• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone stuck in boot loop

My Sprint HTC Evo 4G LTE rebooted while it was charging overnight and now it's stuck into a boot loop.

The phone is not rooted though I did perform the HTCDev unlock. The USB Debugging is truned on.

The stats displayed in the hboot menu (holding vol-down & power) are:

jewel pvt ship s-on rl
hboot-1.15.0000
radio-1.05.11.0606
OpenDSP-v25.1.0.32.0405
eMMC-boot
Jun 18 2012, 17:05:37

So far I've tried to go into the "recovery" option and performing "Wipe cache partition". Btw, when the recovery loads, it shows "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command". The wiping the cache partition doesn't appear to have done anything. By that I mean it shows formatting /cache and cache wipe complete but when I reboot, it shows "htc quietly brilliant" screen, then "Sprint 4G LTE", and back to "HTC quietly brilliant with beatsaudio logo" on this one, and then it goes black and reboots endlessly.

I then tried the "factory reset" from hboot menu but same thing.

The recovery's "wipe data/factory reset" gives a bunch of errors:

E:Can't open /data/data/cwtemp/cwpkg.zip
E:Can't open /data/data/cwtemp/cw.prop
E:Can't open /data/data/cwtemp/cw.crc
E:Can't open /data/cwpkg.zip
E:Can't open /data/cw.prop
E:Can't open /data/cw.crc
E:Can't open /cache/cwpkg.zip
E:Can't open /cache/cw.prop
E:Can't open /cache/cw.crc
E:Can't open /cache/cwpkg_old.zip
E:Can't open /cache/cw_old.crc

After it reboots it actually gets to display my home screen wallpaper and notification bars and reboots within 2-3 seconds. The network bar show an 'x' above so I'm guessing it never connects to the network. The phone then goes back into an endless loop.

I've also tried hboot's "clear storage" but that just got me in another boot loop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

. This did start loading the home screen (wallpaper and notification bar, no icons) and then went into reboot after 2-3 seconds.

Hi egravel ...

Welcome aboard.

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with your phone. I would suggest doing a "full reset", but I've seen that you've mentioned doing that already.

Hmm, this is kind of weird for a non-rooted device. Have you considered taken it in to a Sprint repair center? They might just render the phone unusable...and replace it for you.

Hopefully someone else might chime in with some idea on how to get this problem resolved.

Good luck. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Rush.

Yes, I swung by the local Sprint repair store and they said they wouldn't be able to repair it for free since it's beyond the 1 year warranty and I didn't get the insurance. They told me they could "try" to fix it for $50 but no guarantee. I don't like the idea of paying $50 with no guarantee they'll be able to fix it and they keep the money regardless of outcome. I figure I might as well try everything myself and then go to them as last resort.

Upvote 0
well there is not much you can with a locked bootloader and s-on and no custom recovery.

the only other thing you can try is a ruu. fortunately you have old firmware so any of the newer ruu's out there should work.

so go here and pick any ruu's that equal 1.22 or higher. download the file and run the file as admin hook up the phone prior to running it.

if this does not work then your phone is SOL:(

Upvote 0
Yes.

After TWRP you could try flashing the latest stock rom to see if that cures it. You'll have to flash the kernel separately, we have instructions for that.

I'd recommend the stock rooted rom.

If successful, you could then open your bootloader completely and get s-off.

With that you'll be able to update your radio and other firmware on your own. And not need a separate step for the kernel when flashing roms.

Reactions: egravel and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Ok, I ran the following RUU that I got from shipped-roms: RUU_JEWEL_CLICS_40_S_Sprint_WWE-2.13.651.1_Radio_1.12.11.0809_NV_SPCS-2.45_003_release_277028_signed

It ran without a problem and boots into the OS. The notification bar says "No Service". I don't know if that's normal. What isn't normal I think is that when the first setup screen shows, I get a warning that "Process System has stopped responding". Also, after a few minutes the phone reboots. Sometime it reboots to a black screen with the notification bar and sometimes it fully boots.

What could be causing this? I think I might try the RUU again, maybe getting it from xda-dev this time around. I don't know.

Upvote 0
I re-ran the RUU. I don't exactly know what you mean by the bootloader needs to be re-locked. Only change I saw was that *** Tampered *** is gone but *** Locked *** remain. The stats/version numbers have changed.

Anyway, I was able to run the RUU again. The phone reboot after it finished and loaded the OS. I left it alone and it went into sleep mode only to reboot a few minutes afterwards. Back into boot loop again :/

This is so bizarre.

Upvote 0
I re-ran the RUU. I don't exactly know what you mean by the bootloader needs to be re-locked. Only change I saw was that *** Tampered *** is gone but *** Locked *** remain. The stats/version numbers have changed.

Anyway, I was able to run the RUU again. The phone reboot after it finished and loaded the OS. I left it alone and it went into sleep mode only to reboot a few minutes afterwards. Back into boot loop again :/

This is so bizarre.

does it say "re-locked" or just locked and nothing else?

in this guide:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/670476-unrooting-guide-evo-4g-lte.html it has instrucions for you on how to re-lock the bootloader and run a ruu.

Upvote 0
does it say "re-locked" or just locked and nothing else?

in this guide:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/670476-unrooting-guide-evo-4g-lte.html it has instrucions for you on how to re-lock the bootloader and run a ruu.

It says, as before, *** LOCKED ***. The *** TAMPERED *** is however gone. I'm guess that was the indication that HTCDev Unlock was perform?

What I don't get though is the RUU flash seems to have work as I can no get into the OS and start going through the setup screen but then it reboot after X minutes for an unknown reason.

Also, it shows no service. Why is that? Do I have to provision (or whatever it's called) the phone once again?

Getting closer, I think! :)

Upvote 0
Ok so I'm confused as to how your phone got to where it is right now.

The htcdev unlocking should have the bootloader saying"unlocked".......you sure the phone was unlocked in the first place? The weird thing is that the watermark is gone.......which should not happen.

If your phone is on sense then maybe you can just take it in to a Sprint store and have them take a look at it.......I'd it just says locked then you should be fine.

Upvote 0
Ok so I'm confused as to how your phone got to where it is right now.

The htcdev unlocking should have the bootloader saying"unlocked".......you sure the phone was unlocked in the first place? The weird thing is that the watermark is gone.......which should not happen.

If your phone is on sense then maybe you can just take it in to a Sprint store and have them take a look at it.......I'd it just says locked then you should be fine.

I'm not sure anymore. Like I said, if I did do it it was well over a year so maybe I remember incorrectly or somehow I lost it? What does the tampered mean then?

And I guess, as you suggested, I could go to another Sprint store and see if they'll fix it now that it was booting into the OS. I get the feeling though that I'll hear the same tune as before where they'll want $50 to look at it regardless of the outcome. Maybe I'm at the point where I should pay it since I'm out of ideas.

Worst case scenario, they can't fix it in which case I might be able to reactivate my old Evo 4G (wimax) phone until I can upgrade in January. I might hold off for Samsung Galaxy S5, or the Note 3. Any other phone suggestions?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure anymore. Like I said, if I did do it it was well over a year so maybe I remember incorrectly or somehow I lost it? What does the tampered mean then?

And I guess, as you suggested, I could go to another Sprint store and see if they'll fix it now that it was booting into the OS. I get the feeling though that I'll hear the same tune as before where they'll want $50 to look at it regardless of the outcome. Maybe I'm at the point where I should pay it since I'm out of ideas.

Worst case scenario, they can't fix it in which case I might be able to reactivate my old Evo 4G (wimax) phone until I can upgrade in January. I might hold off for Samsung Galaxy S5, or the Note 3. Any other phone suggestions?
ok yes if it says locked and tampered then that is the watermark and might give it away that it was unlocked at some point.....i thought you mentioned that it just says locked now.

if you are unlocked then you could try and get recovery, but if it is locked then another thought is to go and get unlocked via HTCdev and then get recovery and then do a full wipe and flash a stock rooted rom.

if that does not work then you can take it in.

as far as phone goes, i just upgraded my phone to the note 3 and i'm sooooo loving it right now.

the sprint phone is the only one that does not have a locked bootloader!!!! gonna be rooting it this weekend most likely.

the rumors for the htc one max could be of interest for some. i might use my 30 day return policy and go for the one max....depending on what it turns out to really be.....it is all rumor right now.

Reactions: egravel
Upvote 0
ok yes if it says locked and tampered then that is the watermark and might give it away that it was unlocked at some point.....i thought you mentioned that it just says locked now.

if you are unlocked then you could try and get recovery, but if it is locked then another thought is to go and get unlocked via HTCdev and then get recovery and then do a full wipe and flash a stock rooted rom.

if that does not work then you can take it in.

as far as phone goes, i just upgraded my phone to the note 3 and i'm sooooo loving it right now.

the sprint phone is the only one that does not have a locked bootloader!!!! gonna be rooting it this weekend most likely.

the rumors for the htc one max could be of interest for some. i might use my 30 day return policy and go for the one max....depending on what it turns out to really be.....it is all rumor right now.

I guess I wasn't htcdev unlocked after all. I just ran the process and now the bootloader says *** UNLOCKED ***. I'll give the RUU one more try if not then I'll flash that recovery and a new image.

As for the Note 3, you don't find it too big? That's one of my concerns as I find the Evo LTE border line big.

Upvote 0
Nope....it fits perfectly in my hands and pant pockets.....trying to do one hand functions is a bit hard to do.......but I rarely need my tablet now.......and the multi window is pretty cool.

And the screen is amazing!!!!!!!

Anyways.......good that it is unlocked now......all you need is the twrp recovery and see if doing a full wipe and flashing a stock rooted rom will help.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones