• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

my siii is killing me!!!

Brad Fritz

Lurker
Dec 2, 2014
First off, I have a Samsung SIII that I upgraded to from a thunderbolt (I honestly miss it so much) when the micro usb broke, and aft I ordered replacement ports, determined I could not duplicate the "microscopic" soldering that would be necessary to replace it, even with the sweet needlepoint temp adjustable iron I own, so I opted for the upgrade and sadly retired TB, 2 replacement micro usb ports, and 3 newer batteries to the drawer. This was somewhere around October 2013...

I love the s3, but not more than my tb. I bought an otterbox armor and used it most of the time at work or when out. The only problem I'd had up to this point was when I would enter the apps manager and try to clear data cache and/or force stop some apps. It would hang up on computing stats on data currently used, and not even get to the point of letting me clear anything, not freezing up the phone though.

Well... its about a week ago today that the phone's touchscreen "lost it's touch"! All of the physical buttons, as well as the bottom two off screen touch buttons function normally, and the screen lights up normally, and the body has no more damage than a few nicks at the corners, and the glass is pristine, no major drops and no water exposure. After the phone reboots and reaches the locked screen, a localized "invisible finger" touches the lower center screen for one quick input, but my finger does nothing.

So... at this point, I have tried everything short of a screen replacement, which just doesn't seem practical.
- reboot
- take battery out (i need to do this any time i want to shut off the phone, and its been out as long as a day)
- hold power button down with battery out
- remove and reinstall simm and sd cards
- factory reset (grrr...)
- remove and reinstall ribbon cable for digitizer (larger one, left of cards)
- bounce phone off of my forehead...

Third day aft my phone lost touch I brought it to the Bestbuy where I bought it and, of course, aft going through confirming my ID, the rep said, "ok, no insurance, and your warranty is over a month expired. We'll try a few different things." The only thing he physically did to my phone was power it up and tap around on the screen a few times. Aft punching around on his keyboard awhile, he said that the Edge program would be my best option, though my phone couldn't be traded in for anything. funny thing is, edge can cost alot more over time as you're paying pretty much full msrp for whichever phone you choose, just spread out in payments.

Ok, now for the most fun part. Today, for no obvious reason to me, considering the few dozen battery resets, the display was touch sensitive! But once the screen normally locks, the "touchability" stops, and only returns upon battery reset, which leads me to believe that it's a software (or "firmware"?) issue...
Also, a new error pops up a little aft startup, "s3 unfortunately vzwavsservice has stopped", but I have read this doesn't have much more consequence than an on-screen annoyance.

That's my full rundown, as far as I can remember.
Anyone with any helpful input would be much appreciated!
I am not the most technically proficient, but I am not afraid to dig deeper
than most people, at least up to the point of no return.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones