• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No Wi Fi After Update today!!???

I have found a work around for this, I think !!!

First off, I have found that the wifi is really working, the issue is that DNS is not working.... this means that though you have a wifi connection, your browser can not resolve the URL names.... aka, Google is not found because the DNS server can not be found to change google.com to 74.125.45.138..... to test this, turn on your wifi, open your browser, in the URL line, put 74.125.45.138 and google will open....

I tested all this by using the following apps;
Ping & DNS this program allows you to do DNS lookup's on the phone.
Set DNS this program allows you to configure a DNS setting on your currently running wifi.... I used Open DNS as my setting.....
(set dns is free for 24 hours to test it, after that I am going to have to buy it for $3)

After installing these two apps, I ran Set DNS and changed my dns to the open DNS option and applied it. I then ran a ping test using Ping & DNS and it showed that it pinged google.com 3 time successfully.

I then opened my browser and wala!!! it works now....

give us all feedback if you find a better DNS set program and/or if you are successful as I was!!!
 
I too am having the same issue although for me static ip didnt fix the issue, or i did something wrong , but i saw a post on a different topic saying there is a second may update that will fix the problems caused by the first, hope this is true

If the below is the post you're referring to, then I don't think it is a second May update. I think that poster was just one of the lucky ones who was able to update and not lose WiFi, which others have also reported.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-transform-ultra/548590-new-update-fixed-everything.html
 
OK, I'm a bit of a n00b with the Android phone, so bear with me.

Several people have mentioned using this Odin program to flash back to the previous version before the update. Is that useful only if your phone is rooted? Or can this be used without rooting your phone?
 
Odin can be used without root. You boot your phone into download mode (power, vol- and camera button? I think) which all phones have from stock and connect with odin on your computer.

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6
 
Did they tell you or give you any idea how long until they push the new updates to our phones?
I really am trying to avoid this complicated Odin thing, and would love to just wait for the update, but it depends on how friggen long they're gonna take :-/
 
Wow...guess I'm one of the lucky few who didn't have any problem after the update. I've got a few questions for everyone, to hopefully get to the bottom of this.

1) Were you connected to wi-fi BEFORE updating the phone? I leave my wi-fi on almost all the time, and had it on when the update got rolled to my phone.

2) Did anyone try updating anything else after the software update? Paranoid as I am, I immediately tried updating everything else once the software update was finished. Firmware said there was no new update available, and Profile sat idle for a few minutes before I hit the back button the first time. Second time, it said the profile had been updated after a minute or two, though I'm sure nothing updated (PRL always says it's been updated even when it hasn't, as well).

3) Is there a program available where I could flash the necessary system files from my phone and post them here for everyone?

4) Would #3 help at all, or would it be a waste of time, since said files would (possibly) just be the same as downloading the update?

Also, if it'll help, I'll write up a detailed, step-by-step process of what I did during the update for those who want it. Maybe my success was in something I did or didn't do before, during and after the update.

Anyway, just trying to think of ways to help. Sorry to hear that the update is so hit and miss; the ball was definitely dropped somewhere, and it makes me nervous about buying anything else from Sprint/Samsung.
 
Wow...guess I'm one of the lucky few who didn't have any problem after the update. I've got a few questions for everyone, to hopefully get to the bottom of this.

1) Were you connected to wi-fi BEFORE updating the phone? I leave my wi-fi on almost all the time, and had it on when the update got rolled to my phone.

Yes, I had mine connected, pretty much on all the time...when I ok-ed the update. Then the problems started :-(

Still haven't gotten a reply to my last question, though, about Odin and the new update Samsung is promising :-/
 
Did they tell you or give you any idea how long until they push the new updates to our phones?
I really am trying to avoid this complicated Odin thing, and would love to just wait for the update, but it depends on how friggen long they're gonna take :-/

I think this update we received IS the new update; I haven't heard anything about a second. However, until recently, I haven't frequented any forums because Sprint doesn't seem to have a dedicated, official forum the same way Verizon does.

As for Odin, I'm sure it just appears more complicated than it really is, but I don't blame you for not wanting to take the chance.
 
PANAPHOBIC mentioned there would be:

"Don't send it in. Samsung just called me back and said they are aware of the situation and they are working on a fix. The tech that I talked to just told me to hang tight until it was fixed and once it has been fixed, they will push another update to our phones. My suggestion is that you use the Odin software and reflash your phone back to 2.3.4 and wait for the new update."

So that's what I was curious how long it would take to get sent out.
 
Mine wasn't working till I started messing around with the new option called wifi direct settings. Turn wifi direct on, wait a few seconds and then turn it off and see if wifi works now.



thankz so much i think everyone should try doing this and the problem should be over it deff worked on my phone! =) thankz again :p
 
thankz so much i think everyone should try doing this and the problem should be over it deff worked on my phone! =) thankz again :p

Noooope, definitely wasn't that easy.
Fail number 3413498 and still no solution.

Save for this Odin thing I'm avoiding doing because I'm afraid it'll **** up my phone >.<
 
Yeah, the Wifi Direct works for me and then when my phone screen goes off and Juice Defender kicks off my wifi, I have to do it all over again.

Has anyone gotten any more info from Samsung or Boost? This is getting ridiculous.
 
It's 1.5 hours away from being the 24th of May and I still haven't gotten the update notice (not complaining at all). The day before the update was released I sent Boost an email asking about a possible update coming, since it was reported here that Samsung had fixed the touchscreen issue. They replied back and called saying they were rolling an update from the 9th-23rd.

So either they're taking longer to roll it than expected OR they actually stopped rolling it. If they stopped rolling it, I'd say that could be good news. It means they consider the problem serious and wanted to prevent it from happening to more customers. And if they consider it serious, the better chance of it being a priority to fix. Of course, it needs to be a priority to Samsung since they're the ones that will have to do the fixing. And I would think with all the issues, calls and it being a priority to Sprint/Boost would make it one of their priorities as well.

Then again, if they stopped rolling it quite early on they might have limited the damage, thereby limiting the priority needed.
 
yes, i believe they stopped rolling it out early as i recieved the notification only once and then never again. i learned to update cautiously from my prevail, when they did the first update to it and i lost root. i think i got got the notice early in the month.
@poeticsong, i think it may be useful to see if your update would work on other peoples phones...?
what exactly is direct connect? i have seen it on my phone but never been sure of what it is/does.
 
It won't mess that up. Go to settings, wiresless & network setting, Wi-Fi Setting, hit the menu button, advanced, select use static ip. Then enter the info for your network.

I simply looked into my wireless settings on my laptop to find the numbers I needed. So thanks!! One question though, will I have to do this again in order to connect to my fiance's wireless connection at his place?
 
I simply looked into my wireless settings on my laptop to find the numbers I needed. So thanks!! One question though, will I have to do this again in order to connect to my fiance's wireless connection at his place?

Yes, you will have to either set it to work specifically for his network or just make it take whatever it is assigned through dhcp (which means put it back the way it was).
 
I got the static IP to work only once. Since then I have had no luck. I'm at a loss here. I may try the rollback if there is no update by the end of the month.
 
So I recieved a call on friday afternoon from "Billy" at Samsung. He talked me through a couple of steps to attempt to fix the problem, tried to get my "log data" which did not work. He re-assured me that this problem was indeed covered under my warranty, and that they could send me an envelope to send in my phone for repairs, and that it would be covered, "unless there are any other damages we need to repair", but I could be without my phone for up to 2 weeks. He then said he "needed to speak to one of his superiors to get a better idea for a fix on my phone, and will call back in about 1-2 hours". This was Friday afternoon...it's now Thursday evening! I'm totally at a loss as to what to do, I'm sick of the slow 3G and really miss having my Wi-Fi connections, and I can't believe that they are having this much trouble coming up with a fix for everyones phones, or that they simply can't roll out a "push" back to the 2.3.4 until they fix the connection problems with the 2.3.6. Customer support is severly lacking in thier attempts to rectify this situation, or even keep us updated as to their progress.
 
I've posted small blurbs a couple of times on the FB page, and have gotten a couple brief replies back, assuring me they're "working on the issue"...

After the last few replies on this forum, I decided to bring the whole forum to their attention. We'll see if they give a sh*t.

What I just now posted on their wall:
poeticsong725 shared a link.
2 seconds ago
The issue with the May 9th update obliterating WiFi connectivity with Samsung phones has reached an all-time level of frustration among MANY users, yet Samsung Mobile USA STILL keeps saying "Oh just wait, we're working on it." Sure you are! How long could it possibly take? If you really wanted to fix the situation, if it were REALLY that important to you, it would have been done A LONG TIME AGO. Get on it, Samsung, you're losing what little faith these customers have left in you VERY quickly!
No Wi Fi After Update today!!??? - Page 2 - Android Forums
androidforums.com
Page 2-Support No Wi Fi After Update today!!??? Samsung Transform Ultra
Like
 
OK so I tried the wifi direct trick, and it works....but everytime I optimize with android booster it resets an I have to do it over again. Small price to pay until Samsung gets off their collective asses. Have said that....thanks for the touchscreen fix Samsung!!!!
 
Hey guys, this is my first post. I accidentally came across these postings while doing a google search. I'm not sure if this is a fix but here are the details. Excuse me, if it is long winded.

I have Boost's Samsung Transform Ultra. I had set it up to use wi-fi at my home AND at my friend's house using his wi-fi. After the update, the wi-fi at my home worked and I had no problems. However, whenever I go to my friend's house, the wi-fi does not work, regardless of what I tried to do (reset the modem, reset the router, re-enter the password, blah, blah, blah). I never found a solution to my friend's wi-fi connection - we were both baffled. So I have wi-fi at home and use my 3G whenever I am at his house.

So... I was interested to read about this post when I came across it. After reading the entire thread, I was able to surmise a possible solution to the wi-fi problem. Why does it work at my house but not my friend's house? It seems that many of you have touched upon it. About three months ago, I decided to "make my internet faster" by changing the DNS server from my IP to open an open DNS. I simply changed my router's settings. Instead of having my router "automatically assign DNS from IP," I set my DNS to the OPEN DNS SERVERS: 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220.

That's it. I seamlessly did the upgrade with no problems to my wi-fi. I guess the ultimate test would be to change my friend's DNS servers as well to see if that works, but he's gone on a trip and won't be back for a while. FYI we do have different routers, I have a NETGEAR, he has a CISCO. Hope this helps.:)
 
I always thought maybe it had something to do with whichever router you happened to be connected to wirelessly at the time you chose to allow the update through.

You just got lucky and lost your friend's connection on your phone instead of the one you use at home. Too bad I didn't lose some other connection instead. I neeeeeed the one at home, but instead, am now screwed :mad:
 
Back
Top Bottom