• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official] Version 1 battery life thread

It didn't tell you you were out of range or back in range, but it indeed DID reconnect for you when you got back into range? Then showed you what you missed if you missed anything? (That's what my Gear 2 Neo does, yet it also tells you when you are out and in range)

It did reconnect but I didn't receive anything that required being notified.

Upvote 0
Wow, the difference a day makes.

I've been app-less since my factory reset yesterday, using just the stock "Minimal" face. I'm still at 65% and the work day is winding down. I took it off the charger this morning at 7:00. I had a pretty typical, moderate use day too. I wish I knew which app(s) were causing the problem.

Upvote 0

I've been app-less since my factory reset yesterday, using just the stock "Minimal" face. I'm still at 65% and the work day is winding down. I took it off the charger this morning at 7:00. I had a pretty typical, moderate use day too. I wish I knew which app(s) were causing the problem.

Sadly it seems like it might require a process of adding one app at a time to find the culprit. You can look at it as a week long adventure!

Upvote 0

I too removed all apps and went stock today to compare battery life. I'm 8 hours in, and sitting at 72%. I would say this has been a moderate use day with approximately 30 emails through two different addresses, 10-15 texts, couple of heart rate checks just for fun, a timer set, two calendar adds, and 3 "Ok Google" searches to appease curious co-workers.

Reactions: charliecc
Upvote 0
Yeah I thought about that. I had such good life out of it today I don't want to add anything and ruin it! LOL.

TOTALLY hear that!!!
When I get mine, which will be later than I thought, I will be keeping it as stock as can be and give time for all the kinks to get worked out regarding other apps.
Any apps I put on my Gear 2 Neo ended up just being gimmicky and not really needed, so that was a good learning experience. I really just need this watch to be an extension of my great phone, so stock or minimal app adding is all I'm thinking.

Upvote 0
Last update of the day, still completely app free, I'm at 35%. That's 15 hours off the charger. Moderate day use, heavy evening use. My daughter is flying in and it kept me updated through the entire flight, including letting me know about a half hour ago she would be landing early. A ton of email and text messages. Of course I would like there to be more battery power. But if I can get through the day without really thinking about it I'm good to go.

Upvote 0
I could be wrong here, but from my brief experience, the biggest battery killer so far? Installing and uninstalling apps. Anything that increases the communication rate between the device and the phone HAMMERS the battery.

I had another bad day for battery. Not the worst day, but not as good as yesterday. But, I installed and uninstalled a couple of apps. It seems with every app I installed and then uninstalled the battery took a pounding.

Again, this is completely my perception. It seems to me if you want this device to last you a day, you need to just leave it alone. Fussing with different watch faces (which is what I did today) will drain you to nothing.

That really sucks though. I love playing with how my device looks. I know that Halon said the API for the watch faces has not been released yet but to throw that out there and not have battery efficient options available simply sucks.

I absolutely love my 360. I love the way it looks. I love its functionality. This having to walk on egg shells around the battery is a fail, IMHO.

How is it going to handle the Minuum et. al. keyboards when they're finally able to work?

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Today was my first day with the 360. I took it off the charger at 7:40AM. Started the navigation for work and by 8:05 it was already down to 97%. This is with Ambient Off, Auto Brightness and paired with a Note 3. At work, I showed it off and did two demos, received about 5 emails and 30 text notifications. It disconnected one time and was having trouble reconnecting. Had to open the Android Wear app to disconnect and reconnect Did two heartbeat tests, 2 google searches, checked the weather and got home. At 8:30PM, i was at 28%. Not too bad, I think.

Upvote 0
Left mine at a watch show on Wednesday evening to have my watch band replaced. Picked it up today at 5 PM and had 17% battery remaining. So after a full day of normal use it was left on for another day and still had juice to spare. Not bad for a device that must had to be searching for my phone for a day.

I am no longer concerned about battery life.

Upvote 0
Left mine at a watch show on Wednesday evening to have my watch band replaced. Picked it up today at 5 PM and had 17% battery remaining. So after a full day of normal use it was left on for another day and still had juice to spare. Not bad for a device that must had to be searching for my phone for a day.

I am no longer concerned about battery life.

Post pictures and type of new watch band. I've been searching my butt off for a nice leather and a metal band.

Upvote 0
I decided to try an experiment and I'll let you guys know the outcome. This morning I installed ONLY Facer, while the watch was still on the charger. I took it off, selected Facer as the watch face, and put it back on the charger. I uploaded a watch face, then got ready for work. So I'm at 100%. I have removed uploading as a factor from the battery equation. I'll leave this watch face on and just go about my day and see how it lasts.

Reactions: frodub
Upvote 0
I used facer all day yesterday and I hardly use other apps on my phone... It seemed like my battery was dying quicker, even with uploading out of the question. I got about 12 hours of usage, and put it back on the charger with approx 20% left.

Right now, with facer uninstalled, I have been off the charger for 6 hours and have 67% battery left. I also uninstalled another screen replacement app, so it's not guaranteed Facer was the problem.

Looking forward to your results!

Upvote 0
I wish I had all your experiences. I left mine stock (no added apps), screen off, brightness set to 1. My first day, I went from full to dead in under 5 hours. Yesterday, I pulled it off the charger at 11:00 AM and when I took it off at 5:45 PM, it was at 28%.

Now, to be fair, I get A TON of notifications. I do a ton of work via text messaging and email, so it was buzzing all day long, I probably got 30 emails and 300 texts over the course of that 7 hours.

Unfortunately, as a notification panel alone, that's not satisfactory. I did virtually no interacting with the watch using voice commands, no navigation, etc. Strictly notifications (with maybe 3-4 text replies by voice just to try it out).

I'm taking it back. However, my main reason isn't battery life, it's overall utility. It simply doesn't present me a noteworthy benefit at the present. I'll be interested to watch and see how this technology advances, but I'll be doing so from the sidelines for at least another 8-9 months, and more likely another year or two.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
I'm 14 hours off charger right now and still at 35%. Better than half of this time I ran with a Facer watch face on. The weird thing is that I also downloaded a few other watch faces. Downloaded that burn-in preventer. Played around with sending a few Facer watch faces to the device. On the day I bought it, that much playing killed the battery in a matter of a couple of hours. Today it sailed through without a problem.

That's a pretty good battery day, and that's with what would call a moderately heavy use day.

Upvote 0
So after my first day ended with the watch being at 28%, i decided to experiment. I didn't put the watch on the charger and just put it down. At 2:45AM,roughly 6 hours leaving it alone, I put it on the charger and it was down to 22%...So 1% discharge per hour doing nothing. Oh and it was also disconnected from the Bluetooth on my phone.

Today though, I had a light to medium usage day. About 30 notifications, 3 telephone calls, a Google voice search and listening to iheartradio for about an hour. After 12 hours, at 54%. Love the watch. It actually extends the battery on my phone since I only check it to reply (using a messenger app that unfortunately doesn't work with reply ability on the 360)

Upvote 0
First twelve hour impression...

Exactly 12 hours ago my updates were done and I was ready to roll. I've kept it basically stock, played with many face changes, fooled around with text messaging all last night, got a few emails, and basically showed off all it can do to my wife during a late dinner out (she worked the late shift at state farm... And no she doesn't know Jake). I played with it until around 12 when I hit the hay and did not put it in the charger because I've heard many say you should let your first charge be to 100 and then let it down to 0 to get the battery calibrated.
Well, it's now just over 12 hours and I'm at exactly 50%. Yes, I've slept and didn't play with it during that time, but it appears going 16 strong hours is doable on a regular day... And keep in mind that this was my first battery cycle. It should get a bit better (yes, then eventually worse) so I'm cool with the battery life thus far.

I will remain cautious about which apps I put on.

Other than that, it's leather is so soft and comfortable. It's weight is light. It feels sturdy. It's sexy as hell. And really more useful than my gear 2 (example: an email came in during dinner that actually applied to both my wife and myself. On my gear, I couldn't read the whole messsge, it would direct me to my phone. On the 360, we both got to read the long email on its large, easy to see screen.

Very impressed so far.

Reactions: Lennatron
Upvote 0
First twelve hour impression...

Exactly 12 hours ago my updates were done and I was ready to roll. I've kept it basically stock, played with many face changes, fooled around with text messaging all last night, got a few emails, and basically showed off all it can do to my wife during a late dinner out (she worked the late shift at state farm... And no she doesn't know Jake). I played with it until around 12 when I hit the hay and did not put it in the charger because I've heard many say you should let your first charge be to 100 and then let it down to 0 to get the battery calibrated.
Well, it's now just over 12 hours and I'm at exactly 50%. Yes, I've slept and didn't play with it during that time, but it appears going 16 strong hours is doable on a regular day... And keep in mind that this was my first battery cycle. It should get a bit better (yes, then eventually worse) so I'm cool with the battery life thus far.

I will remain cautious about which apps I put on.

Other than that, it's leather is so soft and comfortable. It's weight is light. It feels sturdy. It's sexy as hell. And really more useful than my gear 2 (example: an email came in during dinner that actually applied to both my wife and myself. On my gear, I couldn't read the whole messsge, it would direct me to my phone. On the 360, we both got to read the long email on its large, easy to see screen.

Very impressed so far.

Is the battery nickel? You only drain then recharge nickel batteries. I charged mine overnight and the battery life was stupendous. No need for battery hocus pocus.

Are you sure she doesn't know Jake? He is a cool guy!...lol.

Enjoy your new watch. Have you guys read the Moto 360 may make an appearance with the iPhone? If not read on..How Android Wear could come to the iPhone - CNET

Upvote 0
First full day with this bad boy and I'd Say it was a basic, run of the mill weekend kind of day. Work days will yield more emailing and possible texting, but it was a middle of the road kind of day...

I'm at almost 14 hours off of the charger (slept in a little today) and I'm at exactly 55% battery left.

Again, I'm not playing games on my watch, I'm not loading many apps on there, I'm just using it as an extension of the phone I have it paired with. (N3)

I've got no battery complaints so far.

Upvote 0
23.5 hours off the charger, basic kind of day, maybe a little light because it was the weekend, but I still have 35% battery left.

Actually, I was getting my Mets and Giants scores sent to my watch constantly as well as other NFL news, like who is out of lineups and such, so maybe it was a moderate day, not light.

Regardless, thankfully battery life is not an issue, but remember I'm basically stock.

Upvote 0
Yeah it's really hit or miss with apps. I can tell right away if something isn't behaving. But as long as you don't have a bad app pounding your battery, you can get a day out of it easily.

I apologize if you mentioned this or not, but how is the Gear Mini Launcher working for you? Do I remember correctly that you bailed on it? Or was I confusing that with someone else? It seems like a nice set of features, but I'm not putting anything on here until I get a good solid go-ahead.

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones