• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MH5 Software Update?

TheBashar

I just got notified of an MH5 software update. 17MB in size. Has anyone had any luck retaining or regaining root after this update?

I'm having trouble getting the USB drivers to work. Until I can make a backup I'm hoping someone else will be brave enough to go first. ;)

can you upload the update zip for me to look at it?
i will see if it blocks root or locks bootloader etc.

alright, i have seen this update b4
its the same as the mg5 update for galaxy victory
its a baseband update and allows our phone to be sold by zact mobile
Zact | A Mobile Service That's Always Exactly Right
it will add the /system/etc/install-recovery.sh that will overwrite cwm with stock recovery on each boot (delete that)
it also seems to want to disable exfat from being used (will continue to work if u use my kernel)
may or not optimize graphics

Code:
apply_patch("/system/framework/org.codeaurora.Performance.jar", "-",
            3e76ff34893b57dec8f91c9b81867d540f5ffd28, 313,
            d44ac38989aea83edd3c08a1bd56a881b02746c9, package_extract_file("patch/system/framework/org.codeaurora.Performance.jar.p"));
set_progress(0.829199);
apply_patch("/system/framework/org.codeaurora.Performance.odex",
            "-", 5377e97470700c3ad5d40cfb140a8c48108fb404, 2792,
            eb0530d20589af87bf4c7b06ad38da4ce49a2164, package_extract_file("patch/system/framework/org.codeaurora.Performance.odex.p"));
set_progress(0.829209);
apply_patch("/system/framework/org.simalliance.openmobileapi.jar",
            "-", 6ca0e1b023bc1f0a3606246a44ab8d985cd958b4, 313,
            d44ac38989aea83edd3c08a1bd56a881b02746c9, package_extract_file("patch/system/framework/org.simalliance.openmobileapi.jar.p"));
set_progress(0.829211);
apply_patch("/system/framework/org.simalliance.openmobileapi.odex",
            "-", f748d7a400ff35457604e80a46ab57aaf54ad9e2, 24568,
            e035b19fe177dd882cda0059fb3ecd8522580a9f, package_extract_file("patch/system/framework/org.simalliance.openmobileapi.odex.p"));
set_progress(0.829301);

can someone with experience backup before updating:
/dev/block/mmcblk0p6" & "/dev/block/mmcblk0p22"
seems to be modems?

I'm such an idiot. I spent literally over 3 hours yesterday trying to get the USB drivers working so I could install CWM Recovery before I updated. :o The cable that shipped with my phone only charges, it isn't a data cable. Sigh...

So, here's what I did:
1) Used Odin to install CWM Recovery
2) In recovery, made a nandroid backup to external SD
3) On next boot accepted the OTA update
4) It rebooted into CWM recovery to install the OTA update
5) After the update installed, while still in CWM Rec, I mounted /system
6) Plugged in USB
7) Used ADB to: mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.bak
8) Used the CWM Rec advanced reboot to bootloader option
9) Accepted CWM Rec's option to fix su before reboot
10) Once back in download mode, used Odin to reflash CWM Recovery
11) Restarted normally
12) Verified that root was still intact.

So far I haven't noticed any adverse affects to the update (after neutralizing the recovery reflasher).

Is there a way to get rid of the Software Update notification? Having it pop up every half hour is pretty annoying. I'm rooted, but using stock recovery and no custom kernels. I have Titanium Backup pro and Root Explorer, if that helps.

Edit: Decided to try to flash CWM, since I've been wanting to anyway. No luck, but my device status is now Custom, so no more nagging about updates. :p

Ill second what brosenfeld said. I just had the update rolled out to me and the constant nagging to update it is annoying. Im running the Deodexed rom and have no desire to update to HM5 until I know I can get everythign working the way I want it

I just got notified of this update. After the notification, I was no longer able to make calls, send texts, or access the Web. Now, an hour later I can receive texts and use the Web, AND can get calls and notifications from website (i.e FB)... No sending texts or making calls, though. Since I'm currently locked out of the house, I'm wondering if I just install the stupid update and everything will be fixed, or since I have a custom ROM/kernel, it'll brick my phone? I'm really starting to get annoyed at the loss of service (and the *app* has stopped working) on this phone!!

if your on deodexed DO NOT UPDATE
if not ur safe
over on Prevail 2 side, Koumajutsu just released a safe MH5 stock zip

if your on deodexed DO NOT UPDATE
if not ur safe
over on Prevail 2 side, Koumajutsu just released a safe MH5 stock zip

Should work just fine on the Ring.

I decided to make an image of it after I got the notification on my device and compared the update.zip for boost to the update zip for the ring and found them to be binary matches.

it just deals with caching
.odex files make app loading faster?
well when deoxed it gets rid of them
but the mh5 needs the .odex files to update so if your on deoxeded you're out of luck unless you flash Koumajutsu's Odin rom

it just deals with caching
.odex files make app loading faster?
well when deoxed it gets rid of them
but the mh5 needs the .odex files to update so if your on deoxeded you're out of luck unless you flash Koumajutsu's Odin rom

Here is what I understand about odex, which I believe stands for "optimized" dex.

APK files are basically java JAR files, which are specialized zip files, and normally contain a file called classes.dex.
classes.dex contains a lot of information about how to use the files inside and what things that it needs from outside the APK.
The first time Android utilizes an APK (such as when it's installed or during the first boot) it has to read the classes.dex and do some linking, esentially creating the .odex file that it then stores in dalvik-cache.

a .odex file lets it skip that step, making the device boot a lot quicker, and also saving some space in dalvik-cache.

Deodexing sacrifices space in dalvik-cache, and -usually- saves some space in /system, for the benefit of ease of modification and the cost of slower initial boot.

This is why most custom roms take forever to boot after wiping dalvik-cache and also a major reason why you wipe dalvik when you change roms

Here is what I understand about odex, which I believe stands for "optimized" dex.

APK files are basically java JAR files, which are specialized zip files, and normally contain a file called classes.dex.
classes.dex contains a lot of information about how to use the files inside and what things that it needs from outside the APK.
The first time Android utilizes an APK (such as when it's installed or during the first boot) it has to read the classes.dex and do some linking, esentially creating the .odex file that it then stores in dalvik-cache.

a .odex file lets it skip that step, making the device boot a lot quicker, and also saving some space in dalvik-cache.

Deodexing sacrifices space in dalvik-cache, and -usually- saves some space in /system, for the benefit of ease of modification and the cost of slower initial boot.

This is why most custom roms take forever to boot after wiping dalvik-cache and also a major reason why you wipe dalvik when you change roms

yeah thats exactly it. I just didnt want to type all taht and tried my best to give a short hand explanation. Dalvik is important (try to flash AOSP over sense and not wipe cache, it will get stuck at dexopt)
but hopefully your explanation will help everyone understand just how this works :D

Back
Top Bottom