• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I agreed, the note 2 got some mode (sunset/sunrise/beach....) and now all turned to auto mode, however the auto-mode is not that intelligent, for example I try to take a picture of sunset but it was over exposure. And noise is quite serious, the 'light-light' mode in note 2 show gorgeous night photo *on the phone*, but this time note 3 got much noise even on the phone, hopefully I will get used to it.

Upvote 0
Just my opinion but both my wife and I have been flabbergasted by how much better the Note 3 is than any phone we have owned. The 13 mp pics are so crisp it's nuts. We have no slr type cameras to compare to. I have not seen a picture from any phone that's even close. Just my opinion, and not just a normal persons eye view. Zero camera expertise.

Upvote 0
As a longtime amateur photographer who always carries a camera, I must admit I've largely ignored the "cameras" built into the various smartphones I've owned.

That was until I took a few test shots with my Note 3. This phone has changed my opinion, not dramatically, yet enough that I will be learning to get the best out of it just for fun.

Upvote 0
Just my opinion but both my wife and I have been flabbergasted by how much better the Note 3 is than any phone we have owned. The 13 mp pics are so crisp it's nuts. We have no slr type cameras to compare to. I have not seen a picture from any phone that's even close. Just my opinion, and not just a normal persons eye view. Zero camera expertise.

Same here. I had the Note 2 but the camera died so I got a Note 3 and the camera quality is outstanding, visibly better than the Note 2.

Upvote 0
Those EZ-Share cards and in particular the EZ-share app are a killer combination. Boot the app and pictures are in your phone. Or just leave it tethered as you go along.

I'm aware a lot of recent cameras have wifi built in. I'm not sure if the phone software is up to snuff? (Anyway, I've resolved not to replace my pocket cameras until there's a decent one with remote or cable release facility. I've been having a VERY long wait. DPreview said the Canon 120 did, but I think they lied.)

The lovely Sony RX100M2 I think does via NFC which of course means the Note 3. :)

I don't think anyone does. But they are hoping for "good enough". Personally, I'm having to learn how to shoot occasional JPGs again. I'd completely forgotten. My DSLR will shoot full size RAW and small JPGs ideal for the phone. But shooting JPGs is a different ball game anyway. I normally only use them for HDR. The phone App is set only to hoover up the JPGs and leave the RAW files alone.

I'd take a whole lot of convincing I'd want to use any phone camera... I'll have a play around sometime. Plus Joby is promising me a quick device to stick the Note 3 on a tripod shortly. I do have something which may well work once I get my ordered UAG phone case. I almost never hand-hold even with a pocket camera.

If you find one please post or pm me. Same search. I had an old Canon with wireless remote that was spectacular. BTW, the camera I'm speaking of had only 4 megapixels and would blow any Android phone camera out of the water. I don't expect any phone to have a great camera. The lens is too small and the sensor isn't as good. They could probably do it in a thicker phone for $1500 but not enough people would pay for it.

Upvote 0
I use remote an awful lot - and I can't understand why the camera manufacturers don't do it in pocket cameras. For instance the software in my old Canon S95 can be hacked to do it (via USB port) so it's a software thing, not hardware.

As I said above. I think the Sony RX100M2 (that's the very recent one) has NFC remote. So controlling via the Note 3 looks entirely possible. I think I'm probably getting one. The specs are pretty d**n good... Looks like the price is getting more reasonable too.

Upvote 0
Quick photo of my desktop rig :beer:

Attachments

• 1382542976246.jpg
    1382542976246.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 0
I've used the OG Droid, Bionic, Photon, Note 2 and now the Note 3. N3 has the best camera that I've personally used, in a phone.

I'm an amateur photographer and use a Canon 6D along with the Canon EOS Remote app. It's a PITA to get your phone and camera sync'ed (at least for me it was) but I love it. Especially when I'm going to be in the picture and taking it as well. You get a real time view and can release the shutter from your phone, then view the shot immediately on your phone.

Upvote 0
I upgraded from an iPhone 4S and the camera and the camera app in the Note 3 is nowhere near as good. IMO, Apple's hardware and software for the camera is way better. It's something Samsung should work on improving.

Well, there are many other things I much prefer on the Note 3 so I guess one can't have everything... the way I look at it it's a phone and the camera is not that important to me since I have my DSLR for pictures.

Upvote 0
With my note 2 I would set it to macro mode and I would be able to take a photo of say for example a small screw .. I would get as close as possible to the screw with my camera say about 2 to 3 inches away and the note 2 would take a clear shot of the fine threads of the screw and it would look perfect and clear .. With my note 3 if I get to close it won't focus on the screw threads and what I find that I need to do is to pull way back and actually zoom in onto the screw and that way it would focus ... I don't know I still think Imo that the note 2 camera was better in some way over the note 3.

Upvote 0
I've noticed the Note 3 won't focus quite as close as the Note 2 did but it might be off by just a few cm. I took this shot yesterday:

. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

As for HDR, the camera software built in does a far better job of rendering than the trickery recently introduced by in Snapseed. The Snapseed HDR is great if you're into the really tacky HDR stuff but the Samsung camera HDR came out looking much more natural:

Random chair shot | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Overall, I have to say I'm very impressed with the camera on the Note 3 after using it for a while. The only thing I'd like added is manual focus control like they have on the G2. The manual controls on the G2 almost had me swayed.

Upvote 0
Turns out the plastic cover on the back doesn't actually cover the lens itself, just everything around it.

Not impressed with this camera at all. It's got 5 more mpx (I know this doesn't mean much, but hey), it's 2+ years younger and supposedly more advanced than the camera in the Galaxy S2 and yet it doesn't seem any better at all, might even be worse.

Upvote 0
Turns out the plastic cover on the back doesn't actually cover the lens itself, just everything around it.

Not impressed with this camera at all. It's got 5 more mpx (I know this doesn't mean much, but hey), it's 2+ years younger and supposedly more advanced than the camera in the Galaxy S2 and yet it doesn't seem any better at all, might even be worse.

That's why they're called Smart_Phones_

The camera remains a secondary consideration... :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones