• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official GSM Hero 2.1 Thread

Root Root Root

Currently using Sense Hero 2.1 by Stickman

You lose nothing by Rooting its all Gain Gain Gain...

Never a truer word said - I have always enjoyed to freedom of rooting and custom ROM's but up until last week was holding back on 2.1 until a ROM based on an official release was available - I thought that for the sake of a couple of weeks I should hold out - now I'm so pleased I took the plunge as the Sense Hero ROM is virtually all gain now - no more waiting for what may never come (or by the time it does most of us will have upgraded the phone!)

Upvote 0
Is anybody surprised by this? I'm stuck with 1.5 simply because I don't have the skills to root ect :thinking:

I'm seriously considering selling my Hero and buying a non HTC phone which would break my heart because I really love this phone.

Al
I've always said that Android (maybe like Linux) requires a touch of geekiness to get the most out of it - this is fine for people like myself, but I can see why the iPhone still has such mass appeal (despite it's operating system's limitations). However there are many clear and good tutorials on rooting and custom ROM's and it is virtually impossible to cause any permanent damage to the phone - you just have to bite the bullet and learn something new!

Upvote 0
If you root, can you put the official 2.1 back on when (if) it gets released, assuming you'd want to once you've rooted, of course !

If so, I might take the plunge at the weekend :gulp:
Yes you can always flash the official version when it eventually appears, however I think it unlikely you will want to - it will most probably remove the ability to root again and you will be losing out on all the benefits of a custom ROM (nandroid backups, apps2sd etc) - far better to just put on a custom ROM based on the official release.

Upvote 0
I've always said that Android (maybe like Linux) requires a touch of geekiness to get the most out of it - this is fine for people like myself, but I can see why the iPhone still has such mass appeal (despite it's operating system's limitations). However there are many clear and good tutorials on rooting and custom ROM's and it is virtually impossible to cause any permanent damage to the phone - you just have to bite the bullet and learn something new!

Phillevy My skills are limited but I'm willing to try if it's not as hard as it first appears, but everytime I read up about rooting I get quickly get lost.

In the immortal words of Jeremy Clarkson: How hard can it be?

If I do get lost can I easily reverse my actions and put the phone back to 1.5?

Cheers Al

Upvote 0
htc are a disgrace. Im not bothered about they're rom, but i am bothered about modaco's upgraded rom, i have only had the phone since january and im happy with it, but now navigation on google maps is out and google earth etc its disgraceful customer service

and im sure now that android is becoming more popular to phone manufacturers, unless they start to consider existing customers they will start moving

Upvote 0
Part of me can understand why the release was delayed until the launch of their new phones(Legend & Desire)but now these phones are out I was hoping that we'd see the Hero update not long after that.

Has anybody seen anything official from HTC other than rumour and speculation?

I can't root, it's beyond me, so I suppose I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, again, and hang on for another few weeks. If no update appears I'll ditch my Hero and look for another non HTC Android phone.

I'll email HTC in the morning and see what they have to say, I don't think I'll get a reply though. My patience is wearing very thin with HTC. Great phones poor customer service.

Al

Upvote 0
I am waiting for a Desire to be delivered by T-Mobile but the delay and now this cock-up by HTC is making me start to think about alternatives. But there aren't any!

O2 and Orange are out of the question due to signal here, Vodafone won't have ma a customer due to credit so I am stuck with T-Mobile. No iPhone there. That leaves me thinking of

(a) going back to Blackberry

Not a good option - great handsets, great email/texting/etc but rubbish for apps and general time-wasting stuff.

(b) The Sony Experia X10 - ugly, only 1.6 and Sony have a reputation for being slow on updates themselves.

(c) The HD2 - Windows Mobile AND HTC....could that be the worst of both worlds?

I know the Desire (when it arrives!) already has 2.1 on it, but HTC are NOT giving me any confidence in future updates and support, and Google simply doesn't seem to care what's happening to Android.

I might just give it all up and tell people to call me on my landline and save

Upvote 0
Can you tell me what you loose by rooting your phone if anything ?

Yes and no. You do often lose some functionality or have some unexpected behavior. However, you need to read posts on that specific ROM (make sure it works on your type of phone, too) to decide if it's something you can or cannot live with/without. For example, a new ROM out called DamageControl looks interesting (for Sprint Heroes). But some users have reported the phone rebooting when connected to the charger; some others report "sound loss" issues. If those aren't an issue to you, then it's not a problem. They would be an issue for me.

The last time I used a custom ROM was on a Treo 750 and it worked fine. But I lost the ability to get PRL updates - which, while minor, can eventually be problematic.

That being said, I'm now officially tired of the delays and will be looking at installing a custom ROM to get 2.1

Upvote 0
It just rubs salt in the wound when the June announcement comes as a result of Google announcing that Google Navigation is now available in the UK, but only for Android 2.x (and 1.6?)...

Google Navigation was the main reason that I left iPhone land for Android city, only to find "it's not on there yet, but will be soon".

Bugger.

Seriously considering taking my chances with rooting now. No idea what that means, but if that's the answer, I might just take the chance and buy a 2.1 handset if it all goes brick shape.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones