• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Power Button Not Working, Maybe Need To Downgrade!

OhShizzl3

Jan 5, 2011
Hey, basically I updated my ROM about a week ago for my SD card to come up with "Read Only" and I read that I need to get an adaptor to link to my computer to fix the disk from there (which is ordered but hasn't arrived yet)
Yesterday because I really needed me camcorder for something I decided to try and format the card from Clockwork which didn't work, I then formatted the "SD-ext" which is when everything started to go downhill.
After I turned it on for some reason the power button don't work anymore and I have to unlock my phone using the click button in the middle at the bottom. The power button does kind of work but it randomly pops up with the menu which comes when you hold it down every now and then.
Is this a hardware issue so I have to downgrade?
If so can I have step by step instructions because I hear it's a very risky process, though I do hope it doesn't come to that

If anything needs explaining again I will do so :)
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Hey, basically I updated my ROM about a week ago for my SD card to come up with "Read Only" and I read that I need to get an adaptor to link to my computer to fix the disk from there (which is ordered but hasn't arrived yet)
Yesterday because I really needed me camcorder for something I decided to try and format the card from Clockwork which didn't work, I then formatted the "SD-ext" which is when everything started to go downhill.
After I turned it on for some reason the power button don't work anymore and I have to unlock my phone using the click button in the middle at the bottom. The power button does kind of work but it randomly pops up with the menu which comes when you hold it down every now and then.
Is this a hardware issue so I have to downgrade?
If so can I have step by step instructions because I hear it's a very risky process, though I do hope it doesn't come to that

If anything needs explaining again I will do so :)
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Did you not do a Nandroid backup which you can revert back to?

Upvote 0
Well after I formatted the SD card it kinda went.
And btw the power button is definitely a hardware issue as I put the phone into recovery and I can't select any option.
I guess the only thing I can do right now is to put downgrade to stock and see if HTC can fix it =/

How would I go about doing this coz I have no clue, I never used a warranty on anything before

And can someone please link me instructions for downgrading please?
I keep seeming to find old versions ...

Upvote 0
Is your SD a goldcard? If so you might need it in the phone to run the RUU. Don't know whether the RUU process needs to write anything to the SD - it isn't obvious to me that it should, but I've never had to use one.

Edit:
Personally I'd be inclined to wait until the card is working, so that I could back the phone up and copy everything to a computer as well. And then I'd probably try a clean ROM install and see if the problem is still present, just to be sure it's really hardware (and save the hassle of sending it off if not).

But a question just occurred to me: did you use recovery or hboot to test the power button? It's the bootloader which uses the power button to select options, not recovery (which uses the trackpad). Mind you, if it didn't turn the screen off when you pressed the power button when in recovery the button wasn't working anyway. And I'd not recommend entering the bootloader if the power button is suspect, because I don't think you could boot the phone again without the power button...

Upvote 0
Oh sorry yeah it was the bootloader bit. The power button is definitely faulty because when I put the battery in I didn't need to press the power button to turn it on so I think it definitely needs to be fixed

And no the SD card is not a gold card, but as this hasn't been done before I guess I'll just wait for my adaptor to be on the safe side. I don't really want a

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones