• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] A firmware update was just released.. 2.99 mb big, wtf???

I pushed apps into the system folders, they all got deleted by the update. Among those apps was Link2SD, which linked to all my other apps (whatever that were not in the system folder) in an external partition on my MicroSD card. The update deleted Link2SD in the system folder and broke the links.

I re-rooted, reinstalled Link2SD, and recovered most everything; but everything else I had pushed into the system folder are gone. The update basically wiped clean the system folder and set it back to the factory state with all the preinstalled craps. (I thought apps in the system folder were supposed to be able to survive a factory reset.) Fortunately I did not lose any data, but removing the bloatware (again) and reinstalling what I want will waste a lot of my time.

Upvote 0
I pushed apps into the system folders, they all got deleted by the update. Among those apps was Link2SD, which linked to all my other apps (whatever that were not in the system folder) in an external partition on my MicroSD card. The update deleted Link2SD in the system folder and broke the links.

I re-rooted, reinstalled Link2SD, and recovered most everything; but everything else I had pushed into the system folder are gone. The update basically wiped clean the system folder and set it back to the factory state with all the preinstalled craps. (I thought apps in the system folder were supposed to be able to survive a factory reset.) Fortunately I did not lose any data, but removing the bloatware (again) and reinstalling what I want will waste a lot of my time.

depends on the whats being flashed since the update zip does have a system folder that means it was meant to repleace anything u have in your system folder. it also has a recovery folder so replaces your recovery image file.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones