• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Never leaving Serendipity again

well I have been a flashing fool and I must say I too came back to serendipity I just love it. However I used to get great battery life and now it really sucks so I am gonna flash the paragon kernel also. Does your phone have to be fully charged to flash the kernel like when you flash a rom or does it not matter?

thanks

BTW is there a way to get the stock mail app back ?

My battery was almost full when I flashed it. Not sure if it makes a difference. Probably fuller the better.
Check here for the Samsung Email app. Serendipity Kitchen

ok i really liked the swype keyboard from cog 4 i tried to do the same thing but swype just force closes is there a way to fix this

I've always heard Serendipity is a nice ROM but I have a problem with a few things.

I dislike the Launcher and the vertical scrolling of the apps. I also dislike the colorless icons in the menus/settings. If they'd fix those, I'd probably try it.

ok i really liked the swype keyboard from cog 4 i tried to do the same thing but swype just force closes is there a way to fix this
There's another file that has to be put into place when you install a different Swype keyboard, I know I saw it discussed somewhere over on XDA - probably in the Serendipity thread. Sorry I can't pinpoint it for you.

no worries i got it from the website in add on's and i like it better

flashing the paragon kernal now will see how battery goes

no worries i got it from the website in add on's and i like it better

flashing the paragon kernal now will see how battery goes

I know it is subjective but man it does seem alot faster!!!!

not night and day but for sure a lil snappier

:)

I've always heard Serendipity is a nice ROM but I have a problem with a few things.

I dislike the Launcher and the vertical scrolling of the apps. I also dislike the colorless icons in the menus/settings. If they'd fix those, I'd probably try it.

I don't use the stock launcher either. Started using ADW Launcher after some issues with LauncherPro (used LP for quite a few ROMs). Try them both and get the look you want. As far as icons go, there are hundreds of choices. Its not really up to them to fix anything. I love being able to customize my phone endlessly. Right now I'm using Widgetlocker for the lockscreen. ADW for my main launcher and Desktop Visualizer for changing any and all icons on the desktop screens.

I also dislike the colorless icons in the menus/settings.

The Serendipity kitchen includes an option for colored settings.

Add-ons - Serendipity

Once you select the colored settings from the menu (adjacent to fried rice), click on Build Package and you'll be presented with a custom download to be inserted in your phone.

So...no more excuses. You have launcher alternatives as presented above, and now colored settings. Flash Serendipity, then the Paragon kernel to achieve an optimal setup.

I ran Serendipity 5.09...5.12 for a few weeks. In my case battery performance was terrible. I am trying ParagonRC 6.0 and my battery performance seems ~ 30% better. The GPS performance is also amazing.

So...no more excuses. You have launcher alternatives as presented above, and now colored settings. Flash Serendipity, then the Paragon kernel to achieve an optimal setup.

I guess I'm more interested in getting the std TouchWiz look back - I hate LauncherPro.

Can I ask what you hate about it? Because I hate TouchWiz. I like the up and down scrolling in the app drawer, right off the bat.

Personally, I like the ease of use of TouchWiz and the configuration.

I dislike the vertical scrolling because it never fails, I always start too low on the screen and the scrolling doesn't start - Whereas from left to right, you can'tbe too far left or right. Hope that makes sense.

ADW lets you scroll the app drawer either way you want. Up, down, left, right and maybe some configs I haven't tried.

I'd rather be in Alabama anyways! ROLL TIDE ROLL!!! ;-)

I've thought about flashing something other than Serendipity too, but I KNOW that I will feel just like you did and come right back to it! I've gone as far as downloading plenty of other ROMs saying that I was about to flash it, but set the phone down and walked away. Thats how much I love this ROM! IF I was to ever try one, Paragon would be my choice though....just not sure if I will ever do it. I'm looking forward to the next full rebuild of Serendipity! C'mon 6.0!

+1 Serendipity 5.12 with Paragon's 1200hz kernel made me fall in love with my phone all over again

well all i can say is the paragon kernal rocks

by battery is back to normal

everything is running great

@ vilamonster:

P.S. Kernels are device-specific and modems are location-specific. Results of an individual utilizing these mods aren't necessarily applicable to another's device.

Is there some link to help do this? I have Serendipity 6.3 but would be interested in this procedure.

thanks.

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

That's the upload for Paragon6. But after running Paragon, I would say in my opinion, there are some better kernels. I don't know if you're looking for speed or battery saving ability, but I think my two favorites are SpeedMod k13c and Onix 2.0.3. I used k13c for about a month and it increased my battery life from about 8 hours to about 48 hours (using Serendipity 5.12 as well). Now I'm running the Onix 2.0.3 1000 Hz kernel. I love it. Absolutely blazing fast. And I'm getting about 18 hours of battery life on it. It would last even longer if I were to go to the 100 hz though. The lagfix seems to work rather well on Onix too. Let me know what you think. Of course it's all relative, so you're going to have to give them a try. But the SGS KF is a god-send.

Back
Top Bottom