• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root More information about Android partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I m having Galaxy Pocket attached via USb cable in debug mode, using ADB shell via PC. When i enter mount | grep /system the result is grep: not found. So kindly let me out of here. Also i wan to know the mount point of /system.

Once again thanks a lot:)
Not familiar with the Galaxy Pocket, however, when you enter the command adb shell, do you get the $ sign, then type su, and then you get the # sign?
Perhaps the word spacing of your command is incorrect?

Edit: I just tried it on an unrooted Evo 4g and it errored like yours did.
Then I tried it on a rooted Evo 4g and got this.

Code:
C:\Users\support\Desktop\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
HT185HL01161    device

C:\Users\support\Desktop\platform-tools>adb shell
# mount | grep/system
mount | grep/system
grep/system: not found
# mount | grep /system
mount | grep /system
/dev/block/mtdblock4 on /system type yaffs2 (rw,nodev,noatime,nodiratime)
#

at first my spacing was wrong and "not found"
Then I got the correct spacing.

yeah you can't mount system unless you have root access. so if you are not rooted that command will not work.

by the way i love this thread. all folks should have this book marked and read.

Not familiar with the Galaxy Pocket, however, when you enter the command adb shell, do you get the $ sign, then type su, and then you get the # sign?
Perhaps the word spacing of your command is incorrect?

Edit: I just tried it on an unrooted Evo 4g and it errored like yours did.
Then I tried it on a rooted Evo 4g and got this.

Code:
C:\Users\support\Desktop\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
HT185HL01161    device

C:\Users\support\Desktop\platform-tools>adb shell
# mount | grep/system
mount | grep/system
# mount | grep /system
mount | grep /system
/dev/block/mtdblock4 on /system type yaffs2 (rw,nodev,noatime,nodiratime)
#
at first my spacing was wrong and "not found"
Then I got the correct spacing.

I m rooted as well. This is all i get via ADB :

C:\Documents and Settings\user>cd Local Settings\Application Data\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF device

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Android\android-s
dk\platform-tools>adb shell
$ su
su
# mount | grep/system
mount | grep/system
# mount | grep /system
mount | grep /system
grep: not found
#

Plz tell me wts wrong there. Also as u have seen that i get List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF device
Doesn't this device code seems somewhat like dummy?

yeah, that is odd.
What happens if you type

Code:
C:\Users\support\Desktop\platform-tools>adb get-serialno
HT185HL01161

C:\Users\support\Desktop\platform-tools>
Does that same "generic" serial # come up?

(not using adb shell command at all)

Edit: did a brief search about this "generic" serial number and it doesn't seem limited to your phone.
However, perhaps posting in the Galaxy Pocket forums will yield a better answer?
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-pocket/
Seems like that forum is not very popular in the root forum :(

Although, I am curious also about that!

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Android\android-s
dk\platform-tools>adb get-serialno
0123456789ABCDEF

dk\platform-tools>

Now wt next dear?????:confused:
I m very upset over this issue. Btw i m greatfull to u for ur quick replies. Also feeling somewhat good that even expert like u found it little bit challenging:)
I really appreciate ur quick replying attitude towards prob-solving. Keep it up.

Need to install Busybox to have grep on Android. ;)
As in, needs this?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsInN0ZXJpY3Nvbi5idXN5Ym94Il0.

dk\platform-tools>adb get-serialno
0123456789ABCDEF

dk\platform-tools>

Now wt next dear?????:confused:
I m very upset over this issue. Btw i m greatfull to u for ur quick replies. Also feeling somewhat good that even expert like u found it little bit challenging:)
I really appreciate ur quick replying attitude towards prob-solving. Keep it up.
no problem...:)

Yaa mount | grep /system working now :) thanks dude.
BTW wts ur opinion about:

List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF device

Is dats my device code?;)
Nice that you got grep working.!
Now, about the serial # "issue"
I, myself will have to do some research on this as I do not know why it would come up that way.
Does your phone act normally atm?

oooopss:D
No need to say sorry lol
I m also having some queries regarding other issues e.g installing system inbuilt fonts via "adb push". May i share those issues here? or should i look for another post?

Once again thanks a lot to u guys:)
I would suggest starting a new thread.
We can go from there...yay!:p

Thanks very much for the guide. For this section..
VI. A2sd, Apps2sd, and File System Types
I'm still confulsed about A2SD. What actually is it? When I search, I get references to a command, but also references to apps and to methods of doing things.

Also, from reading the explanation about shifting where /data/apps/ points to, I get the feeling that you must move all apps to the SD card. I.e. you cant just move some to the SD Card and keep others in internal flash chips. Is this correct?

Thanks very much for the guide. For this section..
VI. A2sd, Apps2sd, and File System Types
I'm still confulsed about A2SD. What actually is it? When I search, I get references to a command, but also references to apps and to methods of doing things.

Also, from reading the explanation about shifting where /data/apps/ points to, I get the feeling that you must move all apps to the SD card. I.e. you cant just move some to the SD Card and keep others in internal flash chips. Is this correct?
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!

i love this thread. akazabam is the man!!!!!!!!

people get confused with a2sd vs apps2sd. apps2sd is what you would when you go into settings>apps>move apps to the sd card. this is something that was added in froyo. and this is where most people get confused. it does not move the app fully to the card. it only moves part of it.

with a2sd, it is different. it moves the entire app to the sd card. it sets up a symbolic link on the phone that tells the phone where to look for the app on the sd card.

to understand it more please read the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html. skip the first post, since you are not rooting it, and go to the second post. there is a section about partitioning and moving apps section. it has more details about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom