• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Pixel XL stopped connecting to both carrier and home Wifi., but connects to other wifis

rodrigobraz

Lurker
Feb 24, 2012
I've had a Google Pixel XL for about two months and it's been working fine.

This morning it started, pretty much at the same time as far as I can tell, failing to connect to my carrier's 4G and my home wifi.

The SIM card is detected, but when I ask to search for a network, all other carriers show, but not the actual one (that issued the SIM card).

The home wifi is not even detected when I search for wifi networks, so I cannot connect.

We actually have two wifi networks (have a repeater), and neither shows up.

The home wifis are working fine for my laptop and other cell phones.

The Pixel does detect the neighbor's wifi network (I don't have the password, of course, so I cannot test it).

The Pixel detects and connects to my father's cell phone wifi hotspot and everything works fine then.

I have powered it off and on a few times.

I have removed and replaced the SIM card.

I have reset the wifi router and cable modem.

Any ideas? I noticed that the networks not working are precisely the ones I have being using until today. Could some malware somehow deactivate networks, choosing those that have been being used?

Update: just as mysteriously as the problem started, it went way. I now have (without having done anything with the phone for hours) access to the 4G and home wifi networks. They just came back by themselves. Very odd.

For the 4G network, I have seen times where I have had full bars and no internet... caused by an overloaded network in like a city area. Could also be caused by technical difficulties on the cell providers end.

The WiFi and 4G at the same time? ...maybe just bad timing, very odd. Glad it's back up and working for you!

Upvote 0
I know what you mean but this was not just bad service. It simply did not even connect to the carrier. When searching for carriers, it saw all of them but mine. There was a special icon (an empty bar triangle with no bars at all, instead of just no bars) indicating it. Also, the timing was way too close to be coincidence. Some Android Oreo weird bug, I guess. Thanks for your comments.

Reactions: steve
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones