• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [OFFICIAL SOLUTION] 3G issues on the 3D?

That sucks!! Thats what I figured, that even if I was told one thing by a Sprint rep over the phone, next time I call / or go in to a store I may get a completely different story! I dont want to jeopardize this 'one time exchange'! Or later get told that I have to pay restocking fees! Either scenario is very unfair in my opinion.

Something tells me I should just wait it out with my slow evo then until sept 19 draws near or the phone I want is released.

A bit of a sidenote, I also went through and changed the proxies which sprint goes through and made sure my cdma settings were set to automatic, still no dice, I think the speeds got worse, might just be my head though. Also, speed tests seem to run faster with the GPS on for some weird reason. Also, my upload seems sometimes score a LOT higher than my download speeds, its totally bizarre.

I believe that Sprint is throttling 3G data speeds, and here's why:

My wife and I both purchased new Evo 3D smart-phones recently ago and activated them on our family plan. We were both pleased with the Evo 3D and were satisfied with the 3G data speed (4G coverage has not come to our area except for a couple small patches).
We found that both of our phones produced download speeds in the neighborhood of 900 to 1200Kbps fairly reliably with a 4-6 bar signal. This was determined using the Speedtest.net android app.

After having the phones few days, we discovered that Youtube and SprintTV would not stream video to either of our phones. We got error messages. We called customer service who explained that they were already working on a fix and that they expected it to be functional within the next few days. (OTA updates had already been loaded)

It turned out that they did get it to work a few days later. But in the meantime, not knowing what was happening, I decided to experiment with it. I wanted to see whether it was the phone software, or a network issue. I found a tethering app (PDANet) that allowed me to use my phone as a modem on my home PC. Using the phone to stream data to the PC, I found that Youtube could play videos on my PC browser. I left the PDAnet software installed on my phone for several days then uninstalled it. Other than Youtube and SprintTV, the phone continued to function normally with good download speeds. PDANet was never installed on my wife's phone.

A few days after my call to Sprint, the video streaming began to work on both phones. On that same day though, the data download speeds on MY phone dropped to about 15% of what they had formerly been. I could now only get about 125Kbps with very little variation. The phone still showed a 3G icon with a good signal, but these seem like 2G speeds. My wife’s data speed was just as fast as ever. I ran speed tests throughout the day with virtually the same 125Kbps result. These tests were done at work, at home, and in several places along my 20 mile commute. They produced almost no variation due to location or test server (I tried many).

I updated the phone profile, PRL, and pulled the battery…no improvement. I called Sprint tech support, who suggested the same steps (and others)…no improvement. I asked if they were “throttling” my data, and they assured me that they don’t do it. They suggested taking the phone in for testing.

I brought the phone to a nearby Sprint corporate store the next day. They tested the phone and found no hardware issues. They did a hard reset and re-provision (not sure what that is). They sent me on my way saying it would take some hours for the data connection to start working. When it returned there was, again, no improvement. Tests show 125Kbps download speed with very little variation. I spent significant time setting up my home screens and accounts again for nothing.

I bought the phone back to the same sprint store again the next day, and showed them that it had not improved. They gave me a new phone. Hooray! The result?

NO IMPROVEMENT! TEST SHOW THE SAME 125Kbps DOWNLOAD SPEEDS WITH ALMOST NO VARIATION!!!! IT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE A SPEED CAP TO ME!!!

I can run tests on my phone and my wife’s side by side. Mine always gets about 125Kbps, hers gets 900-1200! Mine is so slow and it shows on even simple web pages. It is excruciating!

Now how can I be getting those same results time and again on one phone, again after a hard reset, and then on 2nd new phone, if I am not being capped/throttled???

I believe that they discovered the PDA net app was installed (albeit for a short period) which triggered the cap/throttle.

This evidence seems strong to me.

Suspiciously,
Rumblefish_454

Throttling and etc...

You wouldn't by chance have updated your PRL lately and your wife didn't, did you (or perhaps it was updated for you by Sprint...)? If you did, perhaps you're one of the many that are stuck on 1X data connection. I would highly recommend checking what PRL you have (Settings - About Phone - Software Information - More) and report back. You're "good" if you have something like 21079, 21080, 21081, you're NOT good if you have 50580.

Reference thread where others are having PRL issues/discussing it: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d...t-prl-21081-do-not-use-50580-read-inside.html

I can attest to the fact that the PRL affected my 3G. I reverted back to 21081 and applied the proxy solution and now have my blazing 3G back (my story and screenshots are in the above mentioned thread).

You wouldn't by chance have updated your PRL lately and your wife didn't, did you (or perhaps it was updated for you by Sprint...)? If you did, perhaps you're one of the many that are stuck on 1X data connection. I would highly recommend checking what PRL you have (Settings - About Phone - Software Information - More) and report back. You're "good" if you have something like 21079, 21080, 21081, you're NOT good if you have 50580.

Reference thread where others are having PRL issues/discussing it: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d...t-prl-21081-do-not-use-50580-read-inside.html

This is precisely his problem.

Back
Top Bottom