• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Navigation App Question

jason-567

When i want to use my phone as a sat nav using the navigation app if i drive through a place with only GPRS internet will it stop showing the directions or does it all load up before you set off??
If that makes sense.

If you set your destination before you leave (using 3G or wi-fi), it should store the route on SD card. It will only need to connect to 3G again is you deviate from the route by a significant amount.

Possibly, I've only started using it very recently. The info above is my understanding after reading other posts on the topic.....

EDIT: Been reading some other forum threads about the subject. The most I can find is that Google Maps downloads all the route maps for your journey when you first select a destination, and places it in a cache. Nav will use the cached info during your journey and will recalculate the route if you make a minor deviation, such as missing a turn. If you deviate too far (beyond the limits of the map data stored in the cache), then you will need a 3G connection to pull down the extra maps for your current position and proposed route.

When I first got my phone I only had a 2G SIM. Maps/Navigate works fine with just GPRS (o.k. it's a bit slow to update).

Back
Top Bottom