• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My EVO vs iPhone 4 Impressions

Too bad you cant hold the phone and make calls...

Sure you can. I could make a one-liner sarcastic comment about a whole list of things on the Evo. However, I like my Evo and your approach to 90% of your posts is immature and lame.

I hope they enforce the zero tolerance policy on you soon...

People like you ruin what is otherwise an excellent and supportive Android user community.

Upvote 0
the_big_lebowski___jeff_bridges1.jpg

Well...that's just like, your opinion man.

Seriously... EPIC post!

Upvote 0
If Iphone switches to a more reliable provider, I will jump ship. Til then, I'm riding my Sprint contract til the end. If a better android device comes out, I'll buy it. We all seem to forget that we are all consumers and that we seek the best quality product for the price. And for now, the Evo is for me. What phone doesn't have its problems? This is why i bought the insurance, but I still have yet to need it. I'm happy, all that matters is that we are all happy. Let the people drool over the Iphone, we all know we were drooling over the Evo too. Let it be, and lets all enjoy our phones in our pockets and not care so much about what others have in theirs.

Reactions: DarkNeo
Upvote 0
I'm in such a terrible predicament and I don't like it.

I left AT&T and my iPhone 3GS just four days before the iPhone 4 was announced. What a terrible decision that was. I sold my AT&T branded Nexus One and my iPhone 3GS and paid off my AT&T ETF and bought myself an EVO 4G. Days later, the iPhone 4 was announced at WWDC. At first, I wasn't sold on the iPhone 4. The fact that the phone is made of glass was just simply laughable to me. I left the iPhone universe for Android because of how open and customizable it is. I never thought I'd say that I miss the iPhone. That's not to say that Android sucks, because Android is AMAZING, but something about the iPhone just rubs me the right way. (Nevermind the fact that the iPhone keyboard will NEVER be beaten)

I really just don't the lag on the EVO. The iPhone is SO much more fluid and intuitive. Just, bleh.

So here I sit with an EVO with a separated screen and TONS of dust particles under the glass in the upper left hand corner, and an urge to return my EVO and try and talk to AT&T to reactivate my account and refund my ETF and the pre-order an iPhone 4, which will hopefully have all of its kinks worked out by the time I get it. Definitely a terrible situation to be in, eh? :(

I talked to AT&T before I left and they said they can reactivate your account within 60 days of cancellation at no charge. Idk if those were the exact words she used but I do remember that.

As far as Evo vs iPhone and all that garbage... all i'll say is that coming from a 3GS myself, after using the Evo and seeing the size and clarity of the screen... it just feels weird to look at a 3.5" display again. I don't care what resolution it's at. The resolution of the i4 is overkill for a screen that size imo.

I remember I bought my Evo and used it for a week and I haven't sold my iPhone 3GS so I played around with it for a little bit and it just felt wrong. Having to zoom in to see text on websites and the size of the screen... i'm so spoiled with that screen. I have my nitpicks for the Evo, but not nearly enough to get me to switch back to AT&T. Maybe in another 3 generations of iPhone i might consider it only if they rethink the UI and come up with something fresh. The iPhone OS is just old and dated... Anyway, enough from me. I too am tired of seeing these iPhone comparisons but what can you do... My opinion is this:

Stop looking for reasons to justify your purchase. Just enjoy your phone for what it is!

Reactions: nikkihp79
Upvote 0
I do apologize... I was in a pissy mood earlier and seeing yet another iPhone vs. Evo thread set me off. I should not have posted in here in that manner.

I am a moderator of my truck's forum, and I've been a member of about 15 plus forums... Trust me, you WANT people to post everything that comes to mind... It's the very same reason why you want Android, there are more choices... You don't have to like every Android phone, just the one you picked...

So in forum terms, you don't have to like every thread, just the ones that interest you... Look at how many tech bloggers will make reviews and comparisons... It's gonna be a LONG day for us all if it really ticks you off in some minor way...

Anyway, from my days of moderating a forum, one thing is for sure... You can't please everyone... If you try to, you've already failed...

Anyway, back on topic... The iPhone still can't type anything outside of an app in landscape mode... Sorta like our Google search widget... I absolutely HATE that...

P.S. I don't own just ONE EVO, we have THREE in my house... Everyone picked it through my phone hunting skills... Cause girls like guys with skillz...

Upvote 0
I am a moderator of my truck's forum, and I've been a member of about 15 plus forums... Trust me, you WANT people to post everything that comes to mind... It's the very same reason why you want Android, there are more choices... You don't have to like every Android phone, just the one you picked...

So in forum terms, you don't have to like every thread, just the ones that interest you... Look at how many tech bloggers will make reviews and comparisons... It's gonna be a LONG day for us all if it really ticks you off in some minor way...

Anyway, from my days of moderating a forum, one thing is for sure... You can't please everyone... If you try to, you've already failed...

Anyway, back on topic... The iPhone still can't type anything outside of an app in landscape mode... Sorta like our Google search widget... I absolutely HATE that...

P.S. I don't own just ONE EVO, we have THREE in my house... Everyone picked it through my phone hunting skills... Cause girls like guys with skillz...

Agreed hence the apology

Reactions: KAuss
Upvote 0
If Iphone switches to a more reliable provider, I will jump ship. Til then, I'm riding my Sprint contract til the end. If a better android device comes out, I'll buy it. We all seem to forget that we are all consumers and that we seek the best quality product for the price. And for now, the Evo is for me. What phone doesn't have its problems? This is why i bought the insurance, but I still have yet to need it. I'm happy, all that matters is that we are all happy. Let the people drool over the Iphone, we all know we were drooling over the Evo too. Let it be, and lets all enjoy our phones in our pockets and not care so much about what others have in theirs.

Honestly, with all the problems i've been having with the Evo... it makes me want to return it and wait for that oh so sexy Samsung Galaxy S Pro...

Samsung Galaxy S Pro specs leak out? -- Engadget

Upvote 0
You don't have an EVO?

Nope. Just keeping my eye on it.

Don't have to make a decision until november(premiere annual upgrade woohoo!)

I have my eye on the EVO and Galaxy S Pro. Leaning towards the galaxy S pro, 16 Gb internal storage, Super AMOLED, also with 4G, and slider qwerty. Oh and a 4" screen which is perfect for me. (Since there's an HD2 in the family, i put it through its tests, I find one-handed use to be difficult.)

Upvote 0
Agreed hence the apology

Cheers bro, after moderating for so long, internet quarrels don't phase me LOL... You really learn to just step away...

I have over 10K posts in my truck forum... Once I got married I left it alone for a while... I actually go to forum meets n such, now I play on my phone hahaha...

I feel constricted with the iPhone still though, when my wife got her 3G 2 years ago, I had a phone that didn't even have a camera... Picked it for battery life / call clarity...

Then the last year or so, I heavily played with her phone and decided I need mobile browsing capability... And my brother in law came up with the idea we should all get new phones and get a mad 27% discount with Sprint (we've been with them and we've been with them so long my number's peak starts at 6PM instead of 7PM)...

So I went phone hunting and have been following the EVO since Dec when it was called the Supersonic... I've been on enough rumor threads to drive a sane person nuts...

Then it finally came... The day it was announced... Still, the news basically said you gotta wait THREE MORE MONTHS!!! Then the day I picked it up... Man everything was gravy... Then I got a better look at my screen has a mad light leak into the display white washing the lower left hand (iPhone corner of death) corner...

Still, the fun I have with Android in the first week and the freedom I felt was so vitalizing... I played with my cousin's iPhone 4 at first at dinner, and really found nothing new to do... There weren't any hacks to install, there aren't any new apps I'm dying to try... It just works... Faster....

I can't wait till XDA finalizes the 30FPS thing... I'm SURE all the lag would more than go away once they figure it out...

Thus is why I'm holding on to my EVO, cause worst come the worst, they'll get it right next time in two year's time...

Upvote 0
Nope. Just keeping my eye on it.

Don't have to make a decision until november(premiere annual upgrade woohoo!)

I have my eye on the EVO and Galaxy S Pro. Leaning towards the galaxy S pro, 16 Gb internal storage, Super AMOLED, also with 4G, and slider qwerty. Oh and a 4" screen which is perfect for me. (Since there's an HD2 in the family, i put it through its tests, I find one-handed use to be difficult.)

I'd say Galaxy S all the way, but I'm biased about physical keyboards... But then you are sharing network with iPhone users and that's a major bleh...

If the Galaxy S makes it to Sprint that would be sexy... Still though, the EVO is like the design I like... And HTC sense is so sexy... I can't wait to play with one of those new Samsungs though, along with Droid X... Just to see the difference...

Upvote 0
I'd say Galaxy S all the way, but I'm biased about physical keyboards... But then you are sharing network with iPhone users and that's a major bleh...

If the Galaxy S makes it to Sprint that would be sexy... Still though, the EVO is like the design I like... And HTC sense is so sexy... I can't wait to play with one of those new Samsungs though, along with Droid X... Just to see the difference...

The Galaxy S Pro is coming to Sprint. That is the one with the Keyboard as opposed to the Galaxy S which I believe is going to AT&T and I think I saw T-Mobile has a variant of it in the works

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones