• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Official Froyo 2.2 Installation/Error Thread

For those of you having problems... I would say hold off for now.

If I had known this wasnt an official final release, I probably would have passed on this release. But with all the hoopla yesterday about them giving it to us early, and the HTC website link...

I thought it was official. It seems to be running pretty well. It even fixed the no vibrate on text.

Finally, the file should be renamed update.zip ; Make sure its not update.zip.zip or update.

Twospirits, please read latest update on Engadget. Says HTC says not to install this, not final build, WILL break things. That poster was exactly correct.

Update: HTC just shot us a message to clarify that this is not the final ROM version and that the company is strongly recommending not to install this. Additionally, a request has been put in to remove the file from the server, so if you still want to try at your own risk, better download now while it's still available.

Now where does it say "WILL break things"? I suspect they just don't want people that dont know what there doing to install this, because apparently it is too complicated for some. Once the foto or fota, whatever it is, is pushed, it will be more straight forward to install, thus reducing the chances of a brick. Note: This also looks to me like it was meant to be an update from whatever the last official 2.1 software was. If you update from anything else, you might be subject to a problem.

A similiar thing happened with the leaked version of the Hero 2.1 Rom. It was said it wasnt the final version, and guess what? When the final version was released they were the same. But of course some peoples minds get the best of them and swear up and down they saw a difference in the two.

The funny thing is that I tried to install update again, and it couldn't find .zip file in my SD card.

When I turned on phone, and I looked at my SD card contents, the .zip file disappeared!

How the hell did that happen?

Did the update itself remove file from SD card?

I find that hard to believe.
It is supposed to erase after a completed install.

I installed the update before it was pulled, before the official 'do not install' warning. So far phone seems to be fine, I hope when the real final comes out I'll be able to update OTA, or manually.

This. Some of the dire warnings in bold letters seem to be a bit overstated. The download link was directly from HTC's website, it's not like a random file from a Russian site.

The instructions were painfully simple and easy to follow. Considering the bricking experiences people have been having from the on-air updates, I actually consider this method MORE stable than waiting for the Sprint push - which is why I went ahead and did it.

The update has not yet produced an orgasm. It's nice, I suppose, but to be honest, the interaction with the phone is pretty much the same. There's a new flashlight app built in, which I suppose means I can delete my LED flashlight app, that did the same thing.

The controls rotate with you in the camera. Graphically spiffy, but not really a big deal.

You can use the LED in movie mode now, that's nice.

Car panel now locks in, and can't be exited accidentally - I quite like this (maybe it was always that way?)

Mostly little stuff that doesn't really matter.

What I was really hoping for - and fail to see:
1) remove the frame cap - not done.
2) faster interface (Which it might be)
3) More windows in my browser (seriously, 5 browser windows max) - not done.
4) better battery life - not done (That I can see)
5) a stock music player interface that doesn't suck - Not done.
6) A compass that doesn't have to be re-calibrated every single damned time I want to use it. - not done. I had to wave my phone around in the figure 8 tonight like an idiot to show someone it has a compass. His iPhone was working just fine upon launch.

I haven't seen much evidence that any of these issues are improved.

So in short after all the Froyo Clause is Coming to Town dancing, I'm pretty let down. If you didn't get the Froyo pre-release - you're not really missing much.

3 hours later, battery meter hasn't moved at all when I'm charging. Anyone else having this issue? I'm thinking of going back to 2.1. Too many little issues bugging me. Apps wont stay closed when I kill them, battery isn't charging properly, flash works great, but its still buggy. When dragging/scrolling menus, it stutters a bit(because of the 20 apps that keep opening). It's def possible they were right that it's not a final version.

Update: HTC just shot us a message to clarify that this is not the final ROM version and that the company is strongly recommending not to install this. Additionally, a request has been put in to remove the file from the server, so if you still want to try at your own risk, better download now while it's still available.

Now where does it say "WILL break things"? I suspect they just don't want people that dont know what there doing to install this, because apparently it is too complicated for some. Once the foto or fota, whatever it is, is pushed, it will be more straight forward to install, thus reducing the chances of a brick. Note: This also looks to me like it was meant to be an update from whatever the last official 2.1 software was. If you update from anything else, you might be subject to a problem.

A similiar thing happened with the leaked version of the Hero 2.1 Rom. It was said it wasnt the final version, and guess what? When the final version was released they were the same. But of course some peoples minds get the best of them and swear up and down they saw a difference in the two.

Guessing from all the bugs i would pray this is not a final (which htc has said it wasnt). It could break things or it couldnt.... We dont know. Its like taking the town slut home from the bar and not using protection. When your done you pray you didnt get something.

Guessing from all the bugs i would pray this is not a final (which htc has said it wasnt). It could break things or it couldnt.... We dont know. Its like taking the town slut home from the bar and not using protection. When your done you pray you didnt get something.

Which bugs are you referring to? It's now been close to 8 hours and I still haven't had any issues. Only new thing I haven't messed with is Flash. My battery charges fine (since I just saw someone post that as an issue a few posts ago.)

3 hours later, battery meter hasn't moved at all when I'm charging. Anyone else having this issue? I'm thinking of going back to 2.1. Too many little issues bugging me. Apps wont stay closed when I kill them, battery isn't charging properly, flash works great, but its still buggy. When dragging/scrolling menus, it stutters a bit(because of the 20 apps that keep opening). It's def possible they were right that it's not a final version.

If your using a battery widget, remove it and re-add it. My battery % was not moving in powerstrip, but removing and re-adding the widget got it working normal.

If your using a battery widget, remove it and re-add it. My battery % was not moving in powerstrip, but removing and re-adding the widget got it working normal.

I'm not using any power widget. Am using launcher pro though, even though I doubt it has anything to do with it. And it FINALLY moved up one bar, even though i've been charging since 11PM, its 3:06AM now...

I'm thinking its the phone not going to sleep at all.

Up Time: 6:51
Awake Time: 5:46

So whats that, like an hour of sleep time? My screen is off most of the time, which should mean it goes to sleep right?

I think I might wait just because I don't want to void my warranty by installing the software that wasn't officially from Sprint or HTC...

I think I might wait just because I don't want to void my warranty by installing the software that wasn't officially from Sprint or HTC...

Probably a smart idea. For all we know sprint could come out and say anyone that messed around with the bootloader and flashed the rom voided the warranty. I doubt it but better play it safe.

I'm not using any power widget. Am using launcher pro though, even though I doubt it has anything to do with it. And it FINALLY moved up one bar, even though i've been charging since 11PM, its 3:06AM now...

I'm thinking its the phone not going to sleep at all.

Up Time: 6:51
Awake Time: 5:46

So whats that, like an hour of sleep time? My screen is off most of the time, which should mean it goes to sleep right?

Yep, sounds like you have an app somewhere that is keeping the phone from sleeping.

If your Market downloads aren't showing up after upgrading to Froyo, just go to "Manage Applications" in the Applications Settings menu and select "Market". Just do a "Clear Data" and a "Clear Cache". This will force your Market downloads to resync and correct that issue.

That was the only minor issue I've run across yet.

Twospirits, please read latest update on Engadget. Says HTC says not to install this, not final build, WILL break things. That poster was exactly correct.

This is just spin from HTC's PR department. You can be sure they are in deep trouble with sprint for not securing the update.

As twospirits has said (which is absolutely true) if they haven't completed the final build yet, they are in deep trouble. Coming from a QA background, you NEVER release a software build without extensively testing it first... so, if they were to fix something and compile it again, it would need much more testing. I'm going out on a limb to say this IS the final build, and that it's been pretty heavily tested before giving Sprint the thumbs up on the announcement. Besides, Sprint is pushing this heavily to beat any other handset released from a carrier with Android 2.2.

The LAST thing Sprint wants is end users to update their phones manually and risk screwing something up. Doing an OTA update allows THEM to control the process.

I installed the Froyo rom (didnt realize it wasn't the official build until it was too late). Everything seems to be working right at this point EXCEPT my uptime and awake time are identical. Its causing the phone to stay warm (like its working nonstop, which i assume it is). Its also draining the battery in 2 hours or so. Thats unacceptable and useable as I need my phone for work.

Anyway to fix this?

I installed the Froyo rom (didnt realize it wasn't the official build until it was too late). Everything seems to be working right at this point EXCEPT my uptime and awake time are identical. Its causing the phone to stay warm (like its working nonstop, which i assume it is). Its also draining the battery in 2 hours or so. Thats unacceptable and useable as I need my phone for work.

Anyway to fix this?

EarlyMon stated that 2.2 didn't work the same with task killers, but Advanced Task Pro or whatever worked fine for him i believe (it's in one of the 50+ froyo threads). Might be a step in the right directions anyways...

I'd like to avoid task killers. This was never a problem for me before so i know it has to be something that isnt normal.

a friend of mines Evo did this same thing (but on the factory 2.1 ROM) and he ended up having to take it back because no amount of factory resets or anything would fix it.

I'm having similar issues after having flawless battery life (easy 24 hours) prior to the upgrade. I did a factory reset and it solved it but after setting the phone back up again something triggered the 100% awake time again. I just gotta find that app/setting/whatever that is causing this.

If you find it let me know, man.

I installed some 3d gallery crap after froyo so im gonna try taking that out. Otherwise it may just be something we are using that isnt froyo compatible.

Ugh. I just cant get it to install. I keep getting an error. It is on the SD card, and it is renamed update.zip. Not update.zip.zip. I go into recovery and select it and get the error:
Installing:SDCARD: /update.zip.
Then it says
"Finding update package"
then
"Opening Update Package"
then
"Installing update."
After it says verifying current system, It fails saying "assert failed: apply_patch_check"
and then says "error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 7)" "Installation aborted"

I dont understand. Does anyone know what this means or what I am doing wrong? I am trying to do it with the clockwork recovery.

Did you make sure the update.zip file is in the root of the SD card? (not inside a folder or something?)

double check that the file isn't erroneously named "update.zip.zip"

This can happen sometimes because Windows will hide extensions by default. Try renaming it simply "update" or try to turn off the "hide extensions" option in your folder options in windows to confirm that it is named properly.

Back
Top Bottom