• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Port locations suck in IMHO

Lock-N-Load

Android Expert
Feb 8, 2010
WestSiiiide
Audio jack and micro usb on the bottom? That blows IMHO. I use a stand on my desk to hold my phone in front of me while I work. I can press buttons, charge, access it fast/easy. On my OG Droid, top audio jack and side mount micro usb allow me to sit the phone on a stand and charge it and plug in earphones. With this, you have to lay it on a table or put it in your stand in landscape as in upright portrait you cannot charge or use headphone jack.

I think this sucks.

Ummm...from one of the ICS videos I saw, it looked like ICS has 360 degree rotation. So, you could just flip it upside down and have the ports on top.

Interesting point.. it is not ideal as then you have an inflexible micro USB cable sticking up into the air 2-3" and arching down to the desk (versus just out the side and more out of the way) and then your volume rocker and power button are on an odd side, but this point you make does open up the potential for a bit of a butchered workaround I suppose.

Upvote 0
Interesting point.. it is not ideal as then you have an inflexible micro USB cable sticking up into the air 2-3" and arching down to the desk (versus just out the side and more out of the way) and then your volume rocker and power button are on an odd side, but this point you make does open up the potential for a bit of a butchered workaround I suppose.
I use a cable with a 90-degree connector on my stand...

Upvote 0
You're never going to make everyone happy with port locations.

Frankly, I prefer the micro USB on the bottom since it makes it easier to handle/use the phone when plugged in, and my car mount is portrait so the cable won't stick out the side. Also, on the side, your hand doesn't naturally wrap around the phone. I think the headphone jack is stupid on the bottom but I don't use wired headphones so it's really very minor for me.

Also, the bottom jack means that you can plug cables into the phone while it's in the landscape dock without the cables pointing up into the air. I suspect you will find a lot more people that use landscape stands/docks than portrait stands/docks.

Regardless, though, while it's certainly a valid complaint for your individual workflow... the reality is that EVERYONE is going to complain about cable locations because everyone uses their phone differently.

Upvote 0
Check this out.

Hold the phone in your hand like this.
cell-phone-in-hand-photo-thumb11235034.jpg

Now, place the phone in your pocket without adjusting the phones position in your hand. The *bottom* of the phone SHOULD be facing upward. If I pull the phone out while I'm listening to music the phone should be right where I need it to be. I don't need to pull the phone out and then rotate it to receive the call.

Make sense to anyone else?

Upvote 0
Ummm...from one of the ICS videos I saw, it looked like ICS has 360 degree rotation. So, you could just flip it upside down and have the ports on top.
Agreed, and this is what I do on my Xoom. If I feel like doing HDMI through the top, I flip it, and everything reorients.

Even though it's not a perfect solution, as the power and volume physical buttons now change places, the lack of fixed buttons helps to boost functionality, in this scenario.

Come to think of it, I probably won't mind it at all, on the GN, as charging my previous phones from the side was certainly a bigger annoyance. Doing that creates a 90 degree angle from the side-port, to the charger.

Upvote 0
Check this out.

Hold the phone in your hand like this.
http://www.dreamstime.com/cell-phone-in-hand-photo-thumb11235034.jpg

Now, place the phone in your pocket without adjusting the phones position in your hand. The *bottom* of the phone SHOULD be facing upward. If I pull the phone out while I'm listening to music the phone should be right where I need it to be. I don't need to pull the phone out and then rotate it to receive the call.

Makes perfect sense to me - thanks.

Upvote 0
Check this out.

I guess you missed the whole clear point about when the phone is sitting on a desk stand :thinking::thinking: and thus the ports are not accessible on a stand :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I guess you missed the whole clear point about when the phone is sitting on a desk stand :thinking::thinking: and thus the ports are not accessible on a stand :rolleyes:

Then just don't put it on a stand? or get a 90 degree connector like someone mentioned and it should still work.

I personally like the bottom/top ports so I can hold it and not have the cable in the way

Upvote 0
Then just don't put it on a stand? or get a 90 degree connector like someone mentioned and it should still work.

I personally like the bottom/top ports so I can hold it and not have the cable in the way

"just dont put it in a stand". Really? Why? Why should I have to change that? I have a work space, the space is very good for me, it allows me phone to sit in front of me on a stand in my view exactly as I see fit as I work.

Upvote 0
"just dont put it in a stand". Really? Why? Why should I have to change that? I have a work space, the space is very good for me, it allows me phone to sit in front of me on a stand in my view exactly as I see fit as I work.

get a phone with the port locations where you want them. it's a done deal with this phone so if you want it bad enough you'll have to learn to live with the port locations

Upvote 0

Yea why should you have to change tht, right? Instead, it should be changed away from the common sense majority (safe assumptions) just to tailor to your needs, right?

So I ask you the same question, why should I have to change that? Just because you want it to work with your stand?

Reactions: apavolka
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones