• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need some assitance, save me from sending it in (hopefully)

Bomfy

Mar 21, 2011
Hi guys,

So I just got my TB activated and everything, the Verizon system issue slowed things down a great bit.

So I had the phone and hooked up, wifi and emails added. I went to add in amazon, since I grabbed Angry Birds Rio.

Phone told me I needed and SD card installed.

First thing was power down and check, it's there and looks like a SD should.

Powered back up and had no luck. Called HTC and after about an hour and a half and a couple factory resets later she concluded that since I have no 'disk drive' setting under connect to PC that my whole phone is jacked and not just the card.

She had me attempt format as well and nothing.

The no sd card installed symbol, a little sd card with a ? in it in the upper left corner appears.

She admitted she had no clue really about the phone and grabbed on and spent a lot of time going through her guide books.

I just would like to know if there is anyone who has this issue and addressed it. My search came up useless.

Other than that, it appears to be a damn fine phone.

Did you have the phone connected to the computer when you first powered on the phone? Sounds like you may have had the computer reading the card at the same time as the phone was trying to read it. Have you tried a different SD card, one that's formatted hopefully? Try a new card to eliminate the possibility that it's the phone.

Reactions: Bomfy
Upvote 0
TxGoat, in a totally platonic way I love you.

I have a bunk SD card. Checked with 3 others I have laying around and they all work.

Hopefully i can just send the card in and not the whole phone like the person at HTC said.

have you tried plugging the 32GB card into your computer and seeing if it reads there? Maybe try formatting it on the computer instead of the phone? Did you buy it at a Verizon store? Maybe swap the memory there so you aren't waiting for a replacement?

Upvote 0
I had the exact same issue. It turned out I just needed to reseat the oem sd card. (pop it out and then back in and all was well). I guess it was never put in correctly or something.

I tried that first off and it was no good.

have you tried plugging the 32GB card into your computer and seeing if it reads there? Maybe try formatting it on the computer instead of the phone? Did you buy it at a Verizon store? Maybe swap the memory there so you aren't waiting for a replacement?

I tried that and Windows wanted to format it. I attempted and it would not format.

I know this is a no brainer and i might catch criticism for saying it, but just go back to verizon tomorrow (last day for true unlimted 4g data) and get another one, i mean your within your 14 days...

right?, im sure they wont have a clue, so they will give you another one

I can't go back to Verizon since I got it from Wirefly. I kind of wish I did get if from Verizon now, well a little.

I'm trying to do what I can to minimize time without the phone, since I have limped my old one along so long I'd had to use it again even for a week.

Upvote 0
Well, after starting on the phone with HTC at 5am and getting bumped to the section that specifically handles the Thunderbolt there appears to be no way to just get the card replaced.

The guy was certain his fix would work. Take out the battery, sd card, and hold the power button down for a minute. Too bad it did not work. He also said they don't cover anything with the cards, so the phone has to go back to Wirefly.

Wirefly after asking me 4 times if I installed the card in the correct slot has started the process for me to send the phone back and I guess hopefully the process will be quick. The guy said quality assurance checking could take a day or two, and to anticipate 7 business days.

Well, I guess shit happens. I am bummed nonetheless.

Upvote 0
Well, after starting on the phone with HTC at 5am and getting bumped to the section that specifically handles the Thunderbolt there appears to be no way to just get the card replaced.

The guy was certain his fix would work. Take out the battery, sd card, and hold the power button down for a minute. Too bad it did not work. He also said they don't cover anything with the cards, so the phone has to go back to Wirefly.

Wirefly after asking me 4 times if I installed the card in the correct slot has started the process for me to send the phone back and I guess hopefully the process will be quick. The guy said quality assurance checking could take a day or two, and to anticipate 7 business days.

Well, I guess shit happens. I am bummed nonetheless.

PM me your order number and I will see what I can do to get this expedited for you. :)

Upvote 0
So, this is the final bump, I believe.

Wirefly came through greatly. They called me today and shipped out a new TB and I should have it by Monday. That's stellar, since the other one isn't going to be delivered to them until Thursday next week.

So looks like I shall be back in TB form in 72ish hours. :D

Upvote 0
That's odd. I think based on how much logistics would be involved (you having to send the phone back and them sending you a new one, and then activating your new one, deactivating your old one) that they'd just send you a replacement 32 GB card and have you send back the 32 GB card.

Oh and I haven't looked that closely at a Micro SD card in awhile, but is there a write-protected switch on it anywhere?

And finally, the one thing you should've considered doing, going out and buying a 32 GB SD card at an electronics store (Same make, class etc) and just returning that card. I know that seems kind of shady, but if you're sending it back to the same manufacturer, then who cares if it was supplied with the TB or was one you bought at a store?

Upvote 0
I asked about getting another card and they said it was an impossibility. I thought it was strange myself, but I was told by multiple people it could not happen.

The card itself doesn't have one, unless I missed it completely.

I was recommended the buy and swap method by my brother. besides it being too shady for me. I checked priced real quick and the same card seems to be in the area of $70. That was Google shopping only the first page.

To be honest $70 is a ton of cash for me right now. I saved up for the phone and reworked my budget a little to fit in the unlimited data. The TB is my treat for the year, unless work gets a hell of a lot better.

Upvote 0
I asked about getting another card and they said it was an impossibility. I thought it was strange myself, but I was told by multiple people it could not happen.

The card itself doesn't have one, unless I missed it completely.

I was recommended the buy and swap method by my brother. besides it being too shady for me. I checked priced real quick and the same card seems to be in the area of $70. That was Google shopping only the first page.

To be honest $70 is a ton of cash for me right now. I saved up for the phone and reworked my budget a little to fit in the unlimited data. The TB is my treat for the year, unless work gets a hell of a lot better.

I think as long as you buy the same name brand of 32 GB card, wouldn't seem shady. Now if you bought a Patriot and the disk inside is a Sandisk then that would be shady and would be caught by the person doing the refund. I'd say it's not as shady since you're returning a defective card to the manufacturer, but to each their own. I would've done it because otherwise I'm the one that is inconvenienced because the manufacturer of the Micro-SD put a defective card. Let them get their defective card back I say.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones