• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

(moved posts) Is it ok to put out wireless tether info?

Its not especially risky. You just flash a .zip file that replaces 4 values on your phone. Pretty hard to mess it up actually.

I think TBH themselves took it off their site, but I can point you towards it if you want.
Not risky in respects to damaging my phone but risky in respects to Verizon and them knocking down my door. The fact that TBH took it down makes me think VZ is really cracking down

Upvote 0
I'm pro-tethering until I see evidence of an actual crackdown.

Rants from P3Droid and the fact that they are trying to make it harder are not a crackdown. Messages from the carrier telling us to stop or we get charged are a crackdown, and aside from one isolated case (also sourced to P3Droid) that has not happened on Verizon yet.

Upvote 0
heya guys.... this is old news, even though the article is from today. What I'm going to do is merge this to the main discussion in the suggestions and feedback section. If anyone disagrees, please feel free to pm me.

Thanks! :)

Steven

haha, that's what happened! Here I thought that this thread has been revived from its comatose stage :p

Upvote 0
Verizon Enables New Wireless Tether Block, Asks That You Purchase a Plan - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

.....i know there have already been many convos on this....but since this is a new piece of info i thought i would post it....especially since a lot of people will be hitting up some GB this week and then wonder why wireless tether doesn't work

for the record personally i've never used it, i could care less if someone else does and i'm definitely not signing up for email notifications on this thread.

have at it i know there will be lots of bickering.

Reactions: VoidedSaint
Upvote 0
It still works, just not as easily as it did in FroYo. (Patch+experimental app works fine)

As I said in the last thread, I'm pro-tethering until I see evidence of an actual crackdown. There has been a grand-total of one (1) person who said that he's gotten any sort of trouble from Verizon, and we heard that secondhand from a source that was so-so on the topic to begin with.

Reactions: Electrasol
Upvote 0
It still works, just not as easily as it did in FroYo. (Patch+experimental app works fine)

As I said in the last thread, I'm pro-tethering until I see evidence of an actual crackdown. There has been a grand-total of one (1) person who said that he's gotten any sort of trouble from Verizon, and we heard that secondhand from a source that was so-so on the topic to begin with.

lol like i said i could careless one way or the other. I just wanted to post the link...

but uhhh...yeah isn't the link pretty good evidence of an actual crackdown? lol

Upvote 0
If you want to tether, pay the $20 a month
If you don't, don't complain when verizon terminates your service
and charges you the $300+ ETF

this has been beaten to death. Stop Illegally tethering

I agree it has been beaten to death three times over. ...but like VS said it is new news and probably needs a lil forum time for all of the new people that haven't been down this beaten path yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones