• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mobile Hotspot Fix On The Way!!

This is with the new firmware. I had my mobile hotspot on for 7 hours last Saturday and occasionally used it here and there. It was fine with 2 tablets (the tablets on and off several times depending on usage, but the hotspot was always on). Then yesterday/Sunday I had the hot spot on for 6 hours continuous and occasionally used it here and there too (1 tablet, and it was just fine). I usually just keep the hotspot on, no time-out setting. At the end of 6 hours i arrived home, booted up a laptop... and this laptop decided to hook on to my hotspot instead of the home wi-fi router. I download the POP3 emails (Outlook) and got to a few web pages. Then it got sluggish but still served the web-pages. Then ultra-sluggish and I had to hit retry on the browser as the web page timed-out. That was when i checked and realized the laptop hooked on to the phone/hotspot. (My hotspot was working fine before the update too... other than the first night with the new firmware last week when i had to reconfigure some stuff to get it to work.)
Did you physically observe the 4G or 3G connection fall out, or did you only observe sluggish connectivity?

Upvote 0
I just noticed the sluggish performance and eventually shut it off (figured it's about time to turn off the hotspot since i'm already home). Earlier I turned it on soon after leaving the house (4g area), and then arrived in a 3G (sometimes 4G) area (another city). Then went to yet another city, and then crossed 2 cities to arrive home. Bye

Upvote 0
andr01d, would you mind posting the sw versions on the phone you're using, including the hotspot app. I assume they are the same as SamXP and I but we're both still having problems so it would be nice to confirm.

If this is somehow device dependent I'll keep pushing for new handsets until I get one that works.

Just seems like if others such as hjoneshjones had this issue and were able to resolve it by rooting and using a 3rd party app that it's likely a software bug.
Doesn't explain why yours works and ours doesn't though.
Frustrating!

Upvote 0
Hi bluetalonrch, here is the info/settings:

Settings - About phone - Software information - Software number: 2.01.605.11
Settings - About phone - Software information - PRI Version: 1.13_002, 1.88_002
Settings - About phone - Software information - PRL Version: 15088
Settings - About phone - Software information - More - Kernel version:
2.6.35.13-gf1931dc
htc-kernal@u18000-build-144#1
SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 3 17:46:55 CST 2012
Settings - About phone - Software information - More - Baseband version: 0.95.00.1118r, 0.95.00.1223r
Settings - About phone - Software information - More - Build number - 2.01.605.11 CL252791 release-keys

Settings - About phone - Hardware information - Hardware version: 0002

Settings - Applications - Manage applications - All (tab) - Mobile Hotspot: version 2.1.2119112710.151367

Settings - Wireless and networks - Wi-Fi: off/uncheck
Settings - Wireless and networks - Wi-Fi settings - Wi-Fi: off/uncheck
Settings - Wireless and networks - Wi-Fi settings - Notify me: off/uncheck
Settings - Wireless and networks - Wi-Fi settings - Add Wi-Fi network: none (all SSIDs have been deleted)
Settings - Power - Power Mode: High Performance
Settings - Power - Enable Sleep Mode: Manual
Settings - Power - Sleep Mode start: 11:15 pm (it quits at/after 11:15 pm)
Settings - Power - Sleep Mode end: 7:15 am

Good wishes to you guys.
bye.

Upvote 0
Well, sluggish performance can be due to 4G dropping out, he simply isn't watching for it. When mine drops out, it usually comes back in just a few seconds so it is easy to miss if you're not watching for it.

Yep, Sam describes what happens with me. Most apps will retry as often as necessary until the connection returns. So when web browsing, you may just notice a long pause and think it's just a slow network. You may miss the underlying problem entirely if your not watching the status bar on the ReZound.

To verify the error, try to use something that doesn't tolerate network drops very well. For instance, VPN to work then download a GB worth of data or stream a 2 hr movie.

When the issue occurs, VPN will disconnect due to it's security protocol. When watching a movie through HBO GO or a 2 hour movie on youtube the player will hang when the issue happens and I have to restart the app to continue.

I think it's a software bug. There are 4 Rezounds and my office and I can make it happen on every one of them by turning on the hotspot, VPNing into work from my laptop and running a huge Maven build of an application that will require about 1GB of data transfer. Not one phone can complete the task without the data connection dropping and VPN disconnecting.

Also, all 4 ReZounds were bought at different times and from different places like Amazon, Wirefly and Verizon.

I am convinced it is a software issue and Verizon/HTC is not interested in how to replicate the issue and resolve. I've been all the way to third level support and they are only interested in swapping phones and playing phone roulette which I am not interested in doing since I have proven it happens on any device I pick up. I even talked a Verizon store into letting me demonstrate the issue in the store on a demo phone and was able to reproduce the error in 15 minutes doing the VPN and Maven build thing. The response I got was dumbfounded looks and a comment "we can call support again"... yeah right, they are clueless or just to lazy to help.

Upvote 0
I just uploaded a huge file to an ftp site hosted on Intemedia.NET (and burnt over 1 GB of my monthly data!). It sure drained the battery fast and I had to plug in the power/charger. Everything went smooth and I didn't have to re-try/re-send the file or reset anything on the phone or laptop in the past 2+ hours (might be too easy a test though... no VPN and no youtube).

For you guys... what about a dedicated/standalone hotspot module or a cellular/USB dongle-thing? Will this work for what you guys are doing and will this be better?

bye.

Attachments

• big-file-transfer.JPG
    big-file-transfer.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 0
Sounds like you have a pretty solid connection.
I've been through another round of diagnosis with tech support with no difference. VZW told me there are over 100 issues in an internal VZW BB with this issue. They told me there is someone from VZW mediating the issue with HTC but no details on a fix and most HTC techs still doesn't acknowledge this issue and just want another factory reset done.
I'm hoping a fix is coming or the ICS update fixes this but nothing concrete at this point.

Reactions: andr01d
Upvote 0
For those experiencing this issue please do call or email HTC support on the problem. I've been communicating with them regularly and a 2nd level tech actually called me back a couple of days ago wanting additional information and to try a few more things. The attempts to fix it failed but he did indicate that since the OTA there has been an increase in complaints on this issue to HTC. In fact, he said he has a Rezound and the MHS worked fine on his phone until the OTA and now his has this issue as well.
He said a corp. memo went out asking tech staff to identify and communicate this issue when it comes up as it's being investigated again due to the increase in complaints. The tech made it clear they want to hear about all these issues as they work through it so I'd encourage everyone to do just that.

Upvote 0
I received another call from the same HTC tech rep yesterday. He said that HTC has communicated to the tech staff that they isolated the problem and are working on packaging a fix. No ETA of course so it's still a bit of a leap of faith that it's going to happen and happen soon but receiving a call was a good sign from my perspective.
Just wanted to follow up.

Upvote 0
Update: Called Tech Support and they said that SU2 (Service Update 2) was due to release March 15. I asked if that was going to be Android 4.0 and he said that he doesn't believe so, as those are tagged slightly differently than a Service Update.

If that's true, then maybe there will be an OTA before ICS. He wouldn't give me the one-time credit, this time, though, since I said it worked intermittently. Regardless, if we don't get the OTA in the next week or so, they'll be hearing from me again!

Upvote 0
15MAR having come and gone, I called today for an update. No news on a date. So they are overnighting me a new Rezound to keep me quiet for now. I'll take it. LOL

The Tier II Tech Support guy said the problem wasn't inherent to ALL Rezounds, so it is worth a try to see if I get a device that doesn't experience the issue. Seems like a long shot, so if it doesn't help, I am going to unlock and load CleanROM and be done with depending on hTC/VZW for updates.

Upvote 0
SamXP, just do it already. I gave up on HTC and VZW. CleanRom or Bamf (Joelz) will be the way to go! They both have great support! Make sure you load the new ICS leaked update first. I use my 4G connection for my PS3 on Netflix and playing online games, it works flawlessly with no lag whatsover. Same story for the computer, I LOVE IT!!! A lot of the issues were worked out with the new ICS leaked so you have nothing to worry about being buggy.

Upvote 0
SamXP, just do it already. I gave up on HTC and VZW. CleanRom or Bamf (Joelz) will be the way to go! They both have great support! Make sure you load the new ICS leaked update first. I use my 4G connection for my PS3 on Netflix and playing online games, it works flawlessly with no lag whatsover. Same story for the computer, I LOVE IT!!! A lot of the issues were worked out with the new ICS leaked so you have nothing to worry about being buggy.
Man, that sounds great. I can't wait! The new phone is out for delivery so we'll see how it goes!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones