• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Replacement Evo is a Refurb....

After three calls, Sprint relented and sent me a brand new phone, and reset my upgrade so I was eligible for an upgrade when the EVO was released.
So...if you don't want a refurb, call and explain your issue. Sprint WILL work with you. :D

I've done this before in the past.

If you bitch, bitch, and bitch hard and long enough they'll eventually just give in to what you want. Especially when you threaten to walk from your contract, too.

Upvote 0
A while back they have a big issue with losing customers left and right and never had a growth trend... The game is a bit different now and they're seeing the first growth in months... I'm sure they will still work with most folks, but probably won't be as easy going as they use to when they were hurting to just keep customers, not to mention get new ones...

Upvote 0
Yes, a refurb matters. I received my refurb today (ver 002) AND it has light leakage at the bottom just like my day 1 original does. My OG phone ended up getting dust under the screen (which I know this refurb'd unit will eventually get as well). I spoke with Sprint and they had the nerve to tell me to go thru Asurion (I would have to pay a deductible) because the screen separation is NOT a known issue. I told him I spoke with HTC and they said it IS a known issue and that I could send my phone to them BUT I will be looking at a 2-4 week turn around time (this is my ONLY phone) and Sprint said they could not give me a loaner. I am very PO'ed right about now:mad: I will think long and hard when my contract comes up and if I should change carriers and NEVER purchase an HTC phone again.

Upvote 0
I have talked with 3 supervisors today.

1st Supervisor claimed that they have never heard of this issue and he's had his EVO for 2 months

2nd Supervisor told me to go thru Asurion. I told him I am not paying a deductible for a hardware defect. He then put me on hold and subsequently the call was disconnected.

3rd Supervisor I am on the phone with right now and she has transferred me to another woman who in turn is transferring me again as I do not want another refurb's unit. They said they can call Asurion and they (Sprint) will pay the deductible and that Asurion sends out new units (it will supposedly take 7-10 days)

Reactions: Needforspeed
Upvote 0
Edit: Finally good news. The 3rd Supervisor I spoke with (who transferred me) called me back and said she set up a return with Asurion and that Sprint would pay the deductible. She gave me n AAR# and after I got off the phone with her, Asurion sent me an e-mail saying a NEW EVO will be shipped to me in 7-10 days and to return my og phone to them:) I am happy now

Upvote 0
I'm glad you got that sorted out, ghodzilla.

However, I wouldn't be too hopeful about your new EVO not having light leakage. My last 2 EVOs and current EVO has light leakage. Upon receiving my 3rd EVO and seeing the light leakage I pretty much accepted this horrendous design flaw by HTC. Poor quality on HTC's part - they suck in this regard. Chances are something else will go tits up with your new EVO in a few months' time.

Reactions: ghodzilla5150
Upvote 0
I've gotten mine replaced a while back for leak into the screen and my first one has almost no light leak (except the light leak INTO the screen) and my 2nd one HW003 with Novatek screen has light leak under all 4 buttons and the bottom 2/3 of the screen bezel... However, it is only visible with lights off...

So even brand new ones get it, I've not had dust in either phones though, and I have always kept it in my painter's pants leg pocket... It does get dusty in there, and the place I work at is dusty as well...

I think most of the refurb phones in this case are as good as the new ones because in reality, that's how they were when they were new too... This is why if you can ever score a refurb EVO it might not be a bad idea, however I wouldn't pay full price for one...

Upvote 0
My evo has cracks by the power and volume buttons. I went in last night and they are going to replace it. I might get a refurb I might get a new one. We will see. Oh, I also complained of the light leakage.

A refurb can be from many things. It might be a problem phone during manufacturing. Say when they put it together it didn't power on. Are they going to throw it away? Nope. They'll put it in the rework bin and when they have enough they'll fix those.

Or it could be one of ghodzilla5150's returned phones. I hope he didn't drop his in a toilet!

Upvote 0
I just got a a refurb as well. I sent mine back because of white spots on the screen. The tech guy was very understanding, and was quite baffled why the Sprint repair shop wouldn't fix it, or put me on the list for a new one.

I told him when I called them about the white dots, he said it couldn't be fixed because it was my error, I was tapping the screen too hard. He chuckled and said he doesn't have the right to deny me a manufacturers warranty.

After a half dozen apologies he puts me on hold and tells me I'm on the list and that I can get a new or refurb phone. But it would take 1-3 weeks depending on the back-order, then 2 to 3 days for it to ship. I got it 2 days later, shipped overnight. Once I peeled the plastic off I couldn't tell if it was new or refurb.

Upvote 0
Just got my refurb in the mail today. The device came brand new in the box, surprisingly. The battery, charger and manual were sealed in the plastic. Everything was sealed. It came installed with 2.2 as well. So far so good.

*crosses fingers*

Really? I thought refurbs never came in a box with all accessories. Are you sure this is a refurb?

Reactions: manny84
Upvote 0
Really? I thought refurbs never came in a box with all accessories. Are you sure this is a refurb?

Technically it isn't a refurb but I went through Ausurion anyway and still have to pay the $100 non-refundable. But yeah, it's brand new. The Sprint rep who activated the phone for me said that the device is still so new that they barely have refurbs of the EVO in stock.

Upvote 0
Oh, okay, makes sense then. I just got a replacement delivered today but it's at home. I believe it is a refurb due to the word "single" instead of "kit" in the email I received telling me it was shipped. In addition, it shipped the same day I requested a replacement, so the chances of getting a new one are pretty slim I think. The guy on the phone even told me that it probably would be "weeks".

Upvote 0
Oh, okay, makes sense then. I just got a replacement delivered today but it's at home. I believe it is a refurb due to the word "single" instead of "kit" in the email I received telling me it was shipped. In addition, it shipped the same day I requested a replacement, so the chances of getting a new one are pretty slim I think. The guy on the phone even told me that it probably would be "weeks".

That's odd. I wonder why you got an actual refurb and I didn't...

Upvote 0
I'm a little concerned. I just got a replacement because my original EVO's camera flash went out. I had hardware version 003 and the replacement is hardware version 002. It also has a couple scuffs and a scratch. I wouldn't worry so much about the scuffs and stuff but I don't like the fact taht I was given hardware version 002 when my original was 0003. Didn't version 002 have a few problems that were fixed on 003?

Upvote 0
Or it could be one of ghodzilla5150's returned phones. I hope he didn't drop his in a toilet!

Hahahahaha:p I did not drop it in the toilet. Check this out. Sprint sent me a refurb on Monday, I received it on Wednesday (low and behold light leakage, Hardware ver 002). I spent the next 2 hours on the phone with 4 different "Managers" trying to get this phone replaced. Well the last lady I spoke with ordered me an EVO from Asurion and Sprint paid the deductible, she then told me to take the refurb'd unit to a Sprint Corp. store and return it. I drive 25 miles to the nearest Sprint store only for them to refuse it and say they don't take back refur'd EVO's. Well I am on the phone at Sprint trying to get this issue taken care of. I end up leaving the Sprint store and went home. Sprint then sent me a UPS return label and I took the phone to a UPS store today. I called Asurion and they will ship my NEW EVO next day air sometime next week.

So I get home today and there was a box on my doorstep. Sprint sent me ANOTHER EVO (I did not ask for another unit). It's brand new (Hardware 003 and NO Light Leakage or Dust under screen). BTW - The Dust under the screen on my original EVO is spreading (it's getting worse). SO I call Sprint to let them know that they shipped me ANOTHER EVO. They told me to keep this unit and I ALSO get to keep the EVO from Asurion and just send Asurion the original EVO. What a bunch of Morons. The funny thing is when I called on Tuesday to see if Sprint was going to ship my EVO, they told me my order had been cancelled and to go thru Asurion. Within 3 days I have received 2 EVO's (1 new & 1 Refurb'd) from Sprint.

Upvote 0
Hahahahaha:p I did not drop it in the toilet. Check this out. Sprint sent me a refurb on Monday, I received it on Wednesday (low and behold light leakage, Hardware ver 002). I spent the next 2 hours on the phone with 4 different "Managers" trying to get this phone replaced. Well the last lady I spoke with ordered me an EVO from Asurion and Sprint paid the deductible, she then told me to take the refurb'd unit to a Sprint Corp. store and return it. I drive 25 miles to the nearest Sprint store only for them to refuse it and say they don't take back refur'd EVO's. Well I am on the phone at Sprint trying to get this issue taken care of. I end up leaving the Sprint store and went home. Sprint then sent me a UPS return label and I took the phone to a UPS store today. I called Asurion and they will ship my NEW EVO next day air sometime next week.

So I get home today and there was a box on my doorstep. Sprint sent me ANOTHER EVO (I did not ask for another unit). It's brand new (Hardware 003 and NO Light Leakage or Dust under screen). BTW - The Dust under the screen on my original EVO is spreading (it's getting worse). SO I call Sprint to let them know that they shipped me ANOTHER EVO. They told me to keep this unit and I ALSO get to keep the EVO from Asurion and just send Asurion the original EVO. What a bunch of Morons. The funny thing is when I called on Tuesday to see if Sprint was going to ship my EVO, they told me my order had been cancelled and to go thru Asurion. Within 3 days I have received 2 EVO's (1 new & 1 Refurb'd) from Sprint.

Make some money off of it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones