• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Remove The Verizon Branding Thread

Well branding normally doesn't bother me. Coming from the iPhone, I just feel that carrier branding just doesn't add anything to phone. I have the AT&T version, and it has the AT&T globe thing on the black plate. My first reaction is I want to remove it (again coming from the iPhone), but now it seems okay to me. Now with the Verizon Logo on the home button... I am not sure I could look at it. Some people don't care, but I think it doesn't go with the design of the phone.

Upvote 0
FWIW, there is a review on the verizon wireless website for the GN2, I thought I would post it here, kinda funny, reads like this:

"This has to be the classiest phones out there because of the Verizon branded home button. Way to think outside the box verizon! I just wish they would put the verizon logo on the Iphone 5 home button, if they did I would buy it instead!"

Upvote 0
You could also just buy some button covers although I don't know what you're going to do about that gigantic branding on the back.....get a case perhaps?

$0.99 with free shipping from ebay -> Note II battery cover. :D That's exactly why Verizon put the logo on the button. Samsung made it too easy for people to just switch out the back cover. Even their own Flip case replace the back cover.

I just looked at the new pics, the logo actually doesn't look as bad as when I originally saw it first time. Originally the picture shows the Verizon logo with the red check and red 'z'. It looks really out of place on the titanium grey when everything is dark, you have some cherry red logo. Now I saw that the whole logo is dark grey.

Upvote 0
The Verizon button thing bothers people because it's another step in the direction of advertising saturation. People are sensitive because in all aspects of 1st World lifestyle, it's getting to be too much. This is the first time that I know of that a carrier has put their logo on the main functional button of the phone. And the brand that put the logo on there DIDN'T manufacture the phone. Add to that the fact that Verizon is the only carrier to do this.

Or we could just ignore it, not complain, and when everything we own looks like a NASCAR racecar, just live with it...

Upvote 0
The Verizon button thing bothers people because it's another step in the direction of advertising saturation. People are sensitive because in all aspects of 1st World lifestyle, it's getting to be too much. This is the first time that I know of that a carrier has put their logo on the main functional button of the phone. And the brand that put the logo on there DIDN'T manufacture the phone. Add to that the fact that Verizon is the only carrier to do this.

Or we could just ignore it, not complain, and when everything we own looks like a NASCAR racecar, just live with it...

My DX had a MUCH bigger Verizon logo on the front. Didn't bother me in the slightest and I've NEVER gotten a comment about it.

As I said in the other thread....
First of all, if it's so hidious then you have choices to go to a provider that doesn't put a tiny logo on the button.

Second: I'm willing to bet that when I show my N2 to my friends, they'll ooohhh and aaahhhh over the amazing display and smooth operation and not recoil in horror over that tiny logo.

Upvote 0
My DX had a MUCH bigger Verizon logo on the front. Didn't bother me in the slightest and I've NEVER gotten a comment about it.

As I said in the other thread....
First of all, if it's so hidious then you have choices to go to a provider that doesn't put a tiny logo on the button.

Second: I'm willing to bet that when I show my N2 to my friends, they'll ooohhh and aaahhhh over the amazing display and smooth operation and not recoil in horror over that tiny logo.

Your Droid X (as did mine) had the logo on the Bezel, not the actual home buttons. It's like if they crammed the VZW logo on the tiny sliver of a home button it had lol.

Upvote 0
Just sayin' when a company prides itself on service, quality and all that there isn't a reason to take away from the aesthetics of a phone. Like someone earlier mentioned you'd never see them put it on the iPhones button, so why treat Samsung differently?

The REAL sticking point is that no other carrier felt the need to do it...was it so people know you're using a VERIZON WIRELESS GALAXY NOTE 2?

What's next, a verbal announcement every time you unlock ;P

Upvote 0
Just sayin' when a company prides itself on service, quality and all that there isn't a reason to take away from the aesthetics of a phone. Like someone earlier mentioned you'd never see them put it on the iPhones button, so why treat Samsung differently?

The REAL sticking point is that no other carrier felt the need to do it...was it so people know you're using a VERIZON WIRELESS GALAXY NOTE 2?

What's next, a verbal announcement every time you unlock ;P
Great, we're getting somewhere...get an Iphone!

Upvote 0
This must be a trendy 20 something or teen thing. I could care less if it has a logo on the button. I'm in it for the performance and capabilities of the phone. I guess I'm too old for this over obsession with branding. The guy at the hat store gave me the weirdest look when I immediately took the stupid sticker off my new era hat. People are making it out like its a heinous crime to have that there and that it completely ruins the phone.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Seriously, who cares. Do you honestly expect Verizon to sell you a phone that doesn't have their brand on it? Do you hate your laptop because it says Sony, or Toshiba or whatever?

Seems like much ado about nothing...

Upvote 0
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Seriously, who cares. Do you honestly expect Verizon to sell you a phone that doesn't have their brand on it? Do you hate your laptop because it says Sony, or Toshiba or whatever?

Seems like much ado about nothing...

There are plenty of people who feel either way. It has nothing to do with being a trendy 20 something lol, they'd actually WANT the branding then.

The point is useless changes to a phone that probably pushed back release dates, which end up "punishing" loyal subscribers who could have had this phone a month ago. The only trendy people were AT&T & T-Mobile users :D

Upvote 0
Advertising Saturation? Really? I have yet to see how Verizon branding the home button on the Note 2 smacks of this. You realize that in a capitalist society, branding is an absolute necessity. Verizon branded my Droid RAZR in two places (one on the bezel, one on the back) and it never bugged me in the least.

You can't tell me you don't think that branding, one of the most important aspects of a product/service, is something companies shouldn't do? I look around my house and don't see branding gone amok on the things I've bought.

While I can't fault people for how they feel about this, I also have the freedom to wonder what in the world is wrong with those who do.

Upvote 0
There are plenty of people who feel either way. It has nothing to do with being a trendy 20 something lol, they'd actually WANT the branding then.

The point is useless changes to a phone that probably pushed back release dates, which end up "punishing" loyal subscribers who could have had this phone a month ago. The only trendy people were AT&T & T-Mobile users :D
Now I can perfectly understand people getting upset if some important features were disabled, but then again as with the tiny logo, if it buggs you that much, there are other companies that are perfectly willing to sell you that phone.

Verizon provides me with the best service, so I buy from them.

Upvote 0
I'm a grandfathered unlimited data user and I can tell you that this branding wasn't even remotely worth consideration when I decided to purchase this phone. I really fail to see the "big deal" around Verizon branding the home button. It's not as if I'm going to experience perpetual angst every time I press the home button because of the branding - I guarantee that this becomes a non-issue among this vocal minority (and I stress minority) with days of folks getting their hands on the phone.

Now, being unable to remove bloatware that Verizon forces on the phone? That's something worth making a stink about. This? Not so much.

The bigger issue is the lack of real competition among the wireless carriers in the US. Technology companies like Samsung and others end up being beholden to the major carriers if they want the most reach. So they cave in on a lot of functionality that our international brethren routinely enjoy. This also adds to a real lack of competition on price because of the whole subsidized route we have here in the US. Imagine if carriers were more open? That would mean we'd finally be able to vote with our wallets because technology companies would have more incentive to compete on price - rather than rely on major carriers paying the larger share for these phones which they then keep us on the hook for with multi-year contracts.

But I digress and will hop off of my soapbox now...

Upvote 0
@PetiePal - You'll get no argument from me on that point. This certainly could have been a phone in the DROID line, but that was a business decision they made since it wasn't exclusive to them. Which goes back to my rant, lol!

The funny thing about exclusives is that they really don't do much for the parent company. Plenty of studies in marketing science show that being the exclusive sponsor of something rarely registers any significant uptick in sales - in other words, it would either sell or generate awareness at the same level without the exclusivity.

Upvote 0
I'm a grandfathered unlimited data user and I can tell you that this branding wasn't even remotely worth consideration when I decided to purchase this phone.

Were you able to get discount on the Note II AND kept the unlimited data plan? My coworker wanted to upgrade his Droid Bionic but was told by Verizon that he could either get discounted new phone or keep the unlimited data, but not both.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones