• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post Your Last Purchase

C8532102_a1

Ceiling fans seem to pull all the hot air from my attic to the interior of the room where it makes it feel 10 degrees warmer once outside temps get past 90. So they only get used at night here.

However, I do have a decent collection of vintage, 1940s-50s Westinghouse desk fans that do a much better job and allow me to turn down the A/C which always wants to freeze up if it's past 95 out and the humidity exceeds 85%.

The most recent was the smaller, late 50s Westinghouse fan that has plastic blades vs. metal but is otherwise the same design with the finger-chopper grille. $35 at our Peddler's Mall, another vendor mall.

Polaroid 600 OneStep camera. I wasn't kidding about whenever my boss tries to make me use my phone to send her a photo of a serial number of a golf car repair via MMS that I was gonna start using a more 'vintage' fashion to 'send' her a 'photo'. It's a bit more 'modern' a camera, but good luck finding SX film, Type 75 film for the more 'interesting' Polaroid cameras.

I obviously wanted a more vintage camera, such as the 210 or even an original 'land camera' with the spotlight flash bulb, since they're all priced 12 dollars in the same booth, but there's a mixed opinion on whether 600 film actually works on that 'vintage' a camera. the camera itself said type 75 which I've never heard of, and only 600 colour is available at the Target. The one I settled on looks more like something you'd find at K-Mart in the early 1990s, but it will get the job done.

A google play card, I have to delete my old email since it was hacked into.
Yeah, is the universe got a fist to my face to me lately? Although I am happy with my girl.

A really neat looking designed Samsung HDTV from 2006. It's pre-smart TV (which is a good thing IMO) and unlike the Vizio 4K, standard def content which is all I watch anyway, doesn't look like utter crap on it. It's 40" not including the large bezel with front-firing speakers, and has this silver highlighted trim with a large round power button on the bottom. $50 at our Goodwill. It predates the 'capacitor/led strip short' era of 2012-14, and the disposability of modern Samsung TVs. It weighs a ton compared with a modern one which weighs nothing, and is made in Mexico over made in China. It also has TONS of inputs over the Vizio which only had two HDMI and nothing else. I can plug in a multitude of analog gear into this cool gadget. It's also more closer to 'vintage' than what was there prior. I'm still holding out hope for a CRT that's from the late '60s or early '70s though, to go better with the '60s look my home has now, but all I see in CRTs are 1990s black plastic crap TVs.

I have a mid seventies Mitsubishi that still has an outstanding picture for a CRT. It weighs so much that it still sits on my bedroom dresser and is one cool looking TV. Swing by and I'll gift you the set. I live in Kansas. :)

I live in KY. A bit too far sadly. I wish I had the same luck as Shango066 on YouTube, as he seems to just cross paths with every era of ancient TV there is, whether it's out on a curb, or in a desert, or just browsing literally the last Circuit City left in existence (he lives in the L.A. area, which I would have expected to have ditched CRTs long before Kentucky ever did)

Sadly once analog shut down here, every old TV went extinct that week except some 1990s black plastic crap and 2005-era silver-faced fake flat screen CRT sets. Like with cars never being older than 1990 around here after Cash for Clunkers, you'll never find a TV older than 1999 or 1997. Everyone truly believed that once analog shut down, the TV, even if it ran on cable (which analog cable **just** EOL'd a little over a year ago) was now a huge brick needing immediate replacement. Even the 'ads' run by the FCC tried to pull such a stunt. Or at least, that's how our local newscasters interpreted it and ran with it.

I'm just wanting something like a New Vista tabletop with vacuum tubes inside for a couple of rooms where there are entertainment cabinets that are all but impossible to move, but would otherwise accept a tabletop around 20-25" in size. Must have two knobs, though. No ICs.

I tried to attempt estate sales, but those here are all online only, no public visits allowed. Garage sales are run by people younger than I am who've never heard of CRT TV's. They might have a mid-2000s plasma though.

I just find it so odd that AM-only vacuum tube, all-American 5 radios and console stereos from the '40s-50s are a dime a dozen, yet TVs from the 60s and 70s only show up available if you're lucky to live close to the West Coast.

Last edited:
I had a Vizio flat screen when the fad for them started. It did the Vizio "pop of death" after a couple of years and I just threw it out. Ebay had capacitor/power supply kits for repair but I was like, screw um, I ran over it with my truck and took pictures and put them up at Vizio site.

lol

Pop of Death/click here

I got a 2009 Vizio that is in my back patio, which is enclosed with curtains. Thing produces an excellent picture, 720p only but most of my content is black and white or 4:3 aspect 480p non-HD content like episodes of The Waltons or The Munsters but at least on a 720p panel that's no larger than 40" it doesn't look utterly horrible like the same content on a more 'modern' 4k panel. Viewing angles are a lot better since it had a matte display (the newly-acquired Samsung the same) and has better black levels with the older CCFL backlight tech, which oddly seems to outlive the modern cost-cutting LED strips that kill many modern sets. Any older, 2010 or earlier and smaller LCD HDTV has the same reputation as a CRT in 2009, as many are tossed out in still-working order or sell almost to a 'give it away' price at a Goodwill, some get busted up before disposal as if to convey 'hey I hate this TV and will make damn sure it won't work in case you find it on curb' which I have never understood. Some people honestly go to great lengths to take a perfectly working set that's just a few years old, and completely destroy it to ensure nobody can use it, not even trying to give it away.

Consumerism stinks. Modern TVs are built so cheap, with super reflective displays and horrible viewing angles (looking at you, Smasnug!) and short-lived short-happy LED strips that when they fail, you lose half the picture or the TV won't turn on.

I bought a 65" Pioneer Elite projection screen tv, I was the third owner and I paid 2 grand for it back then !

I lugged it two or three moves with me and I finally got tired of it's limitations for playing with newer toys technology and attempted to give it away.

No one wanted it, I ended up putting it on the curb with a sign that said Free and Works fine on it, and it sat there for a week until the garbage truck got it !

The original purchase prices for this was $13,000.00 !

1692530589248.jpeg

Rear Projection TVs were always crap. Even if you sat directly in front of one, it had the most milky, washed out picture ever. I noticed that in the 80s.

index.jpeg

Our vendor mall is atttempting to pawn off a very 2000s looking Sony Grand Wega rear projection set, that's priced now at $120, with the tagline 'be the king of your trailer park with this tv'. Can't anyone grasp that nobody wanted a rear projection screen even in the 1990s? you couldn't give any away even then. I remember the early 1990s and rear projection failure well. Soon as more modern sets arrived, the many woodgrain rear projection sets would be seen right at garbage pickups and on curbs. they were terrible, and I'm genuinely impressed one actually survived into 2023.

x15842we655-f_FR.jpeg

Aside the horrible picture and viewing angles, they were never intended as maintenance-free sets. People didn't know it then even, but they required service monthly to re-align the three tubes and clean the mirrors. Many did not, it just was 'a tv' and got treated as such, until the screens either failed, or you only saw the on-screen display and nothing else, or like one experience with a neighbor, a huge bright flash, loud bang and tons of glass from the rear of the set, which was one of the three picture tubes imploding due to a faulty flyback. That TV was only a few years old too.

Last edited:
I have been doing the home theater thing since Radio Shack came out with their first discreet 4 channel receiver !

Moved up from there to Denon, Pioneer Elite and so forth.

Back in the free satellite days, some had free wide open cards for direct and dishnet tv, lol, this post for educational purpose only.

The tag on the picture says 2006. (this is the pioneer elite 65")

doh1.JPG

Today's set up: Onkyo 5 channel Receiver(80 watt/channel), Pro Audio Speakers (fronts and center), KEF Speakers (rear try-way), Pioneer Elite Subs (self powered 400 watt each), 65" TCI Led flat screen.

The speakers are the only thing left from the original build with the Pioneer projection tv project, they are lifetime warrantied and I have sent the KEF's back to Britain to be serviced and replaced one of the Pro Audio's after I goofed the cone by knocking it over.

stands (1).JPG

Last edited:
Bought myself a S23 Ultra "from my wife and kids" as an early B-Day present. Traded in my wife's S20 FE 5g for $800 value....originally paid $700 for it 2 years ago.

Also new cases and screen protectors that are pretty much identical to what I currently have on my S22 Ultra.

Waiting for the phone to be delivered today.

Back
Top Bottom