• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Lollipop 5.1 pre-rooted update

Okay thanks masterchief. I was going to start tearing the update apart and seeing if I could debloat it a little bit too just haven't had the time yet. Let me know how it goes I can test anything if you want since I have a back up now

Hi all, Here is a TWRP-flashable version of the 5.1 Lollipop update that is also pre-rooted. If you want to upgrade to Lollipop without losing root this is what you need. If you already installed the official lollipop update then you won't be able to flash this and you will have to wait for a new root method.

You need to have TWRP installed in order to flash this ROM. It can't be installed with the stock recovery. If you are still on KitKat and have not rooted yet, you can find a guide on how to root and install twrp recovery by clicking the link below.
http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7037139

-Instructions-
Place ROM zip on SD card
Reboot to TWRP recovery
Make a nandroid backup
Factory reset and format system
Flash ROM zip
Reboot system and enjoy

-Download-
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347800366

If I have helped you please hit the like button.

Hello I am new here and I am trying to install the Z987 Pre rooted 5.1 on my ZTE GRAND MAX X + but I am running into road blocks.

I followed the instructions and everything but my phone now only shows the ZTE Grand Max X Plus image and it will not continue to the Cricket animation I can only get back into TWRP.

When I went to install sdcard1 and choose Z987_Rooted_5.1_20150823.zip it posted something but it was too fast and then it rebooted into TWRP. I tried rebooting the system and it just stays at the ZTE image and does not pass on to the boot animation. Please help me fix it, I don't know what to do.

Thanks.

Hello I am new here and I am trying to install the Z987 Pre rooted 5.1 on my ZTE GRAND MAX X + but I am running into road blocks.

I followed the instructions and everything but my phone now only shows the ZTE Grand Max X Plus image and it will not continue to the Cricket animation I can only get back into TWRP.

When I went to install sdcard1 and choose Z987_Rooted_5.1_20150823.zip it posted something but it was too fast and then it rebooted into TWRP. I tried rebooting the system and it just stays at the ZTE image and does not pass on to the boot animation. Please help me fix it, I don't know what to do.

Thanks.
Did you make a backup in twrp and then factory reset and format system before you installed the update?

So have a day now everything works fine ..don't have any issues so far ...the first software was log with root keep crashing music and game ...but this update is far more better than I expected.. Running multi task with no crashes ...yeah man it bad ....I was waiting for something like this since I got this phone ...guys its worth it trust me lol ....smooth and fast going dudes and dudess ....I will recommend it .. Cause it far more smoother than the stock ..... :)

Loving this update btw. Would be nice to have xblast just specifically for the App Settings module to change DPI and tablet layout per app specific ass the global ones make things a little upset (certain system stock apps won't open past 200 or 240 dpi, third party keyboards image doesn't zoom accordingly, notification quick settings don't go all the way across the bar) but all and all my battery life has nearly tripled, the phone responds how it should have with its specifications, and the all around feel and look of the phone now makes me feel like I have a higher end device in my hand. Thanks for everything you have done and continue to do for this phone and community Masterchief. Can't wait to test anything new you come up with.

I ended up installing the official update without the root. :-( Is anyone currently working on rooting that version?

Is there anyway to get the 5.1 rom zip the link is down?

$$$___Update I found the link and already downloaded it Thanks___$$$

Last edited:
You're the best man, you people are wizards. I'm having some issues with -rw on /system, after doing some troubleshooting and some googling around, I stumbled upon an article saying that newer versions of android are starting to prevent -rw access even to root users. I was wondering if you had heard anything about that, or had any workaround for this on your 5.1 rom. Other than this, it seems to work fine, but it has absolutely no -rw privileges on /system.

Thanks!

You're the best man, you people are wizards. I'm having some issues with -rw on /system, after doing some troubleshooting and some googling around, I stumbled upon an article saying that newer versions of android are starting to prevent -rw access even to root users. I was wondering if you had heard anything about that, or had any workaround for this on your 5.1 rom. Other than this, it seems to work fine, but it has absolutely no -rw privileges on /system.

Thanks!
Its not the ROM or newer versions of android. It is some manufacturers like HTC and zte and a few others. The bootloader is what causes you to not have system r/w access. You can either flash the boot image to the recovery partition or use the zips for system rw(it is a sticky thread).

Hi all, Here is a TWRP-flashable version of the 5.1 Lollipop update that is also pre-rooted. If you want to upgrade to Lollipop without losing root this is what you need. If you already installed the official lollipop update then you won't be able to flash this and you will have to wait for a new root method.

You need to have TWRP installed in order to flash this ROM. It can't be installed with the stock recovery. If you are still on KitKat and have not rooted yet, you can find a guide on how to root and install twrp recovery by clicking the link below.
http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7037139

-Instructions-
Place ROM zip on SD card
Reboot to TWRP recovery
Make a nandroid backup
Factory reset and format system
Flash ROM zip
Reboot system and enjoy

-Download-
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347834555

If I have helped you please hit the like button.
By SD card do you mean internal or external...I have a ROOTED gmax plus...and it will work right?

I've followed the instructions to get the lollipop update with root...I downloaded the update zip..saved it..booted into twrp. Created a nandroid backup..factory data reset- successful. When I tried to format memory card I got an error..tried flashing it anyway from the install option in twrp..it got stuck on cricket splash screen on reboot..had to reload my md5...Idk how to get the update..I ROOTED my 4.4.4 KitKat with masterchief method. Got superuser..and permanent root..this update to lollipop won't work...is there a way around this? I can't even get the normal ota update cuz of root. I'm at a loss on what to do. :(

I even flashed master chiefs stock rom by following the steps..was successful...but the OTA update still failed...I don't know what to do..

I know you want help but there is no need to spam this thread with back to back to back to back posts.

If you saved the rom to your sd card then why would you try to format your sd card? If you tried to format your sd card then you obviously didnt follow my instructions to the letter because i said nothing about wiping internal storage or sd card.

Back
Top Bottom