• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Looking for help on restoring after a Root

Durke

Mar 24, 2011
Hello, This is my first post and I'm afraid I might of bricked my phone. I'm trying to find any help out there.

I had my phone rooted and it was working fine. I used titanium backup (free) and have a copy on my sd card. I tried to install a ROM/Kernel and when it didn't look right I tried going back to my previous set up that clockwork mod backed up. Now my phone is stuck on htc evo 4g white screen.

I am able to get to the recovery screen but none of the choices seem to be helping me. I chose recovery and it goes to htc evo 4g then to clockworkmod recovery screen. I tried to use back up and restore from today's date and it goes through the process, but on reboot it freezes again. It does see my sd card and I can see the titanium folder but unable to access it. I also can't access it through my usb port.

I put the sd card into my computer and pulled off a copy of the titanium folder and also today's clockwork backup. Can anyone help?

I'm trying to look up an answer but as of so far unable to find one.

clockworkmod recovery v3.0.0.5
wym's twopointtwo v4
kings 11 kernel

Again thanks for any help you can provide.

Durke

titanium backup only backups apps not your phone. in clockwork mod there is an option to backup/restore. this will create a nandroid back up which is a snapshot of your phone. everything will be saved.

so you said you tried to do a restore of your nandroid from recovery? when you said it freezes what does that mean? does it stay on the white screen?

Upvote 0
so you said you tried to do a restore of your nandroid from recovery? when you said it freezes what does that mean? does it stay on the white screen?
Yes, it goes as far as the htc evo4g white screen and freezes. I have tried redoing it several times with the same results. It appears to be loading everything. Then on reboot it goes to white evo screen and freezes.

Upvote 0
First, if it is your only one, you will likely have to reflash the rom and start from scratch.

Second, clockwork 3.0 is used for a newer script called Edify. Most roms that you will be flashing are using a script called Amend. I would suggest changing your recovery to either clockwork 2.6 or Amon RA 2.3(preferred) as they support both types of script. You can find the zip file and directions here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/259446-clockwork-amon-ra-pc36img-files.html

Reactions: Durke
Upvote 0
ok may i suggest that you switch recoveries. with clockwork mod 3 and higher you may have issues with trying to flash certain .zip files. i would recommend that you switch to amon ra 2.3. it is a much better recovery and it has less issues. you can get it and instructions on how to install it in ref#1 of my sig.

edit:damn you xtermedays! beat me to it again:p

Upvote 0
First, if it is your only one, you will likely have to reflash the rom and start from scratch.

Second, clockwork 3.0 is used for a newer script called Edify. Most roms that you will be flashing are using a script called Amend. I would suggest changing your recovery to either clockwork 2.6 or Amon RA 2.3(preferred) as they support both types of script. You can find the zip file and directions here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/259446-clockwork-amon-ra-pc36img-files.html

Thank you both for all your help. I'll try to work through this fix I'm sure it will tell me what needs to be done. Overall it sounds like it can be at least semi fixed which has stopped the crying. lol thx again I'll let you know how it goes.

Upvote 0
Thank you both for all your help. I'll try to work through this fix I'm sure it will tell me what needs to be done. Overall it sounds like it can be at least semi fixed which has stopped the crying. lol thx again I'll let you know how it goes.

You are no where near being bricked. We all run into issues once in a while with our phones. Alot of the stuff we put on them is not considered stable and is experimental in some cases. It happens. Consider this a learning experience. You will be more comfortable with it the next time something happens. As long as you can get to hboot, it can generally be fixed.....it just takes some time and a little patience. :)

Upvote 0
Hey if either of you are still around I was wondering how to get the files that I downloaded to my phone. I have a zipped pc36img_ra_2.3 on my computer's desktop. Should I just take out my sd card and put it into my computer to copy the files? Sorry for the dumb questions I just don't want to mess anything up worse.

Also it was mentioned to flash to rom and start from scratch. Would this be a rom I download or is it stored on my card. I really only tried putting a rom on so I could get my hdmi working in hd. It said I needed a newer kernel. Anyways I am fine going back to my old set up or load whatever you recommend.

D

Upvote 0
Hey if either of you are still around I was wondering how to get the files that I downloaded to my phone. I have a zipped pc36img_ra_2.3 on my computer's desktop. Should I just take out my sd card and put it into my computer to copy the files? Sorry for the dumb questions I just don't want to mess anything up worse.

Also it was mentioned to flash to rom and start from scratch. Would this be a rom I download or is it stored on my card. I really only tried putting a rom on so I could get my hdmi working in hd. It said I needed a newer kernel. Anyways I am fine going back to my old set up or load whatever you recommend.

D

In recovery there is a menu option for mount, then in that menu there should be mount sd card. This makes your sdcard viewable from your pc. Just rename the file to PC36IMG exactly and drag and drop it on your sdcard. Once that is done, reboot your phone to hboot and it will scan for that file. When it asks if you want to flash it, select yes. Let it finish and you will have a new recovery.

Do you still have the original rom you flashed on your sdcard? If so, after the recovery flashes, go to recovery, wipe user data/factory reset and davlik-cache then flash the rom you are wanting

Upvote 0
connect your phone via usb and transfer the file over to the root (not in any folder) of the sd card. before you transfer it make sure that you rename the .zip file to PC36IMG do not add the .zip as windows hides extensions. basically delete everything in the name to PC36IMG.

you would flash a rom from your sd card. i haven;t tried the hdmi mirroring just yet. i do know that some roms like kings gb rom has it built in.

edit:shisshhhhh:eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones