• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OTA Update rolling out. Version 2.17.651.5 - Sprint

Bingo. Smith Micro like I suspected. Maybe I remembered that name from the early Evo 3D or old Evo 4G days and that was the old logger they used then?

The XDA thread led to 2 articles:
Sprint Selects Mobile Network Director from Smith Micro Software to Help Optimize Network Experience for Users - Yahoo! Finance
Smith Micro Software Announces Mobile Network Director? Solution To Manage Data Overload For Mobile Operators

I noticed in the Smith.apk settings (*#*#76484#*#*), they are very Gingerbread specific and specifically set to expire 03/30/12. Not to say that they can't extend that date somehow, but I'm willing to bet we might get ICS before 03/30/12. It falls in line with the Q1 predictions from Sprint and HTC too. This current update is a band aid until 03/12, and they are right now working on the ICS build I'd bet? Its not really new info, maybe just further confirmation of suspicions?

As we are past 03/30/12 now I just wanted to follow up on my hypothesis. I was wrong, I can admit that. Its ok. Glad I'm not a betting man. :cool:

When you dial into the Smith settings it now shows "Smith - Expired!".
If it is expired and non-functioning now, Sprint is going to want administer an update sooner rather than later? Think about all the data they are missing out on logging and mining from us. Maybe their ICS schedule just got pushed back a few weeks further than they expected? Or maybe it has been an inconsequential date the entire time.

I suspect/hope we will find out when our Ice Cream Sandwich update will be this Wednesday at the Sprint-HTC media event.

You can filter your logcat to see if there's anything being transmitted by smith.apk. Logcat apps (I like alogcat) do not require root and show you everything that's being logged.

Back
Top Bottom