• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hans,
Seems like your sister is letting out a little bit more info? Maybe also another clue that a release is imminent and doesn't need to be so tight lipped anymore?

I'm starting to wonder if its a soft..i.e. not a big deal release..that it could be next Monday? or does it not make a big difference? Who knows how VZW thinks.

I think she's only willing to tell me what isn't so secretive. With leaks all over the place about training materials, everyone already knows, so it's not a big deal. If there was a hard release date, and she told me about it, and someone found out, she'd be in trouble.

I'm sure she knows the date, but won't tell me.

Upvote 0
But I wouldn't be surprised if it releases on Monday, giving the um, HTC device one whole week to breathe a little.

It would be odd to me, that VZW would give the HTC device one whole week, when the Droid RAZR had three days...

I think I will have to stick with the 17th as my hope for date! :)

Upvote 0
I'm a little late to the persistent search bar discussion but I'd still like to add this. I, like many others have also shared, am a big fan of minimalistic/uncluttered homescreens. While I would prefer that the search bar was removable, the problem is that I then have to place an unsightly search icon on my homescreen. I use Google search constantly all day. I would suggest to anyone building a rom, that there I've an option to move the search bar to the notification panel. This wat its always accessible and out of eyesight.

Upvote 0
BB... That sounds like a good thing! ;):D

It most certainly is :D

I'm a little late to the persistent search bar discussion but I'd still like to add this. I, like many others have also shared, am a big fan of minimalistic/uncluttered homescreens. While I would prefer that the search bar was removable, the problem is that I then have to place an unsightly search icon on my homescreen. I use Google search constantly all day. I would suggest to anyone building a rom, that there I've an option to move the search bar to the notification panel. This wat its always accessible and out of eyesight.

Am I the only person who opens my browser and searches google there?

Upvote 0

Or even just to another screen. My primary home screen, which I see when I first turn it on, is nothing but a gorgeous background with very transparent buttons on the bottom, and that's it. If I swipe to the left screen or the right, I've got app buttons in a grid, and I'm okay with that.

I wish they could have at least made it movable, but nope, it's a static widget.

Someone earlier mentioned that BMX had tweeted that it was, in fact, removable. I saw it when he tweeted it, and even posted it here somewhere, but it slipped my mind. Seems he would be the best source of info, since he works at Google.

Here's hoping.

Reactions: daveydog
Upvote 0
I too normally run LPP, but with no update in something like 6 months, it is getting a bit stale for me. I am actually looking forward to using the stock launcher because I am sure it will be more up to date than LPP.

Couldn't agree more. I actually switched to go launcher recently and like it as much as I use to like lpp. Still waiting on that source rewrite that were promised to be done in January.....

The ics launcher looks like it will do everything I use the others for so the fewer 3rd party apps I have the better.

Upvote 0
Someone earlier mentioned that BMX had tweeted that it was, in fact, removable. I saw it when he tweeted it, and even posted it here somewhere, but it slipped my mind. Seems he would be the best source of info, since he works at Google.

Here's hoping.

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that if the option exists, then it is buried in the settings somewhere.

Upvote 0
Small and quick question:

Surrounding this whole face unlock, does the program feature only work when it recognizes facial attributes only or could you per se hold your thumb in front of the camera so it detects your one and only fingerprint?

Uh....not going to speak to the software design because I don't know...you could potentially hold up a picture of a monkey and have it set to match it. But as to the hardware design and how a camera works...if you put your thumb over the camera lens, there won't be enough light to take a picture. If you hold it far enough away, it simply will not be able to retain enough detail to match the clearly see the pattern your fingerprint lines make, so.....in short, no it will not recognize your one and only thumb per se. But like I said, I can't speak to the software, but it could potentially recognize A thumb in general.

Upvote 0
Yes, or one of a very few.
Get with the times! :p

:p

Nope... but i am old and behind the times ;)

See HanS - I'm not the only one. And if you are involved in this thread you are not old and behind the times. (And anyone who has a piper crossing sign would be forgiven, in my book, for being old and behind the times if it were true)

Well, I have to hand it to ya, that's really off the beaten path :p
But seriously, I wish that would happen, but I seriously doubt it. They've been planning this for too long to suddenly decide to release it early. My gut feeling (and that's all it is, a gut feeling) is that whether the date is the 17th, or the 21st, Verizon has been planning on that date for a while. I doubt it's as last minute as it seems.

Yeah yeah. I know. But it was worth the thought being put out there.

Reactions: Highwayman
Upvote 0
So I got one of those stupid tweets from VerizonSupport that says something like "Did you recently place an order? Wondering what the status is?".

I responded "Uh, no, but wondering what the status is of the #GalaxyNexus!!!

They just tweeted back:
@I_am_Han_Solo We are wondering the exact same thing! If you haven't already done so, sign up for Nexus updates bit.ly/sHmdDq ^TH

2008040915870_IMG_2192.JPG_w450.jpg

Reactions: Travillion
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It would be odd to me, that VZW would give the HTC device one whole week, when the Droid RAZR had three days...

I think I will have to stick with the 17th as my hope for date! :)

Not even three days, since the Rezound was landing on people's doorsteps as early as last Wednesday or Thursday... ahead of Friday's Razr launch. So it's had its time in the sun. Step aside, Rezound, and make room for daddy at the table!!

Reactions: Highwayman
Upvote 0
Guys, just got a text from that corporate store rep I was telling you about yesterday or the day before.

I had asked him to please let me know the moment he knows a date, so that he could reserve me one and the commission would be his.

I got a text back from him this morning saying:

I texted back:

He texted back:

I texted back:

I texted my sister asking her about it, but I haven't received anything yet.

In light of everything that's happened the last 4 days ir so, the 21st just makes sense. I don't think that Google contest ending date is coincidence. This week will bring the corporate marketing and hype.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones