• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Odin (Return phone to Stock/Factory)

I was able to follow a couple of YouTube posts to D/L a Play Store adk file via 4shared. Once installed, I was able to reinstall other apps, and eventually the phone re-appeared in the list of available devices on the play website.

Still have to install Play Services using a 3rd party file, but as that was the bad actor that got me into all of this by sucking down so much memory, I am going to wait until I have partitioned the SD card and migrated apps onto it using Link2SD.

Hopefully this will prove useful to someone else who stumbles over the same thing(s) in the future.

[keywords]
root SPH-M820 google play store missing install link2sd

If you run CTMod3.80, you do not need ink2sd....... It's built in Kouma kernel.....
>>>>Settings>>>CTMod>>>Kouma Settings then change to "DATA" mode and save.....then reboot into recovery and re-format sdext ( not sd-card ) and restart system

Could some one please point me in the right direction? I have been searching for the links and downloads to get my old galaxy prevail rooted. I keep hitting brick walls as all links end up to no longer supported sites. If anyone still has the tools that I need, I would be in great appreciation to you.

Could some one please point me in the right direction? I have been searching for the links and downloads to get my old galaxy prevail rooted. I keep hitting brick walls as all links end up to no longer supported sites. If anyone still has the tools that I need, I would be in great appreciation to you.

I can give you them tonight when I get home from work and I'm at my PC unless somebody else put them up before I do

Just follow the root-for-dummies guide. All links in that thread are working :)
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=537889

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forums!

Like LV said follow the rooting for dummies and he says all the links are working. Let me know if you still need any or not.:)

HELP!

I am hoping someone can help me. I successfully rooted the sphm820. But when I tried to install a custom ROM, (tried several) they all failed. I kept getting an error about it couldnt find the /tmp folder. I then somehow really noobed it and wiped everything on the phone. The stock ROM is gone and now when I boot after the initial Samsung Logo, the phone goes black. I can see the backlight on, but nothing ever loads. I think I need to completely restore to stock and start over. BUt I can't find any of the files that i need to flash from ODIN. I so far have only found the OPS file but can't the boot, PDA and Phone files. I was working out of this thread (http://androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/375550-odin-return-phone-stock-factory.html) but all the the links to the files are dead. Does anyone have any idea where I can get the Boot, PDA and phone files? Thank you in advance for your help. I do have XWM based Recovery by Koumajutsu v6.0.3.7 which works.

Just as DWilson said, half ass rom is stock rooted, however if you are unable to flash that rom, you can find a working link to the stock rooted Odin image in the root for dummies thread

I already have CWM installed. It's giving me an error though when it loads, "E:can't open /tmp/recovery.log" But the menu still loads.

Since I can't get the phone to appear in windows now how do I get the zip file over to the phone without an external SD? When I plug in the USB cable I get the audible tone that I inserted a USB device but it never show up in device manager. It did before I F'ed it up.

I get the same error about /tmp/recovery.log when I try to wipe/data/factory reset.

Since I have the ops file don't I just need copy of the boot, phone and PDA file? Where are those at? I can't find them anywhere.

Thank you so much for those files... I have a new issue now. I am in download mode. In Odin version 1.85 which I was using before it sees my phone but in the version you gave me it never recognizes the phone. In ver.185 (Android+ SLIP) it has a PIT instead of OPS. Why isn't the multiloader able to see my phone?

Thank you so much for those files... I have a new issue now. I am in download mode. In Odin version 1.85 which I was using before it sees my phone but in the version you gave me it never recognizes the phone. In ver.185 (Android+ SLIP) it has a PIT instead of OPS. Why isn't the multiloader able to see my phone?

You shouldn't have the pit option if you are using the correct version of Odin. If it isn't seeing the phone you may simply need to uninstall/reinstall the drivers (also found in the for-dummies guide)

Have you checked device manager to see if you have any unrecognized devices listed?

I tried to Mount USB Storage but when I clicked on it, it opened a menu with "unmount" as the only option. When I clicked unmount, it just took me back to the Mounts and Storage Menu again.

The Odin version I had before the one you gave me was Odin3 ver 1.85 Android+SLP. It could see my phone but only has the pit option not OPS...

This webpage says the version I had is the correct Odin version for Prevail 2 but without the OPS option I can't use it. http://www.downloadodin.info/download-odin-multi-downloader

When I plug the phone's USB cable into my WIn7 box I get the audible tone that my PC has recognized a new device was plugged into it. However, (even after loading the Samsung USB drivers) Windows never displays it as another drive in Explorer.

In Device Manager I see SAMSUNG Android Phone. When I click the plus sign it opens up as ACER Composite ADB Interface. When I uninstalled that device from Windows and unplugged/replugged the Prevail the ACER driver loaded again.

This webpage says the version I had is the correct Odin version for Prevail 2

Sorry if this isn't helpful....but I just noticed you're asking for prevail 2. It might be better to ask here:
Galaxy Prevail 2 - All Things Root - Android Forums

Root Guide for prevail 2:
http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...vail-2-all-things-root-guide.html#post5972344

Also, please be careful to only use roms, odin backups, ect... intended for your phone. Those inteded for other phones are most likely incompatible. I'm not an expert on the subject, but be careful you are using the correct files.

Wow, too many doobies last night. No wonder I f'ed the phone up. I can't believe I was in the Prevail thread and not the Prevail 2 thread.

So Lord Vincent, those files you sent me last night I am assuming they are for the prevail and not the prevail 2.

Does anyone have the boot, pda and phone files for the Prevail 2?

Any advice on which Odin to use? So far I can't use any of the multiloaders. I have only been able to get Odin 1.85 to see my phone.

Is there anyway to use Odin 1.85 to flash my phone back to stock?

I could solve all this if I could just get Windows to see my phone. After I accidently wiped out the partition and all the data on it, Windows will no longer show the phone in Win7 (64bit). I hear the audible tone but Windows never shows me the phone as a drive.

Since I can get in CWM; I am starting to think the only way I can save this phone is getting an external SD card and put a stock rom on there and image it.

So Lord Vincent, those files you sent me last night I am assuming they are for the prevail and not the prevail 2.

Does anyone have the boot, pda and phone files for the Prevail 2?

you would probably do better to ask in the prevail 2 section... (Which, for the record, is SPH-M840) There is a thread in that session, but it appears the links are dead. I checked Samsung's website, but they haven't posted the firmware either... So at the moment, I'm sorry i can't find a good working link

Since I can get in CWM; I am starting to think the only way I can save this phone is getting an external SD card and put a stock rom on there and image it.

If you can get your hands on a sdcard, you should be able to install the stock rom found in that devices section ;)

I agree I think SD card is the way to go. do you have any particular sd card i should get? I also wanted to thank you and everyone else who helped me, i really appreciate it.

For this propose, even a cheap 2gb card will do the trick, but you should be able to get an 8gb (or larger) card for $15-20 (which you can later use for things like music, videos, etc)

Didn't the phone come with a card?

Back
Top Bottom