• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phandroid Unboxing

Currently seeing mixed reviews pertaining to Netflix capabilities. Some say working great, HD, all win. Others saying Netflix is not enabling search. I can see where they might do anything they can to hold back competition but what's the real deal on this?

We're still running Netflix through an original Wii using the old A/V outputs so I'm looking to get up to HD finally. Not sure if this is the best route or not.

Upvote 0
We're still running Netflix through an original Wii using the old A/V outputs so I'm looking to get up to HD finally. Not sure if this is the best route or not.

Chromecast would probably do you.

Cheap, easy and new apps are being added all the time.

The more I look at the Amazon box, the more I think I'd just be wasting cash if I got one.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Currently seeing mixed reviews pertaining to Netflix capabilities. Some say working great, HD, all win. Others saying Netflix is not enabling search. I can see where they might do anything they can to hold back competition but what's the real deal on this?

That's why I'm holding off right now (that and I could spend my money more wisely -- like giving to charity or something). I just assumed, like all new devices, there would possibly be some hardware and software issues. It usually is pretty frustrating being an early adopter (like with my Wii U -- which Nintendo has finally perfected with a bunch of software updates). At least I hope that is the case and that Amazon isn't purposely messing with the Netflix capabilities because they want people to use voice search on the Amazon Instant app.

There are some affordable Blu-Ray players around the price of a Fire TV that have dual-core processors, dual-band wireless, and all the usual streaming apps that work really well and are pretty snappy. Just depends if you'd rather have disc-playing capabilites or being able to play mobile games on your tv.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones