• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Atrix Battery Life

I've had my phone for four days. The maximum life of the battery has been seven hours. That's not enough to survive a work day with commuting.

Has anyone changed the battery and seen an improvement?

I've had my Atrix for about two weeks now and on average get about 12 hrs with about 10% battery left. (I believe I can get more out of the battery as it gets older.) Right now, I run a live wall paper. My e-mails only sync every 4 hours. I only use about 40% brightness for the screen, when out doors, and 0% brightness when in doors. I have a total of 16 widgets that update throughout the day.

If you set your phone up right, you can easily get over 15 hrs. out of it, if not more. I use the maximum battery saver setting too.

Edited: I forgot to mention that my screen uses up the most of the battery, like around 35 to 40% daily. I have wifi on all day too.

Upvote 0
I have noticed after two weeks of owning the atrix that the battery life is average at best but somewhat weird at the same time. From my past experiences with blackberry and IPhone, both of which last longer, that once the battery gets to 30% or less on those devices it goes quick. On this phone it will still last several hours from that point. Of course, I am of the opinion that I shouldn't have to fiddle with this thing to get great battery life. Doing so in my opinion is letting the manufacturer off the hook and allowing them to falsely advertise the devices capabilities over and over again. Keep in mind I am not asking much, unplug at 6am do my work through out the day. You know the drill corporate email, take some calls, read some news, check the weather, etc.... I don't even watch movies on it and can barley make it to 6pm. I have depeleted the batter completely, that's where I noticed the strangeness in the 30% area. It lasts longer if I am out at a business function until late, beter than average chance I will be taking calls on a landline because the phone died.

Really need a good app that would show exactly what is chewing up the battery, but I suspect it is just the phone itself.

Upvote 0
One thing to keep in mind is that unlike Blackberry and the iPhone, Android keeps a constant data connection open, and application processes open in the background, both of which eat away at the battery.

I have noticed after two weeks of owning the atrix that the battery life is average at best but somewhat weird at the same time. From my past experiences with blackberry and IPhone, both of which last longer, that once the battery gets to 30% or less on those devices it goes quick. On this phone it will still last several hours from that point. Of course, I am of the opinion that I shouldn't have to fiddle with this thing to get great battery life. Doing so in my opinion is letting the manufacturer off the hook and allowing them to falsely advertise the devices capabilities over and over again. Keep in mind I am not asking much, unplug at 6am do my work through out the day. You know the drill corporate email, take some calls, read some news, check the weather, etc.... I don't even watch movies on it and can barley make it to 6pm. I have depeleted the batter completely, that's where I noticed the strangeness in the 30% area. It lasts longer if I am out at a business function until late, beter than average chance I will be taking calls on a landline because the phone died.

Really need a good app that would show exactly what is chewing up the battery, but I suspect it is just the phone itself.

Upvote 0
You can try SystemPanel on the market or Spareparts. Both show details of what's consuming your battery.

You can also 'dial in' to *#*#4636#*#* and go into battery history to see detail usage of the batter.

Upvote 0
My battery n the begining was horrible, but after reading some threads i drained my battery ONCE until it turned itself off, then followed some instructions from a guy that made a website called "battery university". Charged the phone from 0% WHILE THE PHONE IS OFF, making sure to plug it in to the AC adapter to the wall, not the usb charger. Then i drained it the next day until it was at about 25-30% then plugged it in again WITH THE PHONE ON and charged it all the way. Both chargers i let sit charging for another hour even once the phone said 100%. Then i wentin and fiddled with some settings such as push notifications and the like. I have my phone set to Max Battery saver profile, rooted and froze all bloatware (that crap uses a lot of battery) downloaded SetCpu from the market and underclocked the screen off to about 456mhz....i could go even lower but i hate turning on my screen and have it lagg on me so i left it at 456 because it seems to work well.
I don't use battery saver apps from the market because ven though people think they work perfecly i believe they cause other issues with apps and over all phone preformance.

After doing all that...which reads like a lot but really only took me about 30 minutes to set up (other than the rooting and freezing) and now i unplug my phone at 6:00am when i leave for work, and with moderate to heavy usage like playing some Tegra2 games for about an hour solid, news, weather, txt's email, facebook, phone calls, downloading apps, and a lot of youtube. By the time i go to bed...when i plug my phone back in, it is at about 40% on average..sometimes 30%.

As time goes on the battery does get better. The only reason i drained it the frst time is because i wanted to caibrate it and the phone. I have read through every post on XDA and AndroidForums about the Atrix battery from start to finish and i felt the method i used is the method that seems to have the best end result as long as you have some patience.

I for one and blown away with this battery...also at the fact at how customized one can make there phone for battery or preformance settings!!

A word to the wise...once you "calibrate your phone and battery" don't do it again as it hurts your battery and Li-ion battery's arent even supposed to have to be calibrated!
They have no memory in them and are meant to only be topped up.

The only reason i tried the "calibration" was because after 4000 pages of people recommending what to do i found the most legit methods from people the know wtf they are talking about and look what happened! my battery lasts for ever....i have even had it last me a day and a half off the charger with light usage!!! very very very impressive stuff...good job to motorola! now if they could just unlock the friggin boot loader.

p.s. sorry for the spelling mistakes...i just really don't feel like going back and spell checking...lol!!!

end rant.

Upvote 0
Ok - no out of the ordinary battery sucking apps. No games installed. Phone is used for work so there is a lot of talk time. Screen saver is normal. But why am I having to constantly recharge the battery? Nothing is running. Love the phone but I wake up in the morning with nearly empty battery power? Is it a faulty battery? Help! Help! Help!

Can you give us more info. like. Do you have e-mails snyc, if so, how often? What kind of widgets do you have running? What is your screen brightness on, etc.?

Upvote 0
Ok - no out of the ordinary battery sucking apps. No games installed. Phone is used for work so there is a lot of talk time. Screen saver is normal. But why am I having to constantly recharge the battery? Nothing is running. Love the phone but I wake up in the morning with nearly empty battery power? Is it a faulty battery? Help! Help! Help!

Also, how long do you spend on the phone emailing since it's your business phone. And how long do you spend on the phone a day? Using the phone to make calls drain the battery quite fast.

Upvote 0
I just registered on this forum so I can add to this discussion about poor battery life. I was also having issues with the battery inexplicably dying after about 4 hours of limited use. Like others, my battery would go from 100% to 70% in under 2hrs with virtually no use. I just got the atrix last week so I was like WTF, this makes zero sense. So I followed some of the advice here about cycling the battery, turning stuff off, max battery saving setting, etc, and nothing seemed to work. Yesterday I decided to do a factory reset on the phone, and when I did my battery level jumped from ~ 45% to ~ 65% immediatley after. I then let the battery run down to 5%, and then fully charged it (while on because I needed to use the phone) to 100%. 14h 39m later I still have 45% left on the battery with light to moderate use. Hopefully this holds up and gets even better over time. So for those with new phones and inexplicably crappy battery life I would strongly recommend trying the factory reset and see if that helps. It seems like a 50/50 split between those with great battery life and those without. I also recommend getting the circle battery widget app. When the Atrix battery monitor first hits 100% charge complete, it really isn't 100% charged because the circle battery widget shows 95%; and the phone needs another 20 minutes or so of charging to truly hit 100%.

"Sometimes you'll find me on a toilet seat, or embedded in a recently used bar of soap. I'm nothing more than a stray pube."

Upvote 0
I just registered on this forum so I can add to this discussion about poor battery life. I was also having issues with the battery inexplicably dying after about 4 hours of limited use. Like others, my battery would go from 100% to 70% in under 2hrs with virtually no use. I just got the atrix last week so I was like WTF, this makes zero sense. So I followed some of the advice here about cycling the battery, turning stuff off, max battery saving setting, etc, and nothing seemed to work. Yesterday I decided to do a factory reset on the phone, and when I did my battery level jumped from ~ 45% to ~ 65% immediatley after. I then let the battery run down to 5%, and then fully charged it (while on because I needed to use the phone) to 100%. 14h 39m later I still have 45% left on the battery with light to moderate use. Hopefully this holds up and gets even better over time. So for those with new phones and inexplicably crappy battery life I would strongly recommend trying the factory reset and see if that helps. It seems like a 50/50 split between those with great battery life and those without. I also recommend getting the circle battery widget app. When the Atrix battery monitor first hits 100% charge complete, it really isn't 100% charged because the circle battery widget shows 95%; and the phone needs another 20 minutes or so of charging to truly hit 100%.

"Sometimes you'll find me on a toilet seat, or embedded in a recently used bar of soap. I'm nothing more than a stray pube."

Welcome to the Forums stray_pube :)

Just curious, did you install all of the apps you had again? It sounded like one of the apps was 'rouge' from you post.

Upvote 0
Doubt it was a rogue app, since I have very few installed and they are all legit.

wow, that is incredible, I feel like it might be a 50/50 chance, considering I didn't have a problem like you, but then again, was your phone already updated to the newest version before the factory reset? Although I don't think there was any increased battery life in the updates

Upvote 0
I upgraded to the Atrix a week ago. I love the phone BUT battery life is SOOOOO bad!!!! Like really really bad, from minimal activity on the phone. So I thought I had a dud so got a replacement, and this one is just as bad (plus some bugs on it like it freezes etc) so I am getting a 3rd one tomorrow!!! QUESTION: What should I be doing with it? each time so far I have run out the box down and then charged fully, just like I thought you are meant to. Shall I try this factory reset? Any advice is great pls so I know what to do with it when I get it in the morning!

Upvote 0
The following is a link to a wonderful article written about android battery level. I totally agree with the author and experienced the problem he has mentioned. The main reason for bad battery is us, rather than Moto/ Android. Actually, they have their share to blame compared to iPhone battery management, but it is not the main reason. I was using iPhone 2 years and accumulated more than 150 apps. Now, once I bought Atrix I wanted to have all the apps immediately and searching the apps around the clock. Yeah, that is going to kill the battery for sure and I also was critical about the battery for some time. But now I am so happy with battery. Just check the link below and see whether it is true or not.
Poor education to blame for Android returns, not poor apps | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews

Upvote 0
I've had my Atrix now about 10 days and have been using it heavily every day reviewing and loading apps, customizing it to my liking, checking RSS feeds, syncing Gmail and calendar, and just generally tweaking and playing with my new 'toy'. Battery life has been impressive. Yesterday, for example, took it off the charger at 5:30 a.m. and at 11 p.m. I still had a 70% charge. I'll take the 4" screen and good battery performance over a 4.3" or 4.5" screen and poor battery performance any day.

Upvote 0
I've had my Atrix now about 10 days and have been using it heavily every day reviewing and loading apps, customizing it to my liking, checking RSS feeds, syncing Gmail and calendar, and just generally tweaking and playing with my new 'toy'. Battery life has been impressive. Yesterday, for example, took it off the charger at 5:30 a.m. and at 11 p.m. I still had a 70% charge. I'll take the 4" screen and good battery performance over a 4.3" or 4.5" screen and poor battery performance any day.

:eek: That sounds like unbelievable battery life. Care to trade? >_>;;

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones