• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Looking for no-frills ROM.. just want to get wifi tethering

Exactly. I thought that flashing the 2.1 rooted SBF gives you a no-frills ROM that's rooted. But I'd personally download ROM Manager and use their rooted 2.1 image anyway. That gets you the guarantee that you get what you want AND you get ClockworkMod Recovery instead of an outdated recovery like SPR.

To get wifi-tether to work, all you have to do is install a custom kernel. Go into ROM Manager, go to Download ROM, go to the CyanogenMod section, and there are two choices for kernels here; bekit's and P3droid's kernels. Pick one of them. Personally I find that P3Droid's work much better for me than bekit's do, but everyone's phone is different. These kernels will allow you to use android-wifi-tether and also SetCPU to overclock if you want.

Upvote 0
Exactly. I thought that flashing the 2.1 rooted SBF gives you a no-frills ROM that's rooted. But I'd personally download ROM Manager and use their rooted 2.1 image anyway. That gets you the guarantee that you get what you want AND you get ClockworkMod Recovery instead of an outdated recovery like SPR.

To get wifi-tether to work, all you have to do is install a custom kernel. Go into ROM Manager, go to Download ROM, go to the CyanogenMod section, and there are two choices for kernels here; bekit's and P3droid's kernels. Pick one of them. Personally I find that P3Droid's work much better for me than bekit's do, but everyone's phone is different. These kernels will allow you to use android-wifi-tether and also SetCPU to overclock if you want.

i have downloaded ROM Manager and paid for the pro or premium but i am still not allowed to do any downloading. Can anyone help.

Upvote 0
All you need is wifi tethering? then you dont even need a ROM, just finish rooting your phone, make sure you have the lil ninja application (Superuser Permissions, this proves your done rooting) then go to these links I provide

(make sure Unknown Sources is checked. *Settings > Applications > Unknown Sources*
1. Wired Tether for Root Users = wired_tether_1_2.apk - android-wired-tether - Wired Tether for Root Users - 1.2 - Project Hosting on Google Code
2. Wifi Tether for Root Users = wireless_tether_2_0_1.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.1 - Project Hosting on Google Code

or my personal favorite

3. Go to the Market and download 'Barnacle Wifi Tether' or search Barnacle if it doesnt come up.

Hope this helps =]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones