• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My EVO vs iPhone 4 Impressions

The sad part is, I can actually still type FASTER than that LOL...

I NEEDZ me some multi touchz...

I do about 80wpm on the keyboard on the puter...

I've hit about 110wpm max. My "comfort speed" however is around 70, depending on the keyboard.

Yes, it might lag just like yours if I was typing that fast. Okay, bring on your Iphone keyboard video. This had better be good.:p

No cause I made the thread (and others can make their own thread LOL)

I only do 30 on the phone, but reach 40 when free typing... The iPhone is as fast as you can type on to it... There is a HUGE difference... I'll make another vid tomorrow to show...

Then people will really see to a fast typer where the issue is... Cause the stock keyboard is REALLY laggy...

This is exactly why I prefer hardware qwerty. I've hit 60+ WPM free typing on my moment.

I've hit about 110wpm max. My "comfort speed" however is around 70, depending on the keyboard.

This is exactly why I prefer hardware qwerty. I've hit 60+ WPM free typing on my moment.

Dude you are the flipping man!!! I need to send you a couple of EVOs (my brother in law's and my sister's not mine haha) and have you make a video of typing on that insane speed...

Yes, it might lag just like yours if I was typing that fast. Okay, bring on your Iphone keyboard video. This had better be good.:p

Just for you, I created the iphone video too... Only on the 3G... My cousin is long gone with the 4 LOL...

Uploading as we speak on MY EVO this time LOL...

Yeah Iphone definitely needs a case to cover up that weird feel. But overall the design is a step up from the old bulge design from the 3gs and previous versions.

But I personally think this version will be a huge hit with the ladies. It feels like it was built for them in terms of the size and the sleekness. I don't mean to say its a girls phone, but it just feels way too small. I mean if you decrease the size of the screen, its no wonder its so clear and crisp. But I don't know, its all about what you prefer.

Actually there were many girls chiming in on the iPhone's design in a ton of forums... They actually commented many times on how the iPhone look more like an accessory to them than any Android phone ever will...

That IS a part of why the iPhone succeeds... Their execution might be off, but they have appeal... IMO the 3G / 3GS cases with the round backs feel very very bad in my hands... The phone is just too small and I'm only 5'11"...

The EVO is perfect, could be a slight bit bigger even up to 4.5" screen (I have number OCD and 3 won't cut it LOL)... The weight makes it feel nice too...

I agree it's preference, but I'm sure after a while the iPhone would look like yesterday's toy too... Especially when everyone and their grandma would have one...

Dude you are the flipping man!!! I need to send you a couple of EVOs (my brother in law's and my sister's not mine haha) and have you make a video of typing on that insane speed...

Just for you, I created the iphone video too... Only on the 3G... My cousin is long gone with the 4 LOL...

Uploading as we speak on MY EVO this time LOL...

Yeah but that's on hardware qwerty... lol... I'm not that fast on virtuaboard.. no where near that fast, actually. I never seem to hit the right letter, and I'm using to typing correctly so i don't give the auto-correct a chance to help out lol. Plus I find myself throttling my speed due to no Multi touch on the moment.

In reality, multitouch might not be needed the way I type, but only on tests where I rock the letters back and fourth... My thumbs usually lift off fast enough and I know this because all the letter previews come up... If you need multitouch you'll see letter previews skip out... Like if you type "hello" H L L O but hello shows up is when you need multi...

I'm sorta the opposite... I find the buttons on hardware qwerty to be a bit slow and hard to hit... I even have a hard time on T9... Virtual speed is WAY faster than my T9, and hardware qwerty I'd reckon I'd be sitting somewhere between 15 - 20 wpm...

Wow, put on your sarcasm detection helmet my friend...

LOL... Man, didn't think anyone would bite with such an obvious thread...

In reality, multitouch might not be needed the way I type, but only on tests where I rock the letters back and fourth... My thumbs usually lift off fast enough and I know this because all the letter previews come up... If you need multitouch you'll see letter previews skip out... Like if you type "hello" H L L O but hello shows up is when you need multi...

I'm sorta the opposite... I find the buttons on hardware qwerty to be a bit slow and hard to hit... I even have a hard time on T9... Virtual speed is WAY faster than my T9, and hardware qwerty I'd reckon I'd be sitting somewhere between 15 - 20 wpm...

That doesn't make any sense to me.. but to each his own I guess. I personally love the tactile feedback. And I like the fact I can type without looking on my hardware qwerty. A major plus IMO.

And yeah, that does happen to me actually. On some longer words, 2-3 or more letters are completely missing, and some of it may be because the screen is entirely too small on my 3.2" moment.

340x.jpg

Oh man....I can't stop laughing.....:D

I laughed at all I've came across on this matter so far LOL...

The big giant one at engadget is the bomb...

hey-apple-youre-holding-it-wrong.jpg

Can some one explain the lag you all talk about? I not only am new to android but also to touch screens and I don't feel like I have any lag. Maybe I just don't know what yall mean by that. My phone never seems to move slow or sluggish, but then again I don't play games on it. Just asking if someone does not mind answering me. Thanks!

Can some one explain the lag you all talk about? I not only am new to android but also to touch screens and I don't feel like I have any lag. Maybe I just don't know what yall mean by that. My phone never seems to move slow or sluggish, but then again I don't play games on it. Just asking if someone does not mind answering me. Thanks!

I don't see this lag on my evo either and there seems to be a lot of issues with the new iPhone too Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhone 4

So no phone is perfect.

I'm not talking about keyboard lag. At all. The keyboard on the EVO works just fine for me. That doesn't mean it's on-par with the iPhone's keyboard, though, because it's not.

In terms of lag, I'm speaking about the overall responsiveness and fluidity of the operating system it self. The menus, the way things open, ect.

Anyone have any links to the mythical "or magical" keyboard thing I wanna see. I do have a iPodTouch my kid gave me and I'm not impressed with it (I think it's a 3g).

Anywho I'm about ready to get a iPad myself I'm sick of Marvel and DC not wanting to play nice with Droid and CBR's are okay but nothing like reading a comic made for a digital device.

What's bugging me is that my coworkers are getting 3mbps down on AT&T 3G with their iPhone4s. I've yet to see 3mb down on my 4G connection here in Houston when I can actually get one. Even standing out in the open downtown. My 3G speeds are typically .5mb by comparison.

That alone is making me reconsider.

Here's the iPhone version... The 24fps isn't helping when I'm rocking the phone here :(

Wow.. so OK... now I can see the issue you're talking about on my evo. The test that's easy to replicate is simply alternating two keys as fast as you can... e.g. "lalalalalalalalalala". On my evo, it comes out something like "laaaaalaaaaaaalaaaaaa". I even turned off prediction, vibrate, etc... still the same problem.
As pro-android and anti-apple as a I am, I have to admit, that is really f'ing lame. I mean, we have a phone with all these amazing capabilities, and they can't even figure out how to make sure they capture *all* of the keys entered??

This has not been a problem for me since I can't type that fast on a virtual keyboard, but I finally do see the frustration that a lot of people talk about. Is this especially bad on the evo? Or just the same on all android phones?

I just do not get it. I played with the iphone 4 for like 3 hours and the Evo just killed it.

Smoothness factor was insane. The iphone 4 would actually lock up. The Evo with a task manager was just lighting fast.

The iphone was soo slow at everything.

I don't get it either, my evo has been smoking the sh*t out of my buddies iPhone 4.

Its funny seeing all the sad faces he's been making Lol.

Tried one out yesterday. The screen looks much nicer than the Evos. It's just crisper. It's also much whiter. I have the Rev2 hardware and my screen did look purple next to the iPhone4 (I never noticed the tint before). I didn't think the resolution would make a big difference, but it did. It also looked a lot better when you were viewing the internet and zoomed in. Text stayed crisp rather than getting fuzzy (tried the stock browser and the Dolphin HD browser).

The phone kept up with my Evo on 3G and Wifi. A friend has one, and he said that he hasn't dropped a call yet (he used to drop as many as me when he had his 3G). It's good enough that I've considered leaving my wife on AT&T and upgrading her 3G.

All that being said, I'm keeping my Evo. My plan is cheaper, Sprint's coverage is better here, and Google Navigation rocks. I also love the larger screen, HDMI out, and Sprint TV. I love how when I'm doing a web search, the Evo predicts what site I want to go to as I'm typing it (and it's GREAT at predicting). The Evo defininetly has its quirks and some things that I just plain don't like about it, but I think the benefits outweigh those things, and it'll be great for the year that I plan on keeping it.

The dirty truth about the EVO is that once you see the 4.3 inch screen, and how useful it is, you just can't go back to a smaller screen. I really don't care whether the phone is Android or Apple, OLED, Super AMOLED, or LCD, if the screen is less than 4.3 inches it doesn't suit my needs.

Sadly, I am afflicted with less than 20/20 vision so small screens like that of the Hero, Eris, Aria, or even Incredible (even though the Incredible has a sweet trackpad), are just difficult to see in real world conditions such as my morning and evening commutes. Matter of fact, I think I could comfortably go as high as 4.5 inches for a mobile phone screen.

If Apple would have gone with a bigger screen for the iPhone 4, Android would have had trouble on its hands... As is, screen size remains a key distinction between Android (EVO with Sprint; Droid X with Verizon) and the iPhone.

I don't have an EVO. And my moment has been dropped more than 3 times on the asphalt and still works fine. Maybe it's because, I don't know, my phones not made out of GLASS?

I'm gonna have to go ahead and call shenanigans. Do you have some sort of palsy that causes you to drop things over asphalt?

Doesn't the Moment have a glass screen?

Back
Top Bottom