• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [OFFICIAL SOLUTION] 3G issues on the 3D?

Welcome to the forums!

Yep, if the Shift agrees, that's definitely a Sprint issue.

However - ensure both phones have PRL and Profile updates, in that order and re-confirm.

Then get your 3vo RF tested anyway. It's free on the first try within 30 days and mostly, you don't want a Murphy's Law hit, where next month Sprint fixes things and then you're late verifying your phone.

Anything is possible, but I believe in instinct, it's never failed me. If yours says to test both, do it, no question.

Thanks for that quick response. Came from the Hero before the 3vo. Signal strengths are in line. Never mapped it on Open signal (now i wish i had). Will try it in a stronger signal area and see if she jumps around.
The sprint store is not conveniently located.

Alrighty, I just wanna input my situation too so people would realize that this is a big issue across most of the E3D. I just got my phone a week ago and it's been struggling opening the market or websites even signing in the HTC sense. I got the consistent message saying that I don't have the internet open while the 3G was on all the time. And it takes forever to do a search on google map.

Then I realize that I have a really bad 3G speed. Tested by the speedtest, the latency is always above 900ms and d/l is always below 150kbps. uploading speed is below 144 all the time. I am very disappointed since I had a pretty good 3G speed on my evo 4G which I traded in for E3D.

I did op's fix and had no luck. I guess I'll have to drop by sprint store tomorrow. BTW the 3G speed test is made at 4am in the morning so the tower should not be crowded........and I did switch between servers to ensure that test would be legit.

Dang, why there's always something wrong with the new phone. Like we can never enjoy our phone without tweaking there and modifying here.

I saw this on the 3D I got on day one. I was spooked by very poor speeds that I returned it. Seems to me a bad early batch of phones from this thread. Back to the OG EVo for now. No issues speed wise there when I did compare so it can't be a tower or general network issue.

Lemons happen and at launch you're going to hear the bad - the people just rocking and enjoying theirs are too busy to post.

It was the same with the Evo at launch. ;) :)

I finally called Sprint with my issues as I bought my phone online. They did not even want to try to trouble shoot any of my issues. They asked if I wanted another phone or go back to my hero. I opted for a new 3d but asked if they had heard of these issues and the said they had not. I am hoping this one works out

Sadly to update my phone status......I went to the sprint store and spent 3 hours there.....the technician wasn't able to solve the issue so he let me exchange the phone.

I tested the phone right at the spot after I did the updates including HTC, PRL, Profile......and at the store, I have d/l speed between 500kbps to 9XXkbps. I was a happy man and then when I arrived home, same old thing happened again. I even update the profile and PRL again at my house but in vain.

Now the d/l speed is at 10-2Xkbps. The web browser is slow, the map is having a hard time to load and the market is struggling loading the pictures. No idea how to fix this issue. I am sure it's not my location which causes the problem because I had evo 4g before and it worked like a charm.

I am getting very slow speeds at home and work (sometimes less than 100 Kbps down). I have nothing to compare it to since I am coming from a Samsung Instinct. I've tried all the steps up to calling Sprint so far. I tried the Open Signal app at home and it seems to be doing an occasional tower hop. I do not have a strong signal at home or work, so I was originally attributing my speeds to that. I have run tests when I'm in a very strong signal area and get over 1 Mbps down. Is it possible I have a defective phone, or am I just unlucky that I get poor coverage at home and work? Also I got my phone from Best Buy, so in the event that I call/talk to Sprint will they help me?

Sprint will help regardless of where you bought it.

However, your phone is fine. You're ability to get good results in some areas proves that.

I don't have good 3G speed with E3D at home either. However, I had a pretty decent 3G speed with my EVO 4G. I think it's part of the phone's problem......

Sorry, was going to reply earlier, got called away for mod stuff.

Yes, in your case unless there's some way bizarre coincidence of your local towers going snafu right when you swapped devices, it's gotta be your phone.

If you get good speed elsewhere, best to complain about the service, maybe they are servicing things in your area.

funspeeds.jpg

YAY! Regretting my move to Sprint oh so very much.

I had the same exact problem. I had to restart my phone by pulling the battery and my d/l and u/l speeds went up back to normal speeds. Doing the "power down" restart did not affect it at all. Pull the battery, update prl, and update profile.

It might be an app that is reserving or eating the bandwidth or something.
Let me know if it works.

I had the same exact problem. I had to restart my phone by pulling the battery and my d/l and u/l speeds went up back to normal speeds. Doing the "power down" restart did not affect it at all. Pull the battery, update prl, and update profile.

It might be an app that is reserving or eating the bandwidth or something.
Let me know if it works.

I've kinda figured out what my problem was. Today at work, I test the 3G speed again. The speed is pretty good ranging from 3xx-7xxkbps. I guess 3G at my house is just not that good. The point is that you don't have to keep updating PRL and profile after you've done the first time.

My working place is literally like 3 blocks away from my house. I tested the 3G speed right after I arrived at work but the speed was still shitty. You just have to wait for like 10-30 mins and then the phone will pick up the good 3g signal and give us good speed.

Just so you know. I have better reception (signal bars) at my house than at work but 3g speed is better at work than at home.

I have been lurking around here for a couple weeks now. Asking things here and there

I believe I have this issue but I will be driving to the beach and back tomorrow and I will test the 3g out along the way. I am using OpenSignalMaps here at home tonight and am watching it switch between two 3g towers that are 1200 and 1800 meters away. My Download via OSM is ~300 and Up is ~100. Much slower than my OG Hero, even though that was a pile of garbage.

I do have to say that 4g is crazy fast when I have reception to a tower. Here at home I am 1200 meters from a 4g tower and I get crap up and down from it. D33k, U25k. I don't really understand that.

wtf I just did an test via OSM and I got 600k for both up and down on 3g with 42% signal. Idk anymore it's so fluctuatable

and my PRL is 21080

I will write this in a different post.

I have been with Sprint for about 6 years now. Have always had insurance via Sprint. They have always taken care of my over the phone and at the Sprint Repair place in the next city over.

My cousin used to be a supervisor/manager for the Sprint smartphone program when there were only a few smartphones on the market like the Palm Centro and the newly arrived HTC Hero and Google phone. He often told me that the first people you talk to are generally new or don't care about smartphone technology like the people that he advances in the program that you will talk to later after you get transferred. He now works in the retention division where they brown nose you to try and keep you with Sprint, there is more money there.

EarlyMon, I see you live in NM, that is where the big call center is he works at. Don't get mad, but i'm on :o:osero:o:o

I will write this in a different post.

I have been with Sprint for about 6 years now. Have always had insurance via Sprint. They have always taken care of my over the phone and at the Sprint Repair place in the next city over.

My cousin used to be a supervisor/manager for the Sprint smartphone program when there were only a few smartphones on the market like the Palm Centro and the newly arrived HTC Hero and Google phone. He often told me that the first people you talk to are generally new or don't care about smartphone technology like the people that he advances in the program that you will talk to later after you get transferred. He now works in the retention division where they brown nose you to try and keep you with Sprint, there is more money there.

EarlyMon, I see you live in NM, that is where the big call center is he works at. Don't get mad, but i'm on :o:osero:o:o

Huh?

I think that's a detailed caution about expectations when calling in to Sprint.

For those unfamiliar, sero is the friends and family deal Sprint offers (and why would I mad? :)).

So...I tested my 3G out and I was getting ~15kB/s down and upload speeds. Horrendous. Here is what I did based on post #2. Pulled battery, restarted phone, checked with different applications and browser services to verify speeds. Updated PRL & Profile.

Called Sprint, they had me go into one of my menus and changed EVDO from CDMA Only to Automatic. That got me up to ~150kB/s for an hour. Then it went back to the usual. Called up Sprint again, this lady did some network tests and reset a few things. NO REACTIVATION or HARD RESET. She had me keep my battery out of the phone for >3 minutes. Put it back in, and voila. 1.2mb/s download speeds in the same spot as the others. I would try and follow this procedure before doing hard resets and reactivating your phone. Keeps the work you have to do to a minimum.

I recently upgraded from my old hero, to the evo 3d. Love the phone and all it's features. But a very hindering factor, is the consistently have awfully slow date and average maybe 1-3 bars. i'm not sure if it's just because sprint's data speed are shit, but i don't think so cause i had faster speeds on my hero.

anyone else experiencing this? and if so, any solutions?

thanks guys.

I have noted that I'm getting less bars in places my Hero got full bars. And dare I say, I have seen reception improve when taking my hand off. It's still new so I will continue to watch this.

Same here,my hero was the bomb,and this 3d is lacking, my wife has the shift and it out performs my 3d,will be sending back and probably get a shift

Hey guys! Im new to the forums and new to android phones, in fact this evo 3d is my first one! So I apologize in advance for what may be a lengthy post :P

So, as mentioned, just got an evo 3d maybe a week ago. Since then I've had less than spectacular 3g and 4g coverage. 3g and 4g at my workplace is pretty much non-existant, I'm roaming the entire time. I cant run speed tests at work, because I cant connect to the network. On the road and at home it's very sporadic, usually its anywhere from 100 kbps - 400 kbps, and on those rare ocassions (VERY RARE, on far away test servers, or late at night) I'll hit about 600 - 1meg. Again, the results are very random and sporadic. On 4g, when its available (which is rare) I'll average anywhere from 1.5 - 3 megs down. When the signal is low, Ill do worse than 3g.

Anyway, Ive done ALL the fixes mentioned on the first page, the hard reset, the reprovisioning, i've wiped the phone twice, etc. So at this point I dont know if theres something physically wrong with my phone and I should return it, or if I just live and work in an area with shoddy coverage. Today I also started monitoring my phone with open signal maps, and I see it bouncing back and forth between 2 towers, one 500m away, and the other 800m away. Moving the slightest bit inside my room makes it go back and forth between one and the other.

At this point, I don't know if theres something physicially wrong with my phone (since I have gotten some decent speeds) or if I just live in a city with bad coverage (las vegas, nv).

At first my instinct was to return it and get a replacement, but here's the kicker, I'm not 100% satisfied with the evo 3d itself. I actually have my eyes set on the Galaxy S II, which I heard is dropping in early September (my 30 day warranty expires on sept 19th), so I'm really hoping it drops before then. Here's my dilemma, from what I've been told by various sprint reps, if I return my possibly faulty evo 3d, and get a new evo 3d, that counts as my 'one time 30 day grace period exchange', which would mean I wouldn't be able to get the galaxy s II when it eventually comes out! Other reps have told me that if I get a replacement evo 3d, I can later exchange it for the galaxy s II when it comes out, but I also have to pay a 35.00 restocking fee. I think both scenarios are totally unfair! Was I misinformed?

At this point Im thinking maybe I should just put up with the terrible speeds, and if sept 19th arrives and the galaxy s II isnt out yet, then I can get a replacement, or a photon (even though I seriously dislike that screen!). Terrible idea?

I seem to be getting all kinds of misinformation from various sprint reps! Its VERY annoying.

You are correct. I received my second Evo 3D only to find out it was every bit as bad as my first. I went to return it willing to try a third and was told that I could not even though the reps I spoke with said that I could initially. My advice would to be make darn sure you want that second EVO 3D because the only way to return it is by the the one year warranty or insurance.

Back
Top Bottom