• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Atrix Battery Life

Get the 3200 mah Seido Battery it's downright unreal. After my first full recharge/calibration Im getting 8hrs str8 on video using wifi and HBO GO. Going to do a light use test next after one more full discharge and recharge. I recommend getting battery left app to help with calibration and always let phone charge for 2-3 hrs minimum after the the battery says its full. When you switch to the new 3200 the atrix will be running off the old battery settings. If you dont calibrate the phonbe you will have absolutely no improvement over the stock 1880 mah. When you let the battery run down to 5% or less the first time you will need to reboot the phone to get the true remainder of the juice left to activate. Then run the phone dry off the reserve that kicks in. Now do a full recharge after the phone cuts off and you will notice the time it takes to charge the phone is much longer using the wall jack. This means your phone is starting to realize you are using the extended battery and timings are becoming more accurate between the phone and the battery charge. One more total discharge and recharge to full and 2-3 hrs over and you will have unreal battery life. I was actually getting pissed the phone wouldnt cut off lastnight. LOL Have fun fellaz with your Atrix...

Upvote 0
I have noticed the same type of deal with my phone. I always thought keeping the auto brightness ON would be a good thing, but more then less it seems to make the screen much brighter. Since the display is going to be taking most of your battery juice, I would make sure you turn auto brightness off if it isnt already. Just follow these steps:

Menu -> Settings -> Display -> Brightness -> Remove check for automatic brightness.

I got these steps from this android guide.

Upvote 0
Well, I learned somemore new tricks, this weekend, just playing around with my phone. First, I use Weatherbug Elite and even though, in the stock Task Manager, it shows "0" CPU usage, when I checked the running apps, it is running for the whole time my phone is on. (Along with other 3rd party apps.)

So, what I did was add it to the auto kill list, along with some other 3rd party apps. This made a big difference adding to battery life. Also, with the help of Adroid Forums, I came across this app called "Timeriffic". It allows you to set up different profiles to automatically turn off/on things: like data, bluetooth, wifi, ringer, airplane mode, etc. at certain times and days of the week. This works really well and does save on battery. I would say I added like 3hrs of additional battery usage.

Upvote 0
Battery life for me is quite impressive...on par with my work iPhone 4.

At least it's not a Tunderbolt that lasts like 6 hrs before it's dry. I can easily stream SiriusXM all day and still have at least 30% charge when I get home (~6pm). Streaming that on most other android phones would have sucked the battery dry in about 3 hrs.

Upvote 0
Ah damn. Something is definitely draining your battery. Idle time on the phone at night should drain the battery no more than 15%. Only thing I can think of is something was running in the background all night or you have your apps to constantly synching? You might want to do the dial in *#*#4636#*#*. The info in there is very detailed and helpful if you have time to look through everything. I believe there's an option to check battery usage since last restarted since usage. Battery usage since last unplug is useless if your phone dies. If you want to do a test, after you charge your battery 100% at night, restart your phone and see what happen when you wake up. I think this is a great way to find what apps have been running since there's no human variable that is affecting the battery usage.
So if after all that a full charge ends up@ %70 in the morning on the battery saver mode means that the phone is defietly the problem with no activity..

Upvote 0
When I first got it, the battery life was quite poor, but I've figured out a couple of things that work to increase it, pretty standard stuff but here it is:

-Use the screen on minimum brightness all the time unless you're outside.
-Keep Wifi and Bluetooth switched off unless you're actually using it.
-Use the task manager to auto kill any apps that you don't need to keep running. This seems to be a bit trial and error, as some apps (eg Winamp) don't keep playing a full playlist if you set it to auto kill, but this seemed to make a big difference on the whole.

Altogether, I can get about 2 days quite heavy usage on a single charge, much better than the Iphone 3gs I've just swapped from.

Reactions: hrenee
Upvote 0
In the last few days, when my Atrix is fully charged and it is not being used, it will drop from 100% to 25% in about an hour. My Atrix used to have great battery life. I am a heavy user as I use it for work. Back in the day I used to kill my blackberry's battery by 1pm, so killing this battery by 1pm isn't abnormal. I got a second battery about a month ago and swap it out as my phone battery gets to about 30%. I dropped my phone and broke the glass about 10 days ago, then got the glass replace for $100. There are no rogue programs according to the battery manager, and I make sure that all programs like Maps are killed when I close it with an app managers. Today when I did a battery pull, the phone booted up with the 3 bottom buttons, "green answer phone", "circle for accessing all apps", and "red phone hang up" being tiled vertically all the way to the top right to bottom right of the screen as it was kind of over-layed the other app icons to the right of my home screen ====| (kind of like a visual regimentation to the left). Then when I accessed all my apps, it showed the icons tiled 6 wide. I did another battery pull and everything seem to go back to normal. I am running the latest software update. My phone has not been rooted and has not had the bootloader unlocked EVER. My phone is also running a little hotter than what I remember. 1) I'm wondering if dropping the phone somehow has messed up the battery functionality (again both battery then must have issues). 2) Could swapping batteries somehow confuse the phone. 3) Could using a 3rd party charger somehow adversely effect the batteries over time. 4) Is there a rogue program not showing up under the battery manager. I can't figure it out, but the voice call show a really high percentage of battery use. For example, my phone may go from 90% to 40% in a short period of time and voice calls will be responsible for 55% of that drain. With that said, the phone calls may have been for 20 minutes. So how can 20 minutes of talk be responsible for over a 25% of the drop from 90% battery life. Something doesn't really add up. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

Upvote 0
In the last few days, when my Atrix is fully charged and it is not being used, it will drop from 100% to 25% in about an hour. My Atrix used to have great battery life. I am a heavy user as I use it for work. Back in the day I used to kill my blackberry's battery by 1pm, so killing this battery by 1pm isn't abnormal. I got a second battery about a month ago and swap it out as my phone battery gets to about 30%. I dropped my phone and broke the glass about 10 days ago, then got the glass replace for $100. There are no rogue programs according to the battery manager, and I make sure that all programs like Maps are killed when I close it with an app managers. Today when I did a battery pull, the phone booted up with the 3 bottom buttons, "green answer phone", "circle for accessing all apps", and "red phone hang up" being tiled vertically all the way to the top right to bottom right of the screen as it was kind of over-layed the other app icons to the right of my home screen ====| (kind of like a visual regimentation to the left). Then when I accessed all my apps, it showed the icons tiled 6 wide. I did another battery pull and everything seem to go back to normal. I am running the latest software update. My phone has not been rooted and has not had the bootloader unlocked EVER. My phone is also running a little hotter than what I remember. 1) I'm wondering if dropping the phone somehow has messed up the battery functionality (again both battery then must have issues). 2) Could swapping batteries somehow confuse the phone. 3) Could using a 3rd party charger somehow adversely effect the batteries over time. 4) Is there a rogue program not showing up under the battery manager. I can't figure it out, but the voice call show a really high percentage of battery use. For example, my phone may go from 90% to 40% in a short period of time and voice calls will be responsible for 55% of that drain. With that said, the phone calls may have been for 20 minutes. So how can 20 minutes of talk be responsible for over a 25% of the drop from 90% battery life. Something doesn't really add up. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.
hmm thats really interesting...
1) Unless you dropped it in any sort of liquid I would say it is very unlikely that dropping it would have somehow affected the battery functionality
2) Swapping batteries shouldn't affect anything unless it is a drastically different battery which you make it sound like it isn't
3) 3rd party chargers can always have unknown side affects and just be annoying sometimes depending on the quality and intended product (if it is not meant for the atrix probably shouldn't use it)
4) There could always be a chance that you missed a rogue program so i would check again and take your time to make sure nothing is draining the battery too much.
Also im not sure about the voice call problem, the only thing i can think of is maybe the phone is getting confuse about what is actually taking the battery and instead blames the voice calls...

Upvote 0
9 hours w/ 10% battery life left.

Few hours of net surfing.
On phone for 15/20 min off and on.
Walked around Fry's Electronics scanning items to see prices online vs the store.
Skype was in the background the entire time (was chatting, not voice)
Texting continuous for hours on end.
Had music playing for an hour and 30 min too while browsing and chatting on skype.

Really heavy usage today as it was my day off and was stuck at the dealers for 4 hours.

Here's what my battery said from the pulldown menu.

20110628203834.png

Upvote 0
When I first got it, the battery life was quite poor, but I've figured out a couple of things that work to increase it, pretty standard stuff but here it is:

-Use the screen on minimum brightness all the time unless you're outside.
-Keep Wifi and Bluetooth switched off unless you're actually using it.
-Use the task manager to auto kill any apps that you don't need to keep running. This seems to be a bit trial and error, as some apps (eg Winamp) don't keep playing a full playlist if you set it to auto kill, but this seemed to make a big difference on the whole.

Altogether, I can get about 2 days quite heavy usage on a single charge, much better than the Iphone 3gs I've just swapped from.
thanks didnt know what auto end meant until i read this post. hope this helps my battery life...

Upvote 0
I just got mine and i'm having the same problem. I don't use it much mostly text messages and by the time i go to bed the battery is red. I'm wondering if i can take it in and have them replace battery. I feel it should stay charged longer more so since i dont use it for music or video
Question, what's your sync setting for emails/fb/twitter/news/weather etc? How MUCH do you text and how much do you receive? 10 or 20 or a couple of hundred or thousand texts a day?

Upvote 0
I've been using my New Battery, a 3800mA battery from Gorilla Gadgets, it works way longer then the stock battery but it says 5% remaining for 7 to 10 hours based apond usage and then just shuts off. Is there a way to tell the phone it has a bigger battery? On my laptop there is an app that I run that fully charges then discharges the battery and recalculates the % remaining. Is there something like that for the Motorola Artix 4G? Thank You for your help ahead of time! Rudder2

Upvote 0
9 hours w/ 10% battery life left.

Few hours of net surfing.
On phone for 15/20 min off and on.
Walked around Fry's Electronics scanning items to see prices online vs the store.
Skype was in the background the entire time (was chatting, not voice)
Texting continuous for hours on end.
Had music playing for an hour and 30 min too while browsing and chatting on skype.

Really heavy usage today as it was my day off and was stuck at the dealers for 4 hours.

Here's what my battery said from the pulldown menu.

20110628203834.png

What app are you using to tell you the usage like that?

Upvote 0
I installed the Battery Calibration App https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration&feature=search_result But I really like the Battery Left Widget https://market.android.com/details?id=com.preinvent.batteryleft&feature=search_result from the Market. It lets you save multiple battery profiles so if you use multiple battery capacities you will know how much life is left! And it made the Phone actually recognize the correct % with my new battery. The app recommends recalibrating every time you have a OS Update. I thank you for all the good information in this forum! Rudder2

Upvote 0
I installed the Battery Calibration App https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration&feature=search_result But I really like the Battery Left Widget https://market.android.com/details?id=com.preinvent.batteryleft&feature=search_result from the Market. It lets you save multiple battery profiles so if you use multiple battery capacities you will know how much life is left! And it made the Phone actually recognize the correct % with my new battery. The app recommends recalibrating every time you have a OS Update. I thank you for all the good information in this forum! Rudder2

I use battery Left Widget, and it works great.

Upvote 0
Here are my latest battery stats since I took it off the charger on Saturday - 1day, 19hr, 17min since unplugged.

phone idle 44% 1d, 18hr, 42min

voice calls 20% 30min, 58 sec

cell standby 17% 1d, 19hr, 10min

android system 5%

display 5% 28min, 9 sec

words with friends 4% 8min, 13 sec

android OS 3%

My circle battery indicator is still at 28%.

Typically after a full day of moderate use my battery ends up in the 30-40% range.

Upvote 0
AT&T gave me a brand new spare replacement free, turns out it was just my live wallpaper which supposedly this particular one didn't use up your battery. Haven't thrown in the new batt yet and it gets average use, 0600 hrs undock & 2300 hrs dock and still have about 1/5th batt remaining. Sure it just depends on apps, wallpapers and it's of course a battery hog out the gate to begin with.

Upvote 0
After unplugging from charger wait some time to battery drop at 80%(going very fast...after 1 hour!!!), switch off your phone and switch them on...
I noticed that battery going down very fast and after restarting phone will recognize battery at higher level!!!
will stay much longer charged!
Please try and answer!!!
My battery can stay charged even 2-3 days!!!

*atrix mb860 is updated on 2.3.4. build 4.5.91*

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones