• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No more Nexus?

I don't think a 2 year life is fair. You wouldn't like it if you bought a car and they stopped making parts for it after 2 years.

I think a 4 year life would be about right. To make your phone obsolete as soon as your 24 month contract runs out is a rip-off. And that's assuming you buy it on its day of release.

Upvote 0
I don't think a 2 year life is fair. You wouldn't like it if you bought a car and they stopped making parts for it after 2 years.

I think a 4 year life would be about right. To make your phone obsolete as soon as your 24 month contract runs out is a rip-off. And that's assuming you buy it on its day of release.

Would the average person be willing to pay more for the handset though?

Upvote 0

Many people upgrade within a few months of their contract expiring anyway. To continue support longer than that is to keep spending money on an ever dwindling user base.

I didn't even have an android 4 years ago. 4 years is VERY long in mobile tech

Upvote 0
Speaking personally as both a consumer and a long time software engineer, I'd happily pay a premium price for a Nexus Smartphone.

Truth be told I actually own two Nexus 5's.

One is not rooted and used as my much loved daily driver, a formidable task for any smartphone.

The second one is rooted for my pleasure, as I enthusiastically enjoy an ongoing project. It's the one phone that I never get bored modifying, using every ROM and customization I find available.

Never perfect, never finished, there's just something about the Nexus lineup that holds my attention and fills my need to aspire to improve. I've rooted and customized many top of the line Androids, yet none have captured my enthusiasm like a Nexus.

Finally as an aside, I don't work for free. Therefore I am compelled by my personal ethics to choose paid versions of the apps I use. I happily support the hard working developers in my industry.

That said I'm used to change, embrace it, create it, and simply hope if the Nexus line goes the way of the DODO bird, a suitable replacement appears :)

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Ok.. on the basis that its free season for speculation... and a blog post can set the internet a flutter...

the next 'nexus' tablet or the replacement for the nexus 10 is going to be running chromeOS with the decision to put in an android compatibility mode being decided at the moment.*

*bloke down the pub told me so it must be true

Upvote 0
Would the average person be willing to pay more for the handset though?

Many people upgrade within a few months of their contract expiring anyway. To continue support longer than that is to keep spending money on an ever dwindling user base.

I don't think they should pay more for the handset though.

If they are still selling the product, they should support it. Companies like Samsung make a lot of money from selling their older product lines, not just their flagships.

If a product is considered too old to be worth providing with updated software, they should stop selling it.

The pressure to perpetually upgrade devices even when the hardware is perfectly fine is more to the benefit of the manufacturer, not the consumer who is forced to spend more money when they needn't.

Cut down on the landfill sites, I say. ;)

Upvote 0
I agree that they should support it while its being sold but they do that for their own benefit (because people will be more likely to buy it)
I think the oem's attitude would be that you buy the phone as-is with no promise of updates which i suppose is fair enough.
Someone compared it to cars but we still have to pay for spare parts, we dont get replacement tyres for free

Maybe oems could sell like an "update insurance" with the phone?

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Some additional thoughts for clarification. Let's talk top of the line smartphones.

If we set aside the popular carrier subsidies, and talk full retail prices, the 32GB iPhone 5S sells for $749 unlocked from Apple. My 32GB Galaxy Note 3 was also $749, on sale for $705.

Neither of these is worth as much to me as my 32GB Nexus 5.

Oh sure that's a lot of money, and I'm not suggesting that it would appeal to the masses of enthusiasts that share my love of Android via the pure Google Experience.

I'm merely suggesting that compared to other top of the line, bloat ridden handsets, I'd be much happier if someone continues the Nexus tradition.

If that means it costs more, then so be it. I'll be the first to admit I find the Nexus series extremely compelling :)

Upvote 0
I couldn't be bothered :p the last Nexus that made it to down here in South Africa was the Galaxy Nexus and it was sold at a large premium, saw someone who imported a Nexus 5 yesterday actually, very nice.

BUT I do believe the Nexus range helps Android a lot in that in a lot of the regions where Google Play sell Nexus devices you find that many people who want to try Android but don't want to break the bank will get a Nexus, be it Devs. or just enthusiasts as they get good hardware and updates and they get an idea of what Android is without having to get an expensive top end Samsung, Htc, LG or Sony.

With that said, I believe Nexus shouldn't go, even if they don't break sales records, the GPE devices are good but they are expensive and IMO a bit pointless, rather than make GPE devices, OEMs must make GPE ROMs for those who want to strip their phones OR when you boot your Android it must allow you to either boot into Stock Android OR Customised Android.

Upvote 0

4 years ago I was using a Nokia, and I've had 3 Android phones since then LOL. Although especially here many people do keep their phones for a long time, often more than 4 years. Most regular users(non-geek) don't know or are aware of software upgrades. It's more down to, does the phone still work, do what I require, and can I get replacement batteries? If no, then it's time to replace it.

Upvote 0
4 years ago I was using a Nokia, and I've had 3 Android phones since then LOL. Although especially here many people do keep their phones for a long time, often more than 4 years. Most regular users(non-geek) don't know or are aware of software upgrades. It's more down to, does the phone still work, do what I require, and can I get replacement batteries? If no, then it's time to replace it.

I admire your common sense, smart, practical approach :)

On the other hand I'm a total mobile phone addict who maintains multiple active lines for the four (on average) different smartphones I currently use. It's been that way for years, it hopeless, I can't be cured :D

Upvote 0
Now I know alot of this news is controversial and many dont believe it, however I am almost certain this is going to happen based on a few things. here is how I am believe it went down, and why it makes sense for google.

- Samsung owns 60% of the android market share and was threatening to leave Android altogether for Tizen, which would severely damage Google and Android in the short and long term(over 60% loss in profits). Google made a patent deal with Samsung recently to ensure this did not happen, in return Samsung no longer wanted to compete with Motorola or the higher quality/yet cheaper Nexus line of devices. Google agreed to sell Motorola. Samsung also no longer wanted to compete with the Nexus brand of devices because they were half the price of a Samsung flagship and were offered for half the price unlocked with arguably better quality hardware and software, therefore becoming increasingly popular alternatives to Samsung in the android market. Google agreed and in return asked that Samsung scale back touchwiz to more of a stock android experience to replace the void left by Nexus devices and offer every flagship Samsung device as a Google Play Edition as well. Google wins in every way, because they no longer have to worry about developing or marketing Nexus devices, selling them at a loss, or pissing off Samsung. It sucks and I didnt believe it at first, but I am almost positive its going to happen now that Motorola was sold and Samsung is appeased. Apparently it has already been announced within Google and should make a press release soon. I myself am switching to iPhone if this goes down, never liked Samsung devices and everyone else(HTC,LG) seems to be going under. Let me know what you think and why the brand might stick around

Upvote 0
Yeah ive read others with the same theory and it wouldnt surprise me but tbh i dont know how big business works and if deals like that really happen :thinking:

P.s, i think you changing mobile OS is a bit extreme lol. Android would have to go really downhill and something better would have to appear for me to consider that :D

Upvote 0
Now I know alot of this news is controversial and many dont believe it, however I am almost certain this is going to happen based on a few things. here is how I am believe it went down, and why it makes sense for google.

I don't think it's too likely that Nexus devices will no longer be made going forward, at least for the foreseeable future. I'd say it's less likely now that Motorola was sold off, and also because the Nexus 5 is reportedly doing rather well for Google and is one of their best sellers according to them.

I know I personally would be very interested in seeing them continue the Nexus line of products, as they're what I generally gravitate toward in regards to mobile devices. That is, whenever I'm in the market for a new tablet or smart phone, Nexus devices are always first on my list.

- Samsung owns 60% of the android market share and was threatening to leave Android altogether for Tizen, which would severely damage Google and Android in the short and long term(over 60% loss in profits).
Good riddance. Bloatware, cheating at benchmarks to make themselves artificially look better, and now Tizen? Honestly, who here wants a Tizen phone/tablet? Anyone?

I think Google might just be tightening the belt a little when comes to Android for helping it to maintain a better user experience overall, instead of letting OEMs sully the Android brand as much as they seem to want to.

No, if anything, I'd rather see Nexus mobile devices replace Samsung ones altogether. :D

Reactions: Stannis the Mannis
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones