• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official 4G/WiMAX Coverage Areas

According to Engadget Mobile, San Francisco is live today. I'm currently in Redwood City (~25mi S) and don't see anything, but I'm also indoors. It'd be nice if they'd be able to cover the entire Peninsula, but this is a big area with crazy terrain, so I'm not holding my breath.

I'm getting 2 bars @ work near the down town district in San Francisco. I'm excited. :D

Upvote 0
It is my understanding that the blue is 3g and the green is 4g. This map is made by people that have the app. Meaning that the area's that don't have any color have not been mapped yet. Basically the app on your phone will record where 3g and 4g are and then upload that data to the servers. Within 5 minutes of doing so, it will show on the map as having 3g or 4g in that area. Area's that don't have any color have not had anyone with the app in that area recording data. What you can do is turn gps on on your phone, make sure the app settings allow your phone to upload that data, and then drive around in an area that has no coverage yet on the map. You will see on your phone that the app is recording data. Once you are done, the data will be uploaded and within a few minutes, anyone with the app, will be able to see the coverage you just recorded. There were a few areas around my house that showed no coverage here in Ohio. I turned the app on and drove through those parts and now the area's on the map are showing coverage.
It really is a great app, but it counts on people with the app collecting the data as to where the coverage is. Both 3g (blue) and 4g (green.)
I hope this makes sense..

I drove from an area that has 4g, to an area that has only 3g. On the map the area that was 4g was green and as soon as I hit 3g, the area is blue. For those getting 4g in a 3g area on the map, make sure the app is running in 4g and map those area's.

When you're looking at the 4G map, any area in blue is where someone has driven through, but did not have 4G signal. It has nothing to do with 3G. If you want to see 3G coverage, there is a separate map for exclusively 3G coverage for either Sprint or Verizon. Due to an Android limitation, 4G isn't reported as 1-4 bars, but rather there is a signal or there isn't, so you don't have the signal strength report like on the 3G maps. If you're in a green area, then AT SOME POINT in the past, someone got a 4G signal, but it could have been weak enough to be unusable. It may not be "turned on" right now and they may have gotten the signal when they were testing.

Upvote 0
Probably posted already, but unofficial 4G in Denver.

Speednet test from Mississippi Ave & S. Alton St.

moz-screenshot.png
It used a server in TX???

Test Date: Sep 30, 2010 8:02:28 am
Connection Type: Cell
Download: 4.55 Mbps
Upload: 0.83 Mbps
Ping: 297 ms

Upvote 0
Was riding in my friend's car to the beach and back and got 4G service in parts of Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks, Burbank, West LA, Culver City, parts of the South Bay and very strong near LAX. Looks like they're really starting to light up Los Angeles.

Yup. I noticed when I was at Hermosa Beach. It was bouncing back and forth from 1-2 bars, but never seemed to lose signal. I don't have it set on automatic (for battery purposes), but it was nice to know the range of areas is starting to get broader and broader. Can't wait to see how strong the signal will be once it's "completely" live in L.A.

Upvote 0
With Minneapolis/St.Paul, MN being an official 4G area today, I checked out coverage.sprint.com and basically see more holes than coverage. I know that 9 towers are soon to come online....3 west of Minneapolis are already working. Living in Roseville, I have 4G while standing in the driveway...LOL. 7Mbps+ down with 4 bars (dark blue on map) but inside my house (light blue), nothing. Down on Shepard Road by the airport near work, nothing. So, I'll stick with WiFi in my house on Qwest. 4G is a great sales pitch but the HTC EVO will likely be my last Sprint device. Verizon friends are getting 2Mbps on 3G. 3G is 1Mbps on a good day...often half that.

Upvote 0
I'm getting a -68 dBm ("100%", according to my Cradlepoint CTR-500) signal in 94070 (San Carlos, CA- 25 mi S of San Fran). I got a high of 750 KByte/sec this morning, and it's been pretty consistent. SF goes live 12/1, but I didn't think the Peninsula would be covered fully by then.

Since that's near a hotel I'm in often that's got really slow internet, this is really welcome. It's actually been up for a couple of weeks, according to my EVO (which not amusingly is SO laggy on 4G I can't use it) but I just finally upgraded my 3G/4G router's firmware to take advantage of it (using a Franklin U301).

Upvote 0
I'll update the list sometime this week.Tried 4G today and it was pretty disappointing. I only got like 0.50 mbps down and my phone was pretty laggy.
Its always the user, never the device. :p

Of all the cities I've been to (and I travel alot as you know) that have 4G, I've always had a good signal except on the Big island of Hawaii. I plan on going to Miami at the end of Dec and hopefully the signal improves by then. Here in NYC even when they officially announced 4G, there were some spots still iffy. But as of today I get a good signal.

TS

Upvote 0
I might be late to the game here but Denver is officially rolling out wimax on Sunday 12/19 but has it running right now! I have been so sick of waiting as Denver was on one of the first lists of cities and it seems like 100 other cities not on the first lists got it first. FINALLY!

I am currently getting 8MB down / 1MB up from INSIDE my office building in Aurora. That's not even by the window, its a couple of rows of cubes in with only one bar.

Upvote 0
We have Unofficial 4G here in Ozark, Missouri. It's about 10-15 miles south of Springfield, Missouri. I only get between 0-1 bars but it's a solid 7.5mbps...pretty awesome if you ask me.....Haven't tried up in Springfield yet but just flashed from Cyanogenmod to Fresh 3.3.0.1 just for the heck of it.

Attachments

• Clear.jpg
    Clear.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
We have Unofficial 4G here in Ozark, Missouri. It's about 10-15 miles south of Springfield, Missouri. I only get between 0-1 bars but it's a solid 7.5mbps...pretty awesome if you ask me.....Haven't tried up in Springfield yet but just flashed from Cyanogenmod to Fresh 3.3.0.1 just for the heck of it.

thats great! One thing I've noticed with 4G (and Sprint all together, for that matter) is that the number of bars really dosent matter. Even at only one bar, you will still get pretty good speeds, as evidence by your post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones