• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTA 2.1 Has started..

"The OTA will not be in the root of the memory card, this is not like a manual update. All OTA updates are, and have always been stashed in /cache/.

After you download the update (assuming you are rooted) do this in terminal emulator "ls /cache/" and you will see a file ending in .zip.

From their run this "cp /cache/<whatever the zip's filename was>.zip /sdcard/"

Mount the sdcard, copy over the update.zip, post it here and hello 2.1..."

Upvote 0
"The OTA will not be in the root of the memory card, this is not like a manual update. All OTA updates are, and have always been stashed in /cache/.

After you download the update (assuming you are rooted) do this in terminal emulator "ls /cache/" and you will see a file ending in .zip.

I didn't get the update or anything, but just to learn a few things, what if you're not rooted? How would do copy the update.zip file?

Upvote 0

that makes total sense. except that you wont receive the ota update if you are rooted, haha

Upvote 0
No, you boot without your SD card and battery, on usb power, then put your sd card in and then your battery and you should be good to go for bypassing the update

If the update zip is actually in /cache/ and not /sdcard/ then it won't matter if you take the sd card out because it's stored on the phone's memory and not the sd card. I can't confirm if it's actually stored in /cache/ but that's what HandlerExploit said.

Upvote 0
WTF. So basically, we have no answer here. I did some poking around. I found the cache folder using Astro file manager. Lets say the OTA update is download on to that. Is there anyway, to move it?

If you follow the commands in my post you can clearly see that it moves the ota update to your sdcard... so you have easy access to it after you mount your sdcard.

Upvote 0
that makes total sense. except that you wont receive the ota update if you are rooted, haha

If you aren't rooted, you can use adb to pull the file.

If you are rooted, supposedly this will allow you to receive the OTA update http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/58088-how-re-enable-ota-updates-your-custom-rom.html

Although you would NOT want to apply the update of course.

I've moved the otacerts.zip and if I get the update (which I haven't and probably won't any time soon) I plan to download and then when it restarts, boot into recovery and pull the file with ADB and then recover to nandroid backup so it doesn't install.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones