• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No "Check Update" under about phone?

This may have been covered before but after a few hours of surfing google I have still not come to a concrete answer to my problem. I have had an HTC Hero, Samsung Nexus S and a few other smart phones I've played with yet my new Samsung Galaxy S II seems to be missing something and I'm confused. Why is there no "Check Update" from the about phone menu on it? My other Phones had it which was great when I had no internet and no PC I could still update my phone over the network. All I've come across so far is something about Kies and Odin but I don't want to root my phone as I have not seen what the benefits would do since an unrooted phone can play free games and still be able to load custom roms, in any case I was wondering if I made a mistake getting rid of my Nexus S phone for Galaxy S II since I feel like an idiot as I can't even figure out how to update my phone to the latest offcial firmware.
Just read on a few other providers with the same phone such as vodaphone they have instructions on how to update by doing the following. "Get your phone to check for the update: Menu > Settings > About Phone > Software Update > Check for Update" I am with Bell and all I see under about phone is Status, Battery Usage, Legal Information, System Tutorial, Model Number, Android version, Baseband version, Kernel version, Build number. That's it
mine is the GT-I9100M with android 2.3.3 with a baseband version I9100MUGKG2 with a kernel version of 2.6.35.7-I9100MUGKG2-CL371789dh130.yoo@SEP-48 #2 and finally a build of GINGERBREAD.UGKG2. Sorry about all the babble just thought the more info I had the easier it might make it to get some help :)

I don't think 2.3.3 firmwares had the "Check for updates" option; it was introduced in 2.3.4 iirc. In any case it's not widely used - only Vodafone have done so to my knowledge.

You will have to use kies to update. It will not root your phone or put on unofficial firmware. It can only be used to update to official carrier branded firmware.

Back
Top Bottom