• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New Leak from TBH Android 2.2.1 Build # 2.3.320!

I haven't been keeping up with updates, so flashing the sbf seems to be the best way forward rather then risk a brick.

+1 Good advice. I also SBFed and started clean before the update and had no problems whatsoever.

Possible alternative to your Step #4 would be:

Install TranQ 3.5. For me, it provides the best DroidX experience out there. And buying the Team Black Hat app supports the folks who brought you the leak!

Upvote 0
I've been away from the Android scene for awhile, whats this TeamBlackHat about? They release ROMS, etc.?

And is there app like Rom Manager?

Yes it is comparable to Rom Manager. Not as easy to use as Rom Manager is but just as valuable to the Android community. It's P3's app and he/they are responsible for many of the leaked goodies we have seen for the DX so far.

GMB

Upvote 0
The "worst release ever" comment was a nudge, for sure. It was in response to P3's tweet stating that this was the "best release ever", and him stating in the thread that he meant the best roll-out of a new leak.

Yeah, I went for a slap there.

But, I'll paraphrase a PM, that I wrote, regarding that thread/release:

"Previous leaks were system only, at first, and as such allowed more of a community testing phase, with less potential damage". "Also, there appears to be a potential issue that newer models, or re-furbished models, may be more prone to bricking in this leak, and it has not been addressed enough to be sure that releasing a new leak with a boot update is warranted, over a simple system update, that of which is already being used in some of the newer ROMs".

I fully appreciate what they, and other's, like Koush, have done for the X. I have paid for, or donated, to almost every member/group/app that has gone into helping the X community, and without them, I wouldn't have returned my X, but I would not have been nearly as satisfied.

However, that doesn't warrant the disdain in that thread, of suggestions like "you don't deserve an SBF", "we warned you", "oh, I don't know what the error means, but it must be your fault".

I haven't updated yet, but if you like, I'll do it right now. I'll risk a brick, and likely won't have one, because I bought my X on day 0. I also don't see any need to update, nor have I seen any reason why the release of a kernel/boot release was necessary, before more testing was done, or an SBF was available or expected.

People are sending their phones in for replacement in that thread.

But for what reason?

I'm not trying to be a jerk. Don't kill the messenger. I just think that clearly the warnings in the original thread weren't severe enough to make it understood what the risks are, vs. rewards, at this time, and the thread appears to be a guinea pig group of testers, rather than a group that's appreciating some substantiated improvement in their device.

I mean no disrespect. I only mean to re-iterate what 50 pages of "oh s**t, I followed instructions, but your original broken SBF file ruined my built in recovery" has caused, and will continue to cause.

I just don't see the reward here. Especially when there are ROMs that already use the generic 2.2.1 system, without requiring the risk of updating the boot.

I see a lot of I don't know coming from you...So this is what I do know.

27K downloads (I'm sure quite a bit are repetitive) but only those with problems are posting so I'm going to assume that 95 - 97 percent of people have had no problems.

You have the right to bitch, which you have done profusely, and the right to complain, again you are at it again. But there are real problems that are attempting to be resolved. If you have some insight or understanding that can contribute to the solutions I'm more than happy to listen to them and see if they work.

But in the meanwhile you are contributing very little to improving the experience of the community.

I take it as a personal affront some of the things you have wrote, and no I don't worry about you or your comments but knowing the number of hours that go into releasing a single leak, and the risks that people take, not just people but my friends. I get a little agitated with you.

So yep, there are things going on that you don't understand, yep we are working on solving all of the problems that users are experiencing, and yep I encourage you to steer clear of the release and any future releases if that is your personal desire. But do not insult the effort put in by good people.

We do not get paid, we do this for fun. Just so you know how much we like giving back while asking nothing. We all have our own unique phones and our experiences would allow us to do whatever we please with our phones, yet we work on behalf of the community. We have a stated goal of improving the communities experience with their Moto Device. That is why we do this.

Upvote 0
I see a lot of I don't know coming from you...So this is what I do know.

27K downloads (I'm sure quite a bit are repetitive) but only those with problems are posting so I'm going to assume that 95 - 97 percent of people have had no problems.

You have the right to bitch, which you have done profusely, and the right to complain, again you are at it again. But there are real problems that are attempting to be resolved. If you have some insight or understanding that can contribute to the solutions I'm more than happy to listen to them and see if they work.

But in the meanwhile you are contributing very little to improving the experience of the community.

I take it as a personal affront some of the things you have wrote, and no I don't worry about you or your comments but knowing the number of hours that go into releasing a single leak, and the risks that people take, not just people but my friends. I get a little agitated with you.

So yep, there are things going on that you don't understand, yep we are working on solving all of the problems that users are experiencing, and yep I encourage you to steer clear of the release and any future releases if that is your personal desire. But do not insult the effort put in by good people.

We do not get paid, we do this for fun. Just so you know how much we like giving back while asking nothing. We all have our own unique phones and our experiences would allow us to do whatever we please with our phones, yet we work on behalf of the community. We have a stated goal of improving the communities experience with their Moto Device. That is why we do this.

Your response validates my statement.

I'm sorry that my warning made you offended and butt-hurt, but from the tone of many of your responses to people on MDW, that seems to happen a lot.

Upvote 0
If I install the update threw the TBH app should it be full proof or could I still encounter problems?

You need to read the instructions in the post at MWD thoroughly, and make sure you can find a good copy of the system sbf, just in case.

And no, anytime you do something like this, you take some risk. Just be careful, and do everything exactly as explained.

I would also back everything up that's important first, do a factory reset/wipe, then do an SBF flash with the SBF that is correct for your firmware/software, and then do the actual update, following their list of instructions exactly.

If you're not sure, uncomfortable, or don't have a backup phone to use, just wait until a full SBF is out.

/Just for the sake of clarity, I'm not sure what you mean by installing it through the TBF app (unless I missed an update, and things changed). The app is really a downloading tool, and way to say thanks by purchasing it, than something that installs anything. You would use the app to grab the file, and then follow the instructions in their post, to install it.

//Also, the SBF for the new release is not in the app, that I can see, at this time.

Upvote 0
I'm advising all newbies or intermediatebies to hold off until there's a full sbf, because the system only sbf may not help you if you brick. There are a lot of bricked people right now, who have no way to recover. It doesn't seem as if the risk is worth the benefits at this point.

Don't get me wrong. I fully support (and pay) devs like Fab and P3, but I want to look out for people so they don't get into trouble and get in over their heads with this.

I toldja so!

Reactions: bladebarrier
Upvote 0
I'm advising all newbies or intermediatebies to hold off until there's a full sbf, because the system only sbf may not help you if you brick. There are a lot of bricked people right now, who have no way to recover. It doesn't seem as if the risk is worth the benefits at this point.

Don't get me wrong. I fully support (and pay) devs like Fab and P3, but I want to look out for people so they don't get into trouble and get in over their heads with this.

I toldja so!

My people skills aren't as good as yours; at least when written.

Your post summed up exactly what I was trying to go for, when I initially posted in this thread. Consequently I created a bit of tension, that I did not intend for.

It's sound advice that you're giving. Maybe I should have had you proof-read my earlier post, before I started murking up the water :D

Upvote 0
You need to read the instructions in the post at MWD thoroughly, and make sure you can find a good copy of the system sbf, just in case.

And no, anytime you do something like this, you take some risk. Just be careful, and do everything exactly as explained.

I would also back everything up that's important first, do a factory reset/wipe, then do an SBF flash with the SBF that is correct for your firmware/software, and then do the actual update, following their list of instructions exactly.

If you're not sure, uncomfortable, or don't have a backup phone to use, just wait until a full SBF is out.

/Just for the sake of clarity, I'm not sure what you mean by installing it through the TBF app (unless I missed an update, and things changed). The app is really a downloading tool, and way to say thanks by purchasing it, than something that installs anything. You
would use the app to grab the file, and then follow the instructions in their post, to install it.

//Also, the SBF for the new release is not in the app, that I can see, at this time.

Yeah I downloaded the TBH app and they have the 2.2.1 Blur 2.3.320 update ready for downloading. If that's not full proof then I will take your warnings and wait for the .sbf file. No need to brick my phone a second time :-D

Upvote 0
For anyone that has installed the leak and has/had the 3G dropping issue. Does the leak fix the issue?

I have issues because I am on the 34th floor downtown Denver. It goes back and forth between 3G and 1x. The update does not make it any better. My old iphone 3G did the same thing until ATT 'upgraded" the area. Then it showed 5 bars of 3G all the time. I still couldn't get a decent connection, but I had 5 bar of 3G :)

I do like the update and TranQ3.5. My only complain is I do not see any options with the TranQ launcher. I would like to be able to change the apps and possibly make the notification screen transparent. I went back to LPP.

Upvote 0
For me the update to 2.2.1 fix my 3G Mobile hotspot. When I got the phone in July I paid for the app but it would not stay connected for more then a few minutes. It still did not work after going to 2.2. Now it stay connected with out dropping out for hours.

You used to need to make sure the wifi didn't go into sleep mode when the screen turned off, while tethering, or it would drop the broadcast. Not sure if that's what you had happen, or if you had changed the setting to make sure it stayed on, and had an issue that I didn't experience.

If so, that was a working-as-intended feature.

Upvote 0
I would just lose the connection after 3 to 20 minutes randomly. There is a long thread on the Moto support board about this. After I did this update my cable went down and I ran two laptops about 5 hours. I just turn it on put the phone down and it worked for the first time since I have had the phone.

I think There are few veritable with this update. Like are you on the leaked 2.2, is you phone a refurbished. For me I SBF from the leaked 2.2.15 to 2.1 and updated with the OTA to 2.2.15. Flashed the 2.3.320 and it loaded fine. I then tried to loaded TranQ 3.0 and it bootlooped. SBF with the 2.3.320 system and had to root the phone again. Flashed 2.3.320 again then put TranQ 3.5 and it's the best my Droid has run. I hope this helps anyone thinking of doing this update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones