• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [LINARO] AWEstruck v1.04 12/14/14 | [3.4.107] v1.05b6 5/30/15

Wait no, Qualcomm added it because its a real feature in the chipset now.
Check dmesg, spam spam spam. Yes we get it, fast charge is on lol they don't want us to forget

Thats cool. Is there something we have to do that will make our phones charge faster? Is it automatic? I know I had it on previous phones. I think on those I had to enable a icon or whatever to turn on fastcharging.

Upvote 0
It just allows us to charge @ ~1000mA (current) when most of the time we'd only get ~750mA. Previously it was unofficial because they didn't know what long term effects it had but now it seems pros outweight cons so we have it in the kernel and can't turn it off (AFAIK). I don't think we could go any higher due to USB 2.0 Spec having limits of 1000mA (current) and 54 Mbps transfer rate (data) across 4 copper wires (2 power, 2 data).

Upvote 0
only to make some what faster is a power supply that puts out more amps like 2 amps all the time some are rated at 1 amp but they in real time only 600 to800 millvolts I found an 2 amp for my car charger just as fast as the one that came with the phone.mine gets full charge from 30% left to 100% in less then 30 mins not bad I think .the phone will vary in general they set at about 1000 mill amps on the components in the phone .if the components are not good quality ur charge rates will differ from phone to phone that's just my experience I have had from when I build power supplies for my cb's hope this helped out some

Upvote 0
only to make some what faster is a power supply that puts out more amps like 2 amps all the time some are rated at 1 amp but they in real time only 600 to800 millvolts I found an 2 amp for my car charger just as fast as the one that came with the phone.mine gets full charge from 30% left to 100% in less then 30 mins not bad I think .the phone will vary in general they set at about 1000 mill amps on the components in the phone .if the components are not good quality ur charge rates will differ from phone to phone that's just my experience I have had from when I build power supplies for my cb's hope this helped out some
U are partially correct just bcuz a charger is rated at 1amp doesnt mean it puts out that as they are rated at max not rms... As far as what the device will draw from the supply it will always b 1 amp unless the source is lower than that... For example if u have a 4amp charger the device will still only draw 1amp...

Upvote 0
blah blah insert complaints about real life here

Truly sorry guys, haven't had time for devving. I wanted to get the GPUOC worked out for another beta but all things considered, this is better than nothing. I've updated to Linaro 4.9.2 2014.09, corrected the CPU table, and expanded the table to 2 GHz

Either reset your kernel tuner before installing or set your boot settings for 1.5GHz or lower. Now that I'm *really* setting 1.6 and 1.7 GHz your phone might not handle it if you were previously set to those and go into a boot loop. Safety first.

AWEstruck_JB_v1.04_beta5.zip - 9.32 MB

Let's see how far your phones will go!

Reactions: stolikat
Upvote 0
Great work Spock! This kernel functions fantastically for me.... I pushed it just to see what my phone could handle and apparently it does fine with everything from 1890Mhz on down.... Once I started going 19xxMhz and up, things got a bit laggy and trickster mod wouldn't even show me that it would scale beyond my minimum frequency of 270. I dig it though and I don't really need my phone going beyond nearly 1900Mhz... It's cool to know what it can handle.

Reactions: spock1104
Upvote 0
So far kernel has been good :) im at 1.5... Is there any way u could build one without mpdecision and only up to 1.5 for my rom??? I feel anything higher is pushing the device... Its ok to c how far things can go but even 1.5 is a good performance boost :)

I would advise against removal of mpdecision, it seemed to fix the lock screen issues you had. Why not leave it as an option to disable as it is?

I can still do it, but would rather teach you how to do it instead if you're willing. More diversity in development can only help. Can you spare about 30gb for a virtual machine?

Reactions: edodson84
Upvote 0
So far kernel has been good :) im at 1.5... Is there any way u could build one without mpdecision and only up to 1.5 for my rom??? I feel anything higher is pushing the device... Its ok to c how far things can go but even 1.5 is a good performance boost :)

I am using your ROM and everything is working great with my proc @1.94. I am using interactive and have my minimum speed clocked at 472. I notice a real difference and have had no problems so far.

Upvote 0
Wxau1MV.png

Upvote 0
I noticed that rbheromax added support for 64 Gb micro sdhc cards and says he added otg support but I couldn't get it to work as it doesn't power the device from the micro USB port. I am not sure if are phone is capable of these things but was wondering if you think it is and if it is possible to add it to your kernel in the future.

Reactions: jamoosh
Upvote 0
I noticed that rbheromax added support for 64 Gb micro sdhc cards and says he added otg support but I couldn't get it to work as it doesn't power the device from the micro USB port. I am not sure if are phone is capable of these things but was wondering if you think it is and if it is possible to add it to your kernel in the future.

I'm not sure if I'm happy with CPU OC yet so I want to have one last look at it, have one more look at GPU OC, then start porting items of interest from rbheromax's kernel.

We may be stuck when it comes to USB OTG. Nexus 4 users found that their hardware didn't support USB power out and have been using Y adapters to get power from chargers for OTG. See Android Advanced: USB OTG on the Nexus 4 | Android Central I honestly think we'll be stuck doing the same.

Upvote 0
Get constant reboots on the latest kernel at anything above 1.83ghz so had to return to the previous beta, 1.03 b4, and have been good again since. Couldnt get Antutu to even finish a run without it crashing. Also kept not waking from lock needing a battery pull, though I think it has something to do with mpdecision. Though this does raise the issue of chip quality again, so results may vary from device to device. Also want to report MASSIVE battery drain on my device, even at working clocks.
I think 1.8 is solid for our device as it is. When it was working I couldnt notice any real difference in speed (still using my latest AWEsome 1.6 build that includes 1.03 b4). GPU OC would be sweet, but personally my views have changed to thinking we need voltage control. In my experience with other devices that have it featured in their kernel, voltages make a huge difference in stability, response and battery life when used correctly. Have you looked into this?

Upvote 0
Get constant reboots on the latest kernel at anything above 1.83ghz so had to return to the previous beta, 1.03 b4, and have been good again since. Couldnt get Antutu to even finish a run without it crashing. Also kept not waking from lock needing a battery pull, though I think it has something to do with mpdecision. Though this does raise the issue of chip quality again, so results may vary from device to device. Also want to report MASSIVE battery drain on my device, even at working clocks.
I think 1.8 is solid for our device as it is. When it was working I couldnt notice any real difference in speed (still using my latest AWEsome 1.6 build that includes 1.03 b4). GPU OC would be sweet, but personally my views have changed to thinking we need voltage control. In my experience with other devices that have it featured in their kernel, voltages make a huge difference in stability, response and battery life when used correctly. Have you looked into this?

Chip quality inherently varies between processors, all manufacturers test their chips to qualify this before they ship. Some are duds and some go faster than others. In the case for the 8930 qualcomm has three "bins" and the voltages are increased as the chip quality goes down. The later versions (8930aa and 8930ab) have five bins. When I'm not testing I run at 1.35GHz.

rbheromax showed me two commits that look like they should provide the voltage controls but I have no idea how to validate it. I'd rather avoid a repeat of the placebo gpu oc.

https://github.com/showp1984/bricked-mako/commit/a08e173eeee209c8b917efa981decc7a1cf31037

https://github.com/showp1984/bricked-mako/commit/77622b4decae02def0907c02f462c9173631b824

Upvote 0
I have a problem with this Kernel. I lose the left channel of audio with my headphones after flashing the latest Kernel. Everything else seems to work though I didn't stress test it or try everything out. CPU was set at 1.67 max and Wheatley.

I flashed it back to stock and the left channel comes back. Not sure what's going on here. The phone is stock except for TWRP and bloatware removed.

Upvote 0
New kernel on the way! I'm calling this Beta 6 for now but I'm considering it a release candidate, I've stalled releasing for too long.

New features:
  • compiled with Linaro 4.9.3 2014.11
  • CPU Voltage Control (!) (grabbed the same commit PhenomX4 used, fingers crossed)
  • intelliactive and intellidemand CPU governors from PhenomX4
  • min frequency now defaults to 162MHz since it's proven stable
  • dynamic readahead from rbheromax

I also built rbheromax's zram/zcache/zsmalloc libraries but haven't included them by default. Let me know if you're interested in testing them with this kernel.

AWEStruck_JB_v1.04_beta6.zip - 9.34 MB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones