• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Optimus Elite root with an apk

The only simi-permanent change Poot makes to the phone is that it puts the su binary at "/system/xbin/su". It doesn't change any settings or build props, it doesn't install or remove any other apps, and it doesn't change any attributes for any files/directories/partitions. I want it to do only the minimum to to allow you to get root access.

On the 4 or 5 models now that we have tested Poot on, the presence of that su binary by itself is not enough to brick the phone. And even installing superSU/superuser didn't hurt them. It was more likely caused by something you did with your newfound control of your phone that broke it.

The only simi-permanent change Poot makes to the phone is that it puts the su binary at "/system/xbin/su". It doesn't change any settings or build props, it doesn't install or remove any other apps, and it doesn't change any attributes for any files/directories/partitions. I want it to do only the minimum to to allow you to get root access.

On the 4 or 5 models now that we have tested Poot on, the presence of that su binary by itself is not enough to brick the phone. And even installing superSU/superuser didn't hurt them. It was more likely caused by something you did with your newfound control of your phone that broke it.

Could I have done it by moving a system app/program to the SD card... I just dont want to mess up the new one...

yes by moving a system app that may very well have caused the issue. depends on exactly what you did,what app you used to move it,etc.. i highly doubt the root method did anything.

Could I have done it by moving a system app/program to the SD card... I just dont want to mess up the new one...
You can't just move a system app once rooted, the option doesn't suddenly appear. You have to move it from the system partition, in essence, stop it from being a system app. Then it can be moved to SD.

You could have frozen or uninstalled a system app through Titanium backup or similar. Always ensure you have backed up all apps before removing anything. If you're unsure, freeze it let the device run a day or two and several reboots with it frozen if it acts normal there is probably no harm in removing it.

You can't just move a system app once rooted, the option doesn't suddenly appear. You have to move it from the system partition, in essence, stop it from being a system app. Then it can be moved to SD.

You could have frozen or uninstalled a system app through Titanium backup or similar. Always ensure you have backed up all apps before removing anything. If you're unsure, freeze it let the device run a day or two and several reboots with it frozen if it acts normal there is probably no harm in removing it.

I did uninstall some apps, and didnt back them up (like I should have).. I am not sure what happened... Are there any custom Roms for the Optimus Elite, such as CyanogenMod, or ASOP, that you know of... I couldn't find any by search... Or can I use one for an Optimus V...

no roms or recovery. but you can reflash the tot file to "recover" sort of. also there is a list of system apps here on the forum in case you want to put something back.

I did uninstall some apps, and didnt back them up (like I should have).. I am not sure what happened... Are there any custom Roms for the Optimus Elite, such as CyanogenMod, or ASOP, that you know of... I couldn't find any by search... Or can I use one for an Optimus V...

Nothing yet is available to use as we do not have a Recovery method in place. Drew is working on that right now.

Be patient, grasshopper. All in due time.

Leslie Ann has posted all of the system files. I can also post individuals if needed. They can be restored with Titanium Backup or use a root explorer to move them to the /system folder.

It seems that people are having some trouble with rooting this phone. So here's an apk that will hopefully work right from the phone.

Thanks!

In case anyone doesn't know:

1. This phone is on sale at Target/Radioshack/Walmart for $99 bucks or direct from VM. With VM, you can $12.50 in cashback from FW for a net of $87.50

2. You can go to VM and change the plan. Click "don't see the plan you want?" and get the $25 plan for 300 minutes / unlimited everything else.

3. Now it's a super easy root to get wifi tethering.

Might be the bargain phone of the year.

*Confirmed, I just got this phone Thursday from upgrading from Optimus V. Downloaded these 2 apks and did what was said and went fast. Rooted 9/14/12

i agree. both giantpune and hashtag have made rooting the optimus elite an easy task. first with one click and then poot.

I rooted my phone with poot, and it takes milliseconds to install the su binary. I rooted my first phone with the click root and that was a breakthrough as well. Poot could be the revolutionary method to rooting. It's so easy to do and youdont have to be tech savvy.

I've never rooted an Android device before. The time between me clicking the link to download the first apk and my phone being rooted was less than 2 minutes. Thanks so much for making it easy.

I believe Poot will work (or can be made to work) on many late-2011/early-2012 devices that that ship with android 2.3.4ish, kernel version around 2.6.35.11, and have a qualcomm snapdragon. But we won't know until somebody tries it out on a specific model.

i know for sure virgin mobile chaser/venture owners are liking it. the chaser reminds me of an off brand optimus v for some reason. looks similar. i know the venture is a small screen deal but its actually pretty snappy for what it is. i played around with one earlier. wasnt laggy at all.

Do you think this could work on ics devices, like the kyocera rise? And also, does the SuperSU option to uninstall root work? That could be a significant tool for getting your phone back under warranty.

I believe the bug does exist in some ICS source trees, but due to one of the configuration files read at startup, the bug is not exposed to userland programs. Even if the exploitable code is reachable from userland, I'm using /proc/kallsyms. The behavior of that file was changed to be a bit more secure. you would need to use another method to decide where in memory to put some stuff to make it work.

As far as unrooting the device, the changes made by Poot can be completely undone with one command in adb shell or really any app that you grant root access to.

Code:
su -c rm /system/xbin/su

I just pooted and what an experience it was!

I rooted my OV some time ago... so long ago I pretty much forgot half of what I did to gain root access, and since I'd suffered from (apparent) memory loss I was worried about having to do it again on the OE. THANKFULLY these two apps came along and made rooting extremely easy! I hit poot and quicker than a sneeze my OE was rooted. It takes longer and is actually more difficult to sign-in to google services using the Play Store app. Wonderful!

Thanks to everyone related to this method of rooting!

ALL HAIL THE GREAT GIANTPUNE!!!
I rooted my phone previously using the first method. Then managed to accidently install the update (I had been denying for weeks) and Titanium said I had lost root. Once I figured out how to install the .apk, POOT! and I'm rooted again.

Back
Top Bottom