• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Gingerbread RUU released for Thunderbolt

I had done so I guess right after you clicked the respond but before you hit enter lol.. ;)

i still dont understand where youre getting them. what youre calling the 1.7 phone has the 1.70.605.0 fimware,so if youre refering to build numbers,thats where the confusion is,there hasnt been a 1.14.xxx.x official release. if you got device directly from verizon,it would have come with:
1.12.605.6(shippig firmware)
1.12.605.9(minor update)
1.13.605.7(Maintenance Release #1)
1.70.605.0(Maintenance Release #2)

again,id try slayhers cm7,OMFGB,OMGB,or shift ao5p,and id definately update to some newer radios.if nothing else,they are sucking down your battery- i had absolutely terrible battery life with the first GB leak radios.

i still dont understand where youre getting them. what youre calling the 1.7 phone has the 1.70.605.0 fimware,so if youre refering to build numbers,thats where the confusion is,there hasnt been a 1.14.xxx.x official release. if you got device directly from verizon,it would have come with:
1.12.605.6(shippig firmware)
1.12.605.9(minor update)
1.13.605.7(Maintenance Release #1)
1.70.605.0(Maintenance Release #2)

again,id try slayhers cm7,OMFGB,OMGB,or shift ao5p,and id definately update to some newer radios.if nothing else,they are sucking down your battery- i had absolutely terrible battery life with the first GB leak radios.

Ah yes... it was 1.13.605.7 I had to track down the little plastic wrapper it came in.

I went to that link but I am only finding the update-cm-7.1.0-RC1.7-Thunderbolt-MR-2-signed.zip file.. is this the right file or is it buried in that thread some place? There's like 300+ pages to it lol..

and do I need the RUU_Mecha_GINGERBREAD_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.11.605.0_Radio_0.01.78.0802w_3_NV_8K_1.41_9K_1.64_release_210841_signed.exe file at all or that is only a pre-release leak for un-rooted un-modded phones?

I am downloading the updated leaked radios now.. hoping they will work. :) Thanks again.

I went to that link but I am only finding the update-cm-7.1.0-RC1.7-Thunderbolt-MR-2-signed.zip file.. is this the right file or is it buried in that thread some place? There's like 300+ pages to it lol..
yup... thats the one.

direct link to download here
md5: 9dd1155cc66e6257cb79816a832895d3

and do I need the RUU_Mecha_GINGERBREAD_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.11.605.0_Radio_0.01.78.0802w_3_NV_8K_1.41_9K_1.64_release_210841_signed.exe file at all or that is only a pre-release leak for un-rooted un-modded phones?
nope,you dont need it... that is a whole leaked ruu. it will take away root and your s-off hboot,unless you have either flashed the permanent hboot by shadowmite,or rooted with revolutionary.

I am downloading the updated leaked radios now.. hoping they will work. :) Thanks again.
anytime :)

wich radios are you downloading? note that the newest leak only contains 1 file... for the cdma radio. if you were allready running the 3rd leak,you could flash just the cdma download to update. since youre on older radios,youll want to use the 3rd leak radios,or use this one that i packed up earlier:

4th GB leak(2.11.605.0) CDMA+LTE radios
md5: a739ca6c5d237d69245205bdb0578b2d

My camera stopped working too.

...........any help?

Ditto. I also noticed google talk crashes out as soon as the phone comes on. Started happening at the same time as the camera.

Also is there a way to get back to froyo from this? I tried several sets of instructions and nothing appeared to drop me back to froyo.

My camera stopped working too.

...........any help?

here is a temp fix until official RUU for Gingerbread comes out.

FIX:
1. Go to Settings and select Date & Time.
2. Un check Automatic
3. Change the time to 08-01-11
4. Go and open your camera (it should work now)
5. Now you can go back and check Automatic in the Time & Date Setting

So, I am stupid... what do I get out of doing this update? Faster operation? New looks and designs?

updates to the OS-from android 2.2 to 2.3. most notably,2.3 is better at managing background processes,so youll possibly notice a lil less lag, a little more speed,and a lil better battery life.

intalling these RUUs will wipe your data,and they are PRE-RELEASE versions. they are mainly for folks that are impatient and/or like to tinker. if you dont fall into this category,then you are prolly better off waiting for a more polished,better working official release OTA.

youll have the same sense 2.1 that you have now- visually there will be nothing different. youd actually be hard-pressed to differintiate between a phone running GB and a phone running froyo running side by side without looking at the OS version in settings/about phone ;)

Ditto. I also noticed google talk crashes out as soon as the phone comes on. Started happening at the same time as the camera.

Also is there a way to get back to froyo from this? I tried several sets of instructions and nothing appeared to drop me back to froyo.

So for anyone wanting to revert back from the RUU I found the answer. Go to here and download and run the program while your phone is plugged in and debug mode is on.

Then once that is done, follow the rooted users guide to converting your phone back to stock. I know there is a thread here, but I used this one.

Then once that is done, follow the rooted users guide to converting your phone back to stock. I know there is a thread here, but I used this one.

thats the long way around for sure. first,its unneccessary to split up the hboot and rom after youve run revolutionary,wich gives you a permanent hard patched hboot. the hboot PG05IMG is going to be bypassed,no matter how many times you run it.

also,that guide takes you to mr1(1.13.605.7) wich is not the most current firmware. after installing that youll have to wait for your phone to OTA to mr2(1.70.605.0)

after running revolutionary,you can flash this in hboot(rename PG05IMG): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1160286&highlight=1.70.605.0

or you can run this .exe file on your PC: [ROM]RUU_Mecha_S_VERIZON_WWE_1.70.605.0_Radio_0.01.69.0 625r_NV_8K_1.41_9K_1.64 - xda-developers

either of these options will take you directly to MR2.

another option would be simply allow revolutionary to to install clockwork recovery,and then you can flash this in clockwork: [ROM] Official 1.70.605.0 MR2 OTA Deodexed Rooted Busybox Mirrors Added :D - xda-developers

the last option actully is the safest,as it requires no potentially dangerous hboot flashing ;)

at any rate,the "return to stock" guide by jcase is out of date(he seems to have moved on from the TB)

when the real OTA happens,yes,you will get it. it will be a higher firmware# and your phone will realize it,and do the update.

i gave this information earlier and found it out to be incorrect. the updater script looks for the firmware numbers of release software,so being on any of these leaks you will NOT get the OTA.

i downgraded to an older froyo leak to test. it would not OTA to mr2.

those actually wanting an OTA,will have to run revolutionary,then apply the RUU or PG05IMG listed above to roll back to mr2 in order to get the real GB ota.

Is there any chance there will simply be an RUU exe to run and install of the OTA the same way we installed the leaked RUU for those of us running a leaked RUU but don't want to go through any rollback procedures?

Is there any chance there will simply be an RUU exe to run and install of the OTA the same way we installed the leaked RUU for those of us running a leaked RUU but don't want to go through any rollback procedures?

yes. there more than likely will be.

i have no idea what people think is going to be so great about the OTA vs installing another RUU,or rooting and flashing a rooted rom in recovery. its like they think the leaks are gonna be missing some special bit that only the OTA will have :rolleyes:

yes. there more than likely will be.

i have no idea what people think is going to be so great about the OTA vs installing another RUU,or rooting and flashing a rooted rom in recovery. its like they think the leaks are gonna be missing some special bit that only the OTA will have :rolleyes:

You didn't hear!? The OTA is going to have a feature that first checks to make sure you don't have root access, if you don't then you get a "Oragasm widget" :D

thats the long way around for sure. first,its unneccessary to split up the hboot and rom after youve run revolutionary,wich gives you a permanent hard patched hboot. the hboot PG05IMG is going to be bypassed,no matter how many times you run it.

also,that guide takes you to mr1(1.13.605.7) wich is not the most current firmware. after installing that youll have to wait for your phone to OTA to mr2(1.70.605.0)

Oh I fully agree, it was the long way around. But for some reason my phone was being a tad temperamental. Not sure why it was, but it was and this worked like a charm.

And MR2 did not take long at all to come down. Even with the crappy Verizon repeater in my office.

I choose not to root at this point because I just don't feel like it. I rooted my Eris because it definitely needed it and xtrSense was a great ROM. The Eris needed root, the TB doesn't.

The biggest gripe on 4GLTE is battery life and that's regardless of whether you're rooted or not - and regardless of your phone model (TB, Charge, Revolution and now Bionic from what I've read)

I have no problem sitting by idly until any OTA is released. In the OTA (who cares if it's GB), I'm looking for my data to not be wiped and for some improvements to be made. That's it.

I choose not to root at this point because I just don't feel like it. I rooted my Eris because it definitely needed it and xtrSense was a great ROM. The Eris needed root, the TB doesn't.

Yes it does need to be rooted. By your statement you believe the blockbuster app deserves to be on your phone, along with all the other bloatware apps that VZW and HTC think you need. What android needs is to not be locked down by the OEM so the end user doesn't have to jump thru hoops to be able to have the phone that best suits the needs of the user. Of course the OEM thinks the user shouldn't want anything more than they can provide and the carries (VZW at least) don't want to provide timely updates they would rather have you purchase a new phone to get an upgrade.

The biggest gripe on 4GLTE is battery life and that's regardless of whether you're rooted or not - and regardless of your phone model (TB, Charge, Revolution and now Bionic from what I've read)

Yep stock battery life sucks. I remember having to have a charger with me at work to make it thru a work day. Hum I rooted and didn't change my habits but somehow I manage to have 70% battery left after my work day, so that would indicate you can root and change things that help battery life.

I have no problem sitting by idly until any OTA is released. In the OTA (who cares if it's GB), I'm looking for my data to not be wiped and for some improvements to be made. That's it.

You should care if your OTA is GB, there are behind the scene improvements that will help you with battery in GB that were not available in Froyo. And with the current rooting method you would see improvements and not lose data ;)

You should care if your OTA is GB, there are behind the scene improvements that will help you with battery in GB that were not available in Froyo. And with the current rooting method you would see improvements and not lose data ;)

how do i do this? I want the best Rom and root but have never messed with it before, I also dont want to lose my phone apps and homescreen icons. thanks so much

Yep stock battery life sucks. I remember having to have a charger with me at work to make it thru a work day. Hum I rooted and didn't change my habits but somehow I manage to have 70% battery left after my work day, so that would indicate you can root and change things that help battery life.

I am unrooted on the TB and leave work with around 65-70% battery left on most days, that's with Background Data on and Always-on Mobile Data. I'm probably not a power user but it's definitely improved since I first got it.

As far as the Blockbuster apps, who really cares? Yes, its crappy they put it on there and don't let you take it off but it's not doing anything but sitting there so other than maybe an eye sore it's not a big deal, to me at least.

My wife's Eris is rooted however, just did that, and it made a ton of difference. One of the best DEV's for the Eris has a TB and isn't even rooted just because it doesn't make a world of difference on this phone, right now, according to him.

I am unrooted on the TB and leave work with around 65-70% battery left on most days, that's with Background Data on and Always-on Mobile Data. I'm probably not a power user but it's definitely improved since I first got it.

I am a power user, if you work a 8 hour day and still have 65% at the end of the day then I am impressed at your battery life.

As far as the Blockbuster apps, who really cares? Yes, its crappy they put it on there and don't let you take it off but it's not doing anything but sitting there so other than maybe an eye sore it's not a big deal, to me at least.

IIRC the blockbuster app does randomly use data as do a number of other bloatware apps you get to have stock.

My wife's Eris is rooted however, just did that, and it made a ton of difference. One of the best DEV's for the Eris has a TB and isn't even rooted just because it doesn't make a world of difference on this phone, right now, according to him.

I would have to disagree with him. It does make a big difference, ask anyone who rooted and flashed a rom if it has renewed their phone or if it is just the same old phone that was prior to rooting.

Really this just sounds like a dev who didn't want to deal with the issues of being a dev. I am not saying he isn't a good dev but when you decide to put out a rom you have plenty of issues that you have to deal with.

If that doesn't mesh with you look at all the different roms available for the bolt with all the different things they can do, run Sense 3.0, allow user to pick and choose which elements of Sense 2.1 and Sense 3.0 they would like. Run with a Sense framework but without the hassle of rosie with most the HTC bloatware removed, run AOSP and be a true android phone that hasn't been molested by the OEM to "improve the user experience".

Really just because you don't have root access when you purchase the phone that is a reason to root in itself, the owner of the phone should not be under the mercy of the carrier and the OEM as to what has to be on the phone an what the user should have to experience.

Back
Top Bottom