• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MP3 playing stutters!

Ok. I'm a dumbass to not have tested this when I got my hands on this phone, but playing MP3s on my device stutters like crazy. I just recently loaded some MP3s onto my device and was horrified at the rate of stutter I was experiencing.

I'm on the latest OTA version (not rooted).

Android Version : 2.3.4
Kernel Version : 2.6.32.9
Build Number : 4.5.91

It is quite intermittent and does not happen every other time. But it does happen. And when it does, it gets to a point where it gets freaking annoying. I've kinda noticed it happen more often once it occurs the first time. And, this same issue occurs with the in-built MUSIC app as well as when tried with the 3rd-party app SONGBIRD, so I guess this could be an issue with the way MP3s are being decoded (by the processor?).

From what I know, most of my MP3s are 320kbps(VBR?) and the issue is not restricted to just one particular MP3 file, it happens with most of my collection. I'm just intrigued why no one else is facing this same issue. Apart from this blemish, I kinda like my Atrix. Also, I'm running all the MP3 files off my internal memory (I don't even have a microSD card!).

This seems to have something to do with the Tegra processor, as I notice some more stuttering/(inability to play MP3 properly)/(start-and-stop) when I try to multitask while playing an MP3 file. I've already ruled out the possibility of dud-earphones, as it happens even when I play it via the phone's speakers. Can I get a solution at all?

Motorola's support(as usual!) seems to be freakin' clueless. They blame it squarely on the high bitrates, but I know it for a fact that it isn't the problem.

Go into the included Task Manager app (In the app drawer) and make sure that the default Music app, the 3rd party Music app, and the default Gallery app (yes, the gallery) are not on the auto kill list.

Do the same for any other task manager you may have installed.

Also, make sure you don't have a bunch of other apps running in the background. Remember, this phone is basically a Linux PC in a phone chassis. Apps running in the background eat up system memory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones