• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Lollipop 5.1 pre-rooted update

Masterchief87

Android Expert
Hi all, Here is a TWRP-flashable version of the 5.1 Lollipop update that is also pre-rooted. If you want to upgrade to Lollipop without losing root this is what you need. If you already installed the official lollipop update then you won't be able to flash this and you will have to wait for a new root method.

You need to have TWRP installed in order to flash this ROM. It can't be installed with the stock recovery. If you are still on KitKat and have not rooted yet, you can find a guide on how to root and install twrp recovery by clicking the link below.
http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7037139

-Instructions-
Place ROM zip on SD card
Reboot to TWRP recovery
Make a nandroid backup
Factory reset and format system
Flash ROM zip
Reboot system and enjoy

-Download-
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347834555

If I have helped you please hit the like button.

Last edited:
I saw from earliar post, that I can not return to kitKat , According to you knowlege, are there any plans for a 5.1 root method for those of us who updated?

I saw from earliar post, that I can not return to kitKat , According to you knowlege, are there any plans for a 5.1 root method for those of us who updated?
I won't be trying to find a new root method because honestly that is way above my skill level. If a phone isn't already rooted I can't do anything with it.

Hey I got a new phone I rooted 4.4.4, then installed the 5.1 update (Above) Im still rooted but my phone storage is not showing up, I wiped caches already, any suggestions?
Thanks

I got 5.1 rooted, I think I didnt format data in twrp, I wiped system, on another note is there a proper way to get xposed running with this update?
Chief a factory reset wipes data correct? And I've looked for a list of changes that 5.1 brought to this device but have been unable to find any. Any chance anyone knows where one may be located? And any chance with this update we could see some vanilla roms in the future? Or do we still need to get the bootloader unlocked?

Another reason I ask is because this is my daily driver and I don't want to screw it up too bad since the bootloader is locked and it's not as easy as my s4 or my photon

So I followed this Tut Step by step, When I tried to do the Format after the factory reset it kept giving me a SD Mount E:\ Error 255 ( something like that But defiantly error 255)

I installed the package anyway and then my phone would boot through the New X MAX splash screen into the Cricket Splash screen and just get stuck never starting to the android system. so I went back to TWRP and kept trying to run the format again with no success. ( Hold Power and Volume up Button until the device restarts into TWRP)

So after getting no success booting into 5.1 I decided to revert to the old rooted 4.4.4 So I restarted into TWRP Clicked install. Instead of using my Backup I just chose the 4.4.4 Rooted zip that i used to initially root the phone (Found Here). Strangely after completing the 4.4.4 Rom install the phone booted up into the ROOTED 5.1 ...... No idea how this happened but thought I would share.

Anyone have any clue why or how this happened? Why would trying to revert back to the rooted 4.4.4 would have fixed my failed 5.1 install? I'm beyond confused by this..... if i installed 4.4.4 shouldn't my phone have been back on 4.4.4 and not fixed my 5.1? I mean I'm happy its working with 5.1 but just trying to get a grasp on how or why this happened.

Last edited:
Can anyone give me any details? Basically I don't like the ZTE dialer/phone and ZTE contacts app. Are these in this ROM?
Its a new dialer but same contacts. I've noticed the device is surprisingly more responsive and snappy then it was before. defiantly worth the upgrade IMO

Last edited:
Bootloader apparently is still locked. I can't seem to get alternate (work) profile setup (I could be doing something wrong, not a big deal anyway). Hotspot button is there, but unless you pay for it, it won't work (airdroid has hotspot feature on free app, works with no probs). I like the new setup for camera app. More bloatware was removed apparently. Still testing.....

So I followed this Tut Step by step, When I tried to do the Format after the factory reset it kept giving me a SD Mount E:\ Error 255 ( something like that But defiantly error 255)

I installed the package anyway and then my phone would boot through the New X MAX splash screen into the Cricket Splash screen and just get stuck never starting to the android system. so I went back to TWRP and kept trying to run the format again with no success. ( Hold Power and Volume up Button until the device restarts into TWRP)

So after getting no success booting into 5.1 I decided to revert to the old rooted 4.4.4 So I restarted into TWRP Clicked install. Instead of using my Backup I just chose the 4.4.4 Rooted zip that i used to initially root the phone (Found Here). Strangely after completing the 4.4.4 Rom install the phone booted up into the ROOTED 5.1 ...... No idea how this happened but thought I would share.

Anyone have any clue why or how this happened? Why would trying to revert back to the rooted 4.4.4 would have fixed my failed 5.1 install? I'm beyond confused by this..... if i installed 4.4.4 shouldn't my phone have been back on 4.4.4 and not fixed my 5.1? I mean I'm happy its working with 5.1 but just trying to get a grasp on how or why this happened.
There isn't any 4.4.4 rooted zip for this phone. At least there isn't one in the grand x max+ section here on af

Bootloader apparently is still locked. I can't seem to get alternate (work) profile setup (I could be doing something wrong, not a big deal anyway). Hotspot button is there, but unless you pay for it, it won't work (airdroid has hotspot feature on free app, works with no probs). I like the new setup for camera app. More bloatware was removed apparently. Still testing.....
Let me know how the testing goes please. Again, since this is my daily driver I can't really afford to brick it so I'd like to make sure that this new update is pretty much bug proof. Thanks in advance

So I was on the stock T-mo 4.4.2 rooted via your method, everything working fine...flashed this ROM, and now, I see the splash screen for a second, then the screen just goes black with a solid red LED. Still have access to root.

Yes, I wiped everything before I flashed this.

Suggestions?

So I was on the stock T-mo 4.4.2 rooted via your method, everything working fine...flashed this ROM, and now, I see the splash screen for a second, then the screen just goes black with a solid red LED. Still have access to root.

Yes, I wiped everything before I flashed this.

Suggestions?
Boot into twrp then restore a nandroid or flash a zmax ROM. This is for the Cricket Grand X Max+ not the ZMAX

So far running great haven't tried xposed yet because most of the reasons why I used it were to get lollipop features. Don't like how mipop is gone and the nav bar is pretty large plus no immersive mode is a little odd. Like how its not resource hungry like 4.4.4 was though. Will keep updated thanks for the prerooted zip masterchief

So far running great haven't tried xposed yet because most of the reasons why I used it were to get lollipop features. Don't like how mipop is gone and the nav bar is pretty large plus no immersive mode is a little odd. Like how its not resource hungry like 4.4.4 was though. Will keep updated thanks for the prerooted zip masterchief

I've seen someone get mipop back. They backed the apk up and just reinstalled it.

Back
Top Bottom