• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nook Color or Moto XOOM Tablet?

Is anyone else here besides me satisfied with the NookColor in its factory settings? Or is at least waiting to see what the new Nook update brings?

I just bought an NC yesterday at Best Buy, even after playing with and studying the wifi Xoom. I have a Droid Incredible already, and it is still an awesome phone. (Hopefully, the recent Gingerbread rumors come true.)

Maybe I'm just not the hacking type, and I simply like to use things as they were intended. (Some of you may argue that the NC was intended to be unlocked and rooted. :) ) I guess my main point is that I cannot justify paying $600 for a Xoom when a smartphone can do a lot of the same things in a much smaller form factor, of course. On the other hand, a NookColor does e-reading exceptionally well and much better than a smartphone. The 7" screen is perfect for reading. I just saw a lot of redundancies in the Xoom, and I didn't see them in the NC. Just my view. I do agree with those who would rather put their money into a phone than a tablet.

Upvote 0
Is anyone else here besides me satisfied with the NookColor in its factory settings? Or is at least waiting to see what the new Nook update brings?

I just bought an NC yesterday at Best Buy, even after playing with and studying the wifi Xoom. I have a Droid Incredible already, and it is still an awesome phone. (Hopefully, the recent Gingerbread rumors come true.)

Maybe I'm just not the hacking type, and I simply like to use things as they were intended. (Some of you may argue that the NC was intended to be unlocked and rooted. :) ) I guess my main point is that I cannot justify paying $600 for a Xoom when a smartphone can do a lot of the same things in a much smaller form factor, of course. On the other hand, a NookColor does e-reading exceptionally well and much better than a smartphone. The 7" screen is perfect for reading. I just saw a lot of redundancies in the Xoom, and I didn't see them in the NC. Just my view. I do agree with those who would rather put their money into a phone than a tablet.

Nope! :D

Seriously, there is some decent functionality out of the box...but when you simply root the device (leaving the stock firmware on the device), you don't lose any functionality but you gain additional functionality.

Really though...if your happy with the device the way it is, you can't ask for much more than that. Everyone has different needs and wants and usually that leads to rooting the devices but if your happy the way it is, leave it ;)

Upvote 0
Nope! :D

Seriously, there is some decent functionality out of the box...but when you simply root the device (leaving the stock firmware on the device), you don't lose any functionality but you gain additional functionality.

Really though...if your happy with the device the way it is, you can't ask for much more than that. Everyone has different needs and wants and usually that leads to rooting the devices but if your happy the way it is, leave it ;)

ditto :D

Reactions: Delvar
Upvote 0
I've been out of the forum for about a week and thought I'd get caught up. This thread is a perfect place to start, since the reason for my absence has been my recent Xoom purchase.

I've been anxious for it to release since last Nov/Dec (if memory serves). Couldn't justify the 3G/4G price, nor the functionality of the cell radio, since I had no intention of paying top dollar for a tiered data service.

Anyway...

My quick analysis would be that I'm completely happy with my purchase. As an iOS friend of mine said, Android is for those that like to tinker and iOS is for those that just want it to work. There is no question in my mind that the Xoom has far greater capabilities and ability to customize than the iPad. But, the iPad embraces its limits and just sticks to its guns. What it does, it does well. Sorry for going off topic.

I still love my NC and have used it a number of times since my purchase (primarily when the wife snags my Xoom). I'm still blown away by how functional the NC is with a minimal price of just $250. And if/when HC is ported fully, it'll be hard to beat in the 7" sector.

I love my Xoom because I prefer the larger screen. It is being used as essentially a laptop replacement. But the NC isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Upvote 0
I just put phiremod v.5.2 on my Nook and its working great, better than the stock build I happily had on my NC previously. At this point, I'm very impressed with my NC and everything it does. I prefer this over a Xoom, like others have mentioned, my real money goes into Smartphones.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Have Phiremod v5.2 and love it, love it, love it! :D

Upvote 0
and returned the Xoom. You may ask why - here it is:

Of course the Xoom was 2.5x the price of the Nook (that's for the WiFi only version that I got at Costco for $589 w/included gel case). You do get
a 10" screen vs 7" but to my eyes the screen quality was virtually identical, particularly with MP4 videos). And the Xoom was much heavier and after a while holding it, my hands were tiring.

What pisses me off was that the Xoom SD card slot doesn't work - Moto promises a software upgrade to fix this - when is anybodies guess and over on the Moto support forum there's a long thread on this topic w/lots of rants and Moto not saying anything!

Then I bought a charging dock 'cause Moto had promised (in writing and on their website) that you could control the display (i.e., clock, weather, etc) - not true - even the forum mod admits that they screwed this up too. Long story short, the Xoom does not do what promised, it was rushed to the market , and I have little faith that the a$$holes$ from Moto will ever deliver.

With a Nook color, you can overclock (mine's running at 1.1 GHz and very smooth), you can install FroYo (SD card or internal) and it's virtually impossible to brick - over on XDA nobody has ever seen a bricked Nook.

Well it's more than my $0.02 but IMHO I don't trust Motorola, and the Nook Color is a class A experience.

Reactions: HarleyChick
Upvote 0
and returned the Xoom. You may ask why - here it is:

Of course the Xoom was 2.5x the price of the Nook (that's for the WiFi only version that I got at Costco for $589 w/included gel case). You do get
a 10" screen vs 7" but to my eyes the screen quality was virtually identical, particularly with MP4 videos). And the Xoom was much heavier and after a while holding it, my hands were tiring.

What pisses me off was that the Xoom SD card slot doesn't work - Moto promises a software upgrade to fix this - when is anybodies guess and over on the Moto support forum there's a long thread on this topic w/lots of rants and Moto not saying anything!

Then I bought a charging dock 'cause Moto had promised (in writing and on their website) that you could control the display (i.e., clock, weather, etc) - not true - even the forum mod admits that they screwed this up too. Long story short, the Xoom does not do what promised, it was rushed to the market , and I have little faith that the a$$holes$ from Moto will ever deliver.

With a Nook color, you can overclock (mine's running at 1.1 GHz and very smooth), you can install FroYo (SD card or internal) and it's virtually impossible to brick - over on XDA nobody has ever seen a bricked Nook.

Well it's more than my $0.02 but IMHO I don't trust Motorola, and the Nook Color is a class A experience.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your personal experience. Its always good to hear, good or bad, what others think about particular devices.

I'm glad you were able to return your Xoom, and that you still have the NC to fall back on. I hope for those that are struggling with Xoom issues that Moto gets its act together.

Thanks again for sharing! :)

Upvote 0
Guys, I need your help.

With the news of the Nook Color being pulled from shelves shortly, I am scared that they may try to lock down the bootloader ala Motostyle. IF they do that, the hackability will be limited in that there will be no Cyanogen Mod for tablets bought after said "fix". :(

I really want the Nook Color, but can't justify spending on both it and the XOOM tablet at the same time. So I was going to buy the XOOM first, and then get the Nook Color later on in the early summer.

Now, with B&N doing this, I don't know what to do. What do you guys think? Should I get the Nook now, wait for XOOM later (several months after release date), or take my chances that the lock down won't be as bad as I think?

Please help!!:'(
-Elo

From function, Xoom is powerful than nook color, but Nook Color is cheaper than Xoom.

I think Nook Color is better. it has all the basic function as the Xoom. In the mid-April, it will be upgraded Android 2.2 system with flash support. So I suggest u try Nook Color.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones