• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

on my second evo and camera broke again

I keep it wrapped in Bounty tissue all day long and when I am home, I keep it wrapped up in a wash cloth.

Does this affect the usability or sensitivity of the touch screen? I have been considering this exact solution ever since I realized that the fridge, while protective, did hinder my use and enjoyment of the phone.
 
I wanted to add...

If I did something to mess up the camera, but everything else worked just fine, I'd leave it alone for awhile, and keep using it. For me, i don't take lots of pictures...so it's a function I would not miss too much.

Usually, if I am shopping for something, and I need to take a picture of the price tag so I can research it when I get home, I use it then.

I have a very small P&S camera with image stabilization. It is VERY small, and fits in all my pockets. When I am in the picture taking mood, I bring that with me. It takes a better picture than most all cell phones...mainly due to the F2.8 3X lens it has and larger sensor in general.

If the camera is important to you...I suppose you'll be swapping it out for another shortly...
 
I wish the Evo and the Epic and other newer phones had a lanyard.

The lanyard has saved my Moment from being dropped on more than one occasion. Very stupid to not have that built in. :(
 
As freeza said.... I was an active Samsung Eternity dropper/ kick it half way across the room kinda guy... but when you purchase something of this caliber... you have to treat it as such. I do not treat my Asus EEE the way I treat my Portage R700... Learn from it and seriously break the "phone in your lap" habit. As soon as I purchased my EVO, it wouldn't be seen anywhere besides my hand or my pocket. Buy a screen replacement off ebay if you have any brains to fix it.

Cheers
 
Mine fell from a table once that was like 3 1/2 to 4ft off the ground, it didn't work for awhile and it scared me, turned out it shook the battery loose, had the extended battery door on it with stock battery so there was room , once I discovered that. It worked perfectly.

Accidents happen, this guy likes to put his phone on his lap after use or to have it handy, I'm sure he's not the only one. And I'm sure the phone is designed to take a fall, from common mishaps. Since I don't like to take any chances I take precautions.
 
I cant condemn you for dropping it. I've dropped mine 3 times now... once on carpet at Hastings, once on my marbel staircase, and once on concrete. I have been very very lucky. It still looks brand new!
 
IMO, the camera on the Evo isnt that good(good for a camera phone though). Why not spend the $100 on a digital camera?
 
IMO, the camera on the Evo isnt that good(good for a camera phone though). Why not spend the $100 on a digital camera?
Because sometimes, its simply easier to have just one gadget on hand to take a picture than having a phone camera, digital camera and or camcorder with you.
I personally find the camera on the EVO quite nice.

As for dropping the phone, enough people, sooner or later the EVO will drop, be it a few inches or a few feet. It happens. There is no need to continue ranking on the OP over it.

BTW, there is a lanyard modification for the EVO. Just modify the steps onto the existing real back door of the EVO.

TS out
 
To recap on this thread.

When you drop your phone, as the OP did, and get that kind of messed up picture through the camera, just flick the lens with a pretty good amount of force and it'll correct.

Also, everybody else hates the OP and they're all gods that never drop anything, and they ride on a high horse everywhere they go.

I'll continue walking on earth, dropping things as I go, and seeing everything from a better perspective. Hell, I drop my Ego (har har) twice a day if not more at work onto concrete from about 3 or 4 feet. Otterbox, please don't fail me.
 
I just use a Phantom Skinz skin for my phone and it absorbs falls just fine, from up to around 4 feet. I can't say for sure, but I get the feeling that some of the protective cases we can buy wind up focusing the shock on parts of the phone that can't take it, rather than protecting the phone like we hope they will.

I might see if I can fit my phone into an otterbox with the skin on, though. But I can't stand the included screen protector that my fiance's otterbox came with.


edit: btw what the hell, folks? What's up with all the internet tough guys?
 
Why the hate for the guy dropping his phone? Some of you are acting holier than thou for never dropping thy phone. OMG thy dropped their phone! To the Op:confused: yes I dropped my evo yesterday from >1 ft. and it too acted like there was a filter applied. I tapped the lens at seems to have fixed it at least for now.

Me too! Dropped -> Solarize -> Hard Tap -> Now works fine.

Minor crack in case, too bad.
 
Once you're out of warranty, just buy a new camera and replace it yourself. Global Direct Parts is where I buy my replacement parts, pretty cheap too...like the elusive camera bezel? Some things, like the bezel have a minimum order (3), but they are only like $5 each, and I've already used 2 of them...it's extremely easy to install a new bezel or camera, as long as you're careful, plus the site also has a full breakdown video for the EVO if you don't know how to take it apart...
 
I see this problem everyday with the EVOs. 99% of the time, the camera can just be re-seated into it's socket. You'll need a torx T5 and something to gently open the casing. It's as simple as giving the camera a light push back into place and viola! And yes, this happens as a result of the phone experiencing some degree of shock.
 
The first ego after being dropped from 3ft the camera would not focus, radio shack replaced it for free. Now on my second ego and just dropped it last night from about 2ft and now the pictures look like I have the posterize filter or solarize filter on it but I can assure you that there are no filters being added to the picture I uploaded. I reset the phone and did a hard reset and still no luck, video looks the same way and now I'm out of my 30 warranty. Is this happening to anyone else? I did a search and couldn't really find anyone with my problem and I know I can't be the only one dropping their phone. The phone had a Seidio case on it when it was dropped.

I have a replacement now, but my old one had dropped too and it cracked. Only problem was that it still worked perfectly fine. It just had a long crack on the camera lens that somehow wasn't showing up when I took pictures or taking a video.

I had and have a cover for the phone but took it off for a while then dropped it and that's how it got that crack.

As the first responder said, if you drop anything, expect a crack or damage to appear.
 
Me too! Dropped -> Solarize -> Hard Tap -> Now works fine.

Minor crack in case, too bad.


I dropped mine yesterday and had the solar effect and just tapping it on the desk worked for me too. :D


BTW, there is a lanyard modification for the EVO. Just modify the steps onto the existing real back door of the EVO.

TS out


That's fine and dandy but when you drop your phone and the battery door comes off, say bye bye to your phone.
 
Back
Top Bottom