• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Pardon my noobishness but...

I'm currently on Apex 1.0 (lol old), kernel version 2.6.32.9 blah blah, system version 2.3.15. I'd like to get Fab's latest Apex ROM but I'm totally confused...from what I can tell "SBF" whatever that is, is something I need to do first (OTA didn't work.) Again sorry if this kind of thread has been posted 100 times before. :o Thanks.
 
I'm not the smartest guy on here for sure, but SBF means to flash an android software on your phone and going back to that version bone stock... If you go to the top of the " all things root" section there should be a sticky. That sticky will tell you how to root, deodex and unbrick your phone.. That will give you good directions on Sbf'ing, but basically you get a program like RSD you download the version you want to put on your phone and you open up rsd connect your phone via usb click a box. select the "android2.3.32.sbf" and watch it do its thing..

Careful flashing. From what i understand. If you flash the newest version, then flash a really old version.. or like 2.3.15 i think you can brick your phone.. hope this helps.. Someone else should step in and help ya if I'm innaccurate somewhere.
 
Hi Rich,

There are two ways to do this.

1) SBF (restore to your current system 2.3.15 ota )
The take the Verizon OTA update and then root that and get yourself into apex 1.3)

or

2) SBF forward to the new android (2.2.1) which would be system 2.3.320, and then flash ApeX 1.3. (that would bring you to the current 2.3.40, as the 32 and 40 are closely related).

Your choice. Let us know and we'll talk you through and get you to the right files. okay?

Steven
 
edit: well now that you've already SBF'd

I would take the OTA before you root. No sense in rooting now as it will be lost in the update.
Use z4root to root your device after the OTA. That app can be found on the interwebs only, it's not in the market. A quick search will find it for you.
 
Back
Top Bottom