• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Please help me cure my headache (T-MobileUK rooting & Flashing)

Autokiller is NOT a ask killer

my bad, its the name that makes me think it is

EDIT: ahh, its minfree renamed
it also has a manual process service manager
im still not a fan as you are changing androids default thresholds, ive seen issues with this before on other devices.
desire doesnt have an issue with low internal ram like older devices like the hero or samsung galaxy which had 192 and 288 retrospectively

you shouldnt have to clear idle task from memory unless you have an issue with low ram
ive never had this issue even with sense

Upvote 0
But the thing is, more RAM used, the phone can lag. Great if you don't get that low, but not if you do.

The Android thresholds are too low for high end devices. You'd have to see massive performance degradation (from normal RAM use anyway) before Android thresholds kick in.

All we're doing is adjusting these thresholds to the relative equivalent for a RAM spec such as the desire.

It depends what apps you have on your phone really, but if empty apps are taking RAM for no reason at all, there is no need to keep them in memory. And I bear in mind the great old addage "unused RAM is useless RAM" as I type this, but this is slightly different.

Of course it is personal preference, but it works for me and it does get called into affect. For me the results speak for themselves.

Upvote 0
i see what you are saying but for example think of prefetch/superfetch in windows7
it caches nearly all the ram for use via system for apps that are more commonly used. those apps load and run quicker as they are already in memory

the times ive seen lag is when i was using a dodgy kernel and thats about it.
ive never seen below 100mb of ram free which is ample i have shedload of apps and run auto synch for most things

each to his own i suppose, i just think in modern devices cases its a fad more than it is an actual issue and people use it cos they can rather than they should

Upvote 0
i see what you are saying but for example think of prefetch/superfetch in windows7
it caches nearly all the ram for use via system for apps that are more commonly used. those apps load and run quicker as they are already in memory

the times ive seen lag is when i was using a dodgy kernel and thats about it.
ive never seen below 100mb of ram free which is ample i have shedload of apps and run auto synch for most things

each to his own i suppose, i just think in modern devices cases its a fad more than it is an actual issue and people use it cos they can rather than they should

Ah yes I know what you're saying about prefetch too but the apps for me that are in RAM that are being killed are not apps that would be the equivalent of a prefetched app.

Think of those sophisticated automatic gearboxes in cars that pre-select the next gear, ready to slot in when the revs hit a threshold... The preselected gear is the prefetched app.

But then imagine that whats in ram is not a useable gear i.e its not gears 1-6 (or 1-7 or whatever)... but its a gear with no teeth that has no rhyme or reason. It can't be used by the gear box to drive the car forward. The gearbox still has it available and is wasting its resources keeping track of it. Personally, I'd rather that it wasn't in the gearbox at all. ...and thats what I'm doing.

Read here for technical backgroud:

http://andrs.w3pla.net/autokiller/details

Upvote 0
Ah yes I know what you're saying about prefetch too but the apps for me that are in RAM that are being killed are not apps that would be the equivalent of a prefetched app.

Think of those sophisticated automatic gearboxes in cars that pre-select the next gear, ready to slot in when the revs hit a threshold... The preselected gear is the prefetched app.

But then imagine that whats in ram is not a useable gear i.e its not gears 1-6 (or 1-7 or whatever)... but its a gear with no teeth that has no rhyme or reason. It can't be used by the gear box to drive the car forward. The gearbox still has it available and is wasting its resources keeping track of it. Personally, I'd rather that it wasn't in the gearbox at all. ...and thats what I'm doing.

AndRS Studio

i concede, only because of the amazing analogy that completely pwned me out of the water.

touch

Upvote 0

AndRS Studio

Except that sophisticated automatic gearboxes have been around on Saab's, Citreon's and renault's since the 60's. Something to do with Peasants' not liking the stick shift, and they have more oil in them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones