• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Lollipop 5.1 pre-rooted update

You got lucky then. Usually trying to install an ota on a rooted phone will result in a brick. If you keep pushing your luck it will happen to you sooner or later.
So, how can we install this annoying update? Says this package is for "cygni" devices; this is "draconis". Is twrp not recognizing it as the right device..?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-06-18-01-14-30.png
    Screenshot_2016-06-18-01-14-30.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
So, how can we install this annoying update? Says this package is for "cygni" devices; this is "draconis". Is twrp not recognizing it as the right device..?

I don't know what the hell you're trying to flash there but it definitely isn't the ROM zip I posted in the op, and that is your problem.
The name of the file should say
Z987-rooted-5.1-ota-signed.zip

Download the zip file from the link in the op and you won't have any issues flashing that.

I am assuming that you're using a z987 grand x max+ with the twrp recovery built for the zmax z970. If that isn't the case and you aren't using the grand x max+ then stop what you're doing immediately before you brick your device.

I don't know what the hell you're trying to flash there but it definitely isn't the ROM zip I posted in the op, and that is your problem.
The name of the file should say
Z987-rooted-5.1-ota-signed.zip it's the update error .. I've had your ROM loaded for months.. but the OTA firmware update gives that screenshot error.

Download the zip file from the link in the op and you won't have any issues flashing that.

I am assuming that you're using a z987 grand x max+ with the twrp recovery built for the zmax z970. If that isn't the case and you aren't using the grand x max+ then stop what you're doing immediately before you brick your device.
. It's the OTA firmware update error log that I get with your installed already for months with no problems 5.1 rooted rom.

. It's the OTA firmware update error log that I get with your installed already for months with no problems 5.1 rooted rom.

OK so it sounds like you're trying to install an ota on your rooted device. You're lucky it won't install because that error message just saved you from bricking your phone.

Ok I've been reading all of this about the update for a couple of days now. Here's my issue. I have the grand x max +, which I rooted a while back. When I rebooted my phone, I lost the root. Recently I tried to update to 5.1, and it rebooted into the twrp recovery mode, so I just stopped. But, when I use root checker, it says root is not properly installed on my device. So I'm not rooted, and I cannot update with 5.1. Is there anything I can do? Or should I just leave it alone?

Ok I've been reading all of this about the update for a couple of days now. Here's my issue. I have the grand x max +, which I rooted a while back. When I rebooted my phone, I lost the root. Recently I tried to update to 5.1, and it rebooted into the twrp recovery mode, so I just stopped. But, when I use root checker, it says root is not properly installed on my device. So I'm not rooted, and I cannot update with 5.1. Is there anything I can do? Or should I just leave it alone?
Re-Root. Enter Recovery, And install the SuperSU zip that is on another thread here. I think Chief has uploaded one.

I've been using Mastechief87 way of installing pre rooted 5.1 for as long as its been out. And never have had single problem. So to me his the way to go. If it aint broke,dont fix it.And now rw is available phone works way better without flashing those zips everytime.Exellent job Masterchief87.

I've been using Mastechief87 way of installing pre rooted 5.1 for as long as its been out. And never have had single problem. So to me his the way to go. If it aint broke,dont fix it.And now rw is available phone works way better without flashing those zips everytime.Exellent job Masterchief87.
I appreciate your gratitude. Keep in mind it is hroark13 who first found the commands for rw.

So here is my problem. I keep running into "This device was reset. To continue sign in with a google account that was previously synced on this device. " So I sign in under my e-mail and password, but it keeps taking me back to that This device was reset deal. Followed instructions to the dot.

So here is my problem. I keep running into "This device was reset. To continue sign in with a google account that was previously synced on this device. " So I sign in under my e-mail and password, but it keeps taking me back to that This device was reset deal. Followed instructions to the dot.
Sounds like you've hit the factory reset protection(FRP), and following the instructions, will NOT clear it. It's an anti-theft feature, to try and make stolen phones much more difficult to fence and sell.

Did you buy the phone second hand from somewhere? Only way to clear it AFAIK, is for the original synced Google account holder to enter their username and password.

Sounds like you've hit the factory reset protection(FRP), and following the instructions, will NOT clear it. It's an anti-theft feature, to try and make stolen phones much more difficult to fence and sell.

Did you buy the phone second hand from somewhere? Only way to clear it AFAIK, is for the original synced Google account holder to enter their username and password.

I bought it new. But I typed in the account i used before and for some reason still not working. no matter what I try. I'm almost at a loss :(

So basically I followed the other page that was made about booting back to the original cricket source. That works, but for some reason this rooting doesn't work for me sadly. Maybe I did do something wrong I don't know. But it isn't rocket science lol. Though I do tend to mess up sometimes.

So in case someone runs into the Verfication sign in loop I ended up in, Here's how to solve it. When your phone boots and you are on the Language (first) page, Hold 2 fingers on the screen to turn on this speaking assistance. Then perform a backwards L on your screen (may take 2 times). A new screen will appear with Task Manager at the bottom. Go to it and select close all, that will turn off that pesky speaking assistant. Once it is off go to the google bar up top. Type in SETTINGS, then select settings. Go down to backup and reset, restore, and BOOM WENT THE CANNON! You are done. You have officially removed the verification loop and are able to sign in anew. Merry Kwanicamas!

Got error E:Mount -0 bind/data/media/0 /sdcard process ended with error = 255
says i may need to reboot recover to use /data again? Also when flashing 5.1 update it says
unmount of /system failed: no such volume.

Last edited:
Masterchief87, im currently stuck in the flashing part of your 5.1 update zip. I've been in this part of process foe about 15 minutes and its not finishing the flash part?Just says flashing file 1 of 1 and wont complete process,how do i stop it and start over? Still stuck , 45 minutes and still wont finish flash. Is there anyway to stop or do i have to wait for battery to die?

Last edited:
I tried to do your flash again,and keeps getting hung up and won't complete the process.
so as for now i'm stuck with 4.4.4 with root. Anything i might try different to get it to work?

Back
Top Bottom