• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mount SD help

Bierklak

Lurker
Mar 8, 2013
Ok, i just registrated to this forum to get some help :)

I have a ACER Gallant Solo E350.
Had it 1 day and i already rooted it.
Today i bought a SD card from 16GB.
The reason i bought it is because i would like to use the card as USB storage or internal.
I have 4GB internal space. If i put the device in the computer, i see my SD card and 2GB of my internal for putting apps and other stuff in it. So that 2GB is the USB storage. That will show on my PC. The other 2GB that does not show up on PC should be the flash memory, right?
I don't want to mess up my phone, so some help would be awesome.
What i do know is that you can edit a file. Called: vold.fstab.
But the files which show how specific lines should be, does not match with my lines. So i will show you the content of my vold.fstab so that you can say how it should be edited.

## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
## - San Mehat (san@android.com)
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

## Example of a standard sdcard mount for the emulator / Dream
# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host
## Example of a dual card setup
# dev_mount left_sdcard /mnt/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host/mmc0
# dev_mount right_sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.2/mmc_host/mmc2

## Example of specifying a specific partition for mounts
# dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

Thanks for your help, just in advance :)

PS: i know that it explains how it should be edited, but i actualy still don't get it.
I am new at android modification. But i learn very fast. And i am not kind of a person 'i don't know how to use google'. I did a research for sure, but i just don't want to mess up the flash.
So i don't want to do anything where i am not sure about it.

I don't understand what your problem is. I would think your phone has a slot to isert your new Micro SD card. In my file system (Galaxy S2), the external SD shows up as a directory "external_sd". (I use ES File Explorer) Select that "external_sd" and it'll take you to the file system on your SD card. When I plug into my PC with the USB cable and mount the phone for data storage, I see 2 new disks - H: and I: in my case. One is my internal, permanent SD card and the other is the external SD card. For the internal SD card, the PC does not show the space reserved for app installation but I don't really care since I don't see any reason to mess with that.

I strongly recommend against manually editing system files. And I've been doing computer stuff for 40+ years.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
What i want to do is swap the 2GB internal memory with my SD card.
So the 2GB is USB storage. I want that the SD card becomes the USB storage and the internal 2GB becomes the SD card (or something in that way)

That cannot be done, Internal memory is just that internal memory.
All you can really do is increase your swap file,

Your sd-card can always be upgraded to around 32GB, Maybe more depending on the phone.

Some, not all apps can be transferred over to the sd-card creating more internal memory.

Getting rid of Bloatware also will give you more room in internal memory.

Upvote 0
Getting rid of Bloatware also will give you more room in internal memory.

This is where it gets a bit more complex.

Your Android System allocates so much for /system and the rest is usually allocated to /data & /sdcard

8gig = 2gig /system + 3gig /data +3gig /sdcard (you get the gist of the breakdown this isn't exact but should be a good idea)

Bloatware can be stored in either /system or /data. Most is in /system so lets say that you get rid of 300megs of bloatware in the /system partition. That 300megs is still assigned to the /system partition and does not go to the /data partition nor to the /sdcard partition. Now if you get rid of the same 300 megs in /data that allows you to store 300 more megs of /data into the device. It does not put that over into the /sdcard area as that has been allocated with what is left from the factory settings and not the users settings. So again /system has 2gig Constant, /data has 3Gig Constant, and /sdcard 3Gig Constant.

/system is basically read only memory and there for you can't "write" to the 300 megs you cleared from it. You can if rooted write to it by mounting it rw and then choosing which apps to replace the apps you removed.

Again this gets a bit complex for the average users. Bloatware removal entales that you have a rooted device and know what to remove as "Bloatware" Best practice is to never just remove but to freeze said apps and see how the system acts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones